“Expensive, but this is a resort!”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cincinnati
“Expensive, but this is a resort!”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Yes the room rate was high but you get what you pay for. This is a self-contained resort, with a beautiful lobby and on lovely grounds. What you get for your money is value. Excellent accommodations, excellent service and some nice touches that make guests feel welcomed to justify cost. Complimentary services that I experienced: pool and beach towels, ongoing drinking water at pool, beach chairs, lobby and pool Internet, health club (and wow it really is a nice one), fresh fruit in health club, bottled water upon hotel arrival, 2:30 cookies and lemonade each day, sample bar drinks offered in lobby.
Our family has high expectations and we were very happy at this resort. Yes the food is expensive, and the drinks are too, again this is a resort and doesn't even compare to the Sheraton next store or some other nearby hotels we popped in to visit.
Of special mention: Sally and Marquis in health club. Both very professional and friendly. Natasha on the beach- friendly and helpful. Concierges very willing to help and friendly. Staff at pool very friendly and helpful. Pool area very clean.
Areas of improvement- staff in lobby needs to be more aware of guests that are in the lobby and public hotel areas in bathing suits and bare foot. There is signage about this but didn't seem to be enforced and this guest behavior diminishes what an upscale hotel should be. I witnessed this over several days, in many different parts of the hotel. Some guests just don't have any class.

A wonderful stay, lots of kids activities, tennis courts, basketball court, ping pong and very fun! And a very large attractive heated pool too.

Room Tip: We had 2- standard rooms, a king and 2 doubles and a standard room was just fine.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
HarborBeachMarriott, Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thanks for your posting!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We recently returned from 5 amazing days at Marriott's Harbor Beach Resort in Ft. Lauderdale. Perfect weather (mid-high 80's everyday) and outstanding service at this hotel.
We arrived at the hotel before 11:00 AM, had requested an early check in, but since guests had not checked out yet, our room was not ready. We got something to eat, went swimming, and our room upgraded to full ocean view was ready before one.
We spent the whole day at the pool, but the temperature was a little too cold for me. I called up to the manager's office and spoke to his assistant Tracey, She explained they usuallly keep it at 86 degrees (it clearly was about 80). She sent an engineer to check out the pool who determined something was broken, replaced it, and voila; pool was perfect! If no one calls to complain, there is no way the hotel knows the water is that cold; so, always speak up!
That evening we noticed we had only one chair on our balcony. I called down to the front desk and requested another one, which was delivered almost as soon as I hung up the phone!
The next day, as we were leaving for the pool we noticed our safe would not lite up and determined it was probably the battery pack. We called down to the front desk and assumed someone would fix it that afternoon, but again, as soon as we hung up, someone was at our door and replaced the battery. (most hotels, they wouldn't replace it for hours).
When we got to the pool I phoned Tracy and thanked her for the warmer pool, and mentioned how we also appreciated the immediate attention regarding our balcony chair and safe. I mentioned how much we appreciated the individual attention we received from all the employees; always a "hello, how's your day, can I get you anything, and many knew our names as well.
In true Harbor Beach style, we received a "Thank You" tray of goodies from Tracey; a nice bottle of wine, amazing fruit tray, dozen of their homemade cookies, bottles of evian, even milk for the cookies.
This hotel caters to its guests. Whatever you need or want they will get for you. Hotel is spotless: employees can be seen all hours of day and night cleaning, shining, sweeping etc. and each of these employees is friendly, helpful and will go out of their way to make your day perfect (example: someone had taken our two towels whiile we were in the pool at night {since it's cold when you get out I had put them on a chaise by the pool ladder}. I noticed an employee picking up towels left over by swimmers who had long gone and thought perhaps she had moved them. She had not (a guest had taken them), but she went over to the towel booth and replaced them for us).
There are tall glass coolers of fresh lemon and orange slice water, free cups of fresh fruit and homemade cookies and lemonade in the afternoon.
Happy hour at 3030 Ocean Bar from 4-7 is great; especially the mahi mahi sliders!
Sea Level Restaurant & Bar offers a great assortment to munch poolside or comfortably on cushioned rattan sofas & chairs; try the sea-salted peel & eat edamame, huge sandwiches, or homemade chips. Peter at the bar is awesome!
The beach is beautiful;ocean was a little too cool for me but in summer I'm sure it's perfect. Try a cabinette on the beach for shade.On your way to the beach, try out the oversized "swing for two", especially nice at sunset.
There are private bungalows for rent with large flat screen TVs at the far end of the pool, cushioned beach beds& umbrellas for two which we used every day, or ample chaises with umbrellas. But be sure to go down early and cover your choice with a few beach towels as the preferred ones go quickly.
We did not venture out much as this was to be a relaxing "do nothing,stress reliever" trip (it definitely was) but we did eat at Il Mulino (Italian) on A1A, which was amazing; also try Casablanca, a favorite spot of locals as well and you won't be disappointed.
I really have nothing negative to say about the Harbor Beach, except that we had to leave! We loved it so much we checked to see if it was part of the Marriott Time Share (it is not).
We will be going back again, and soon!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vivohara
Tracy is a super star - glad that you enjoyed everything!
Centerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I go here every year on my birthday. I absolutely love this place. It's like being in your own resort. Everything is clean, pool is great, beach right there, food and drinks and spa all are wonderful!

