“You don't get what you pay for”

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina
Ranked #57 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed January 12, 2009

This is a lovely resort. My main problem was the staff of the place. Not one person here was friendly to us. My husband and I booked for 2 nights before our cruise last week at the suggestion of some friends who had already booked the week prior. They went on and on about this fabulous shower! So we wanted to be together so we sucked up the outrageous rates (at that time $239, which included breakfast) and booked a week after them. We checked in first and our room was not ready at 12noon...understandable since 8 cruises were leaving the next day. So, they took our cell phone number and added us to a list of 3 other people they would call when our room was ready. We changed in teh bathroom and went out to the jam packed pool and bar area. Finally got some food service and snagged a few chairs by the pool. When we went to look for towels we were told the man would be right out with some clean ones. He finally shows up 3 1/2 hours later with 5 clean towels that all get taken before I can even get close to him. So it is now 4:30 and we decide to check on the check in process. Room is ready but I asked why no one had called us as we were waiting by the pool. "I have no idea why you were not called" OK..so, I let it go...get up to our room and go right to the shower. Nothing looks different. I don't know what it is suppose to be so I let it go. I went to take a shower to see if I was missing something....It is this water comb thing...Very strange and hard to manage...Not gettting the whole showere thing. So our friends arrive and we meet them downstairs to find out there room is $75 less than our room AND they have the cool shower which apparently we did not get. I ask about the difference in rates and the check in dude says "They booked before you"...so it was like 5 days before us. He then says he can take off the breakfast bar and we could say $25. Gee Thanks! So we go on and I understand you win some you lose some. We paid $75 more a night and They got the better room, better view, better shower. Which I would never have known if our friends weren't there. After several other issues I did speak to a manager and got $50 off but I still had the bad taste since I had to complain like 5 times. We would not stay here again, not because of the issue about the price but because of the rudeness of the staff here..and their almost unwillingness to even smile or be polite.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 7, 2009

We stayed at the Grande for two nights before we boarded our cruise. Having booked