Room Tip: Ocean view is way to go, so nice to hear the waves at night.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I myself rarely write reviews on hotels, but since I have been keeping up the last few months on everyone else's on this hotel, I thought I would share my opinion.

There is no doubt this is a beautiful hotel. Clean, well decorated and wonderful views. I even bought a candle from the spa gift shop so my house can smell like the lobby. I do have to agree with the other reviewer, staff at the gift shops/spa shop not friendly. I felt like I was bothering them just by asking a few questions. Hello...I just spent $85.00 on two candles?!

When we checked in the room was not ready, which was no big deal. Since I am Platinum Elite with Marriott they said they upgraded me to a pool/ocean view room. Was really hoping for a suite, but no big deal. I used my points for the 5 nights, so I assumed there would be no freebees. The person that checked me in was very unhelpful. I was watching the person next to me check in and the front desk person was going over the map of the resort, talked about the restaurants, kids club etc. Not my guy, he just told me the room was not ready and we can give our luggage to the bell person. I had to ask, where do we change our clothes, where is the pool, the restaurants? How do we get to the beach? A 3 minute introduction would have been helpful since I was traveling with 3 children and did not want to walk around the hotel looking for everything. He seemed in a huge hurry even though no one was behind us in line.

It is a very expensive to eat and drink, but I knew that going in. I did not know that a Budlite can would be $7. Yikes! The beach is very nice and it is great you don't have to walk across A1A to have access to it. The chairs are fine and the little beach hunts are great too. We never had to pay for them, they were just set up and we used one. The beach is very clean and had sand toys for the kids to use.

My kids LOVED the Kids Club (a little too much at times...those darn X-Box's). The staff there was very nice and I felt comfortable leaving my kids there. However, keep in mind they are not babysitters and your kids can leave at any time without you knowing.

The meeting space is wonderful. I could see wanting to plan a meeting there. The sales staff are very friendly.

My one complaint I have is I was talking to some guests at the pool, who are also Platinum Elite Members , were bragging because they did not like their view and complained to the managers who then upgraded them to suites (complimentary I might add) This happened to two separate families. One family were staying with points like we were. I asked the front desk if there was a suite available for an upgrade. (Hey...I guess it does not hurt to ask, right?) At first she said there were no suites available, then she kept looking and find some that she would charge me for. I said it did not seem fair to do things for the screamers and not for the ones will be fine with what they get. However, such is life. They sent a nice plate of cookies and milk for the kids. We were fine. We did not spend much time in the room anyway.

All in all, this is a great hotel and I would recommend it to others. I would just warn them about the prices. A bit too high for my blood.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Slago23
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My husband and I have traveled to this hotel at least once per year for the past 5 years and absolutely love the location, the quality of the rooms, cleanliness and the friendly staff. We love that it is in close proximity to some great golf courses and the pool and beach are fantastic and well maintained. I will admit that we have yet to try the spa...its housed in the basement/bottom level and not so appealing. We are headed back again this year from Maryland for the 4th of July weekend....cant wait:)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
HarborBeachMarriott, Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Thrilled that you keep enjoying us - You may be thinking of our Hair Salon - Sullo's is located on the Beach level - our Spa is actually tucked away on the Lobby level - please come for a tour - you will find it a hidden gem, with it's own private pool!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We love this place! I just read some other reviews, and unfortunately it sounds like some people had some isolated incidents that were less than perfect. That's a real shame b/c I've been here four times and never had a bad experience. My belief is that the isolated bad experiences are just that, and don't reflect the overall effort to make this a top resort destination.

Yes the rooms are not ultra high end, and the balconies are small, so if this matters to you I'd factor it in. But this doesn't mean the rooms or balconies are uncomfortable, dirty or otherwise inadequate. I suspect Marriott will be updating some of the rooms soon, but for now they are nice and more than acceptable for this type of spot. I will say my bed wasn't as comfortable this time as in the past, but it wasn't horrible by any means.

Here's what I like so much about this place....

It's about 10 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale airport, so super convenient. And FLA is a great small airport too which is nice. The resort has everything you need, restaurants, shops for essentials and a few gifts, spa, awesome pool area, great restaurant right next to beach and pool, great beach, plenty of beach activities, friendly staff, unlimited supply of towels for pool or beach, unlimited supply of ice cold water (a very nice touch!), free lemonade and cookies each day at a specific time, plenty of wait staff walking around to serve you if you want something, valet parking if you want that, or close by self parking, Starbucks on site, great outside seating to eat, great views from room, very close to lots of great restaurants (Anthony's and Coconuts are two favorites), a couple of close by ice cream spots, very helpful concierge desk staff (got us a rez at Coconuts when they don't even take them normally), a terrific gym with amazing pool/ocean views, and a great lobby area for hanging out, playing games, etc.

If I were going to nit-pick about some very specific areas that would be helpful in my opinion, here they are:

-The Spa is crazy expensive for just wanting to use the hot-tub/steam-room/pool. I think they should offer a less expensive option. Heck, I bet they'd more than make up for it by exposing more people to the spa by letting them use it even if they don't want a massage, etc. when they first enter....makes sense.
-Valet is pricey at $30/day.
-Drinks at the outside restaurant/bar are very weak. I'm not a big drinker, but even I could tell how weak they were.
-The whole pool chair/towel reserving system is whacked. I don't have a specific solution here, but I think it's pretty lame that someone can come down at 7am and throw towels on 5 chairs and claim them as their own for the day.....even if they may not come back until noon! Again, I know this is an issue everywhere, and I know there's no easy solution, but it's sad for a family to spend a ton of $$ to come hang by the pool and not be able to find a chair at 10am. Wish I had a solution....
-It's too bad that jet skiing, sailing, para-sailing, etc. isn't less expensive. I know this isn't part of the hotel, and maybe I'm just cheap. But my guess is that if it were less expensive, more people would do it and the company would end up making more money. It just seems out of reach for many families which is a shame.
-The room next door to us had small kids, so they were up crazy early and let their door slam shut several times each morning. Yes I could have said something and I'm sure Marriott would have mentioned this to the family, but it wasn't that big a deal. However, it occurred to me that maybe all of the rooms should have a message about this on the door that is clearly visible for adults to read (and pass along to their kids as needed). I bet I'm not the only one who experienced this, so this small fix would likely just make for an even more enjoyable experience for all guests.
-I read a lot about the expense of the hotel rooms, and I'm not sure how I feel about this. No it's not cheap, but for a beachfront resort with all that it offers I don't think it's more expensive than anything comparable. If I'm wrong I'd like to hear from you about where you think there's better value....so I can go there!

Room Tip: I've heard that the lower floors have bigger balconies, so if this matters you should check it o...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Opinionsareus
South Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed April 2, 2012

First let me say that I don't usually write reviews, but I read them, so I thought I would return the favor in order to help others. We are frequent travelers with our three children (10,10 and 6) and prefer to stay at higher end hotels when we travel. This is our third Marriott stay this year, the other two being the Custom House Marriott in Boston (fabulous) and the Chateau Champlain in Montreal (also fabulous.) So, I was expecting the "Marriott" experience.

I booked months ago, because there are 5 of us if I can't get a suite I book two rooms. Requested King connecting to a double, high floor, early check in and paid extra for ocean front. I called Marriott after I booked to confirm my requests and was told everything was set, they couldn't guarantee early check in or higher floor, which was fine, but assured me we would get connecting since we had small children.

The day before we left I called the hotel directly to confim again. Was given a brief explanantion of the difference between connecting and adjoining....who knew! Connecting means anywhere on the same floor and adjoing is well, adjoining. Was assured again at that time that we would have an adjoining king to two doubles.

Arrived at the hotel, lovely lobby, smells fantastic. Valet service was outstanding, and bell hops were all so helpful, especially Mickey who was fantastic to my daughters. Went to check in and informed that no, we didn't have adjoining rooms, no our rooms were not ready and no, they didn't have any king beds left. This was about 1pm, so I really didn't expect our rooms to be ready. After some shuffling, was informed that they had double/double adjoining rooms if we wanted that...we took it since we really had no choice. We gave our cell and went to lunch assured our rooms would be ready by 4pm if not sooner. On the way to lunch I received a call from the front desk that one of our rooms was still occupied and wouldn't be ready until after 5pm. After lunch we changed in the bathrooms and went to the beach. We got a call at 4:15 that our first room was ready. At 5:30 we checked into that room and was told we would be called when our other room was ready. We left for dinner at 7pm and we could still hear people in that room. We never got a call, but were able to check into that room at 9:30 when we got back from dinner. No one seemed to care or even apologize

The postives: Breakfast at Riva's was fabulous. Very fresh food, tons of fruit and healthy options. The service at the pool, beach bar, beach cart, restaurants and especially the concierge was exceptional. Drinks at the pool and the food poolside was very good... The location on the beach is perfect. You never have to cross a road and you can walk the beach for miles. There is a Starbucks on property which is nice.

The negatives: the staff at the kids club appeared annoyed, even my 10 year old daughter commented on it. Not a big deal to me, the kids spent one afternoon there making coconut candles and had a blast. The staff in the resort shop and the beach shop were very stuffy and unfriendly. They seemed very put out to help you, my husband wanted to buy a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses and ended up walking away when the woman working didn't acknowlege him at all and ended up buying them at the Sunglass Hut on Los Alos. Wifi isn't free, kinda standard at most hotels these days.

One day our rooms were not even cleaned or the towels replaced. That night my son got sick and I called to the front desk for more towels and some disinfectant of some sort (I certainly didn't expect someone else to clean up after my sick child) and they never came at all with more towels. Housekeeping never once replaced shampoo or soap over a four night stay.

When I checked out and was asked how our stay was, my response was, "I've had better Marriott experiences." The guy at the desk acted like he didn't even hear me and continued to go over my bill with me! Really??? That's customer service 101.

All in all, it's a beautiful location and has the makings of a fabulous hotel. The rooms are tired looking and the balconies are small, but the view and beach make up for it. If updated and attention to detail was increased to "Marriott" standards, it would be great. For the price we paid, $469 a room per night, I won't go back.

Hope this is helpful to others....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Michele227
I would love the opportunity to speak further with you - please reach out when you have a moment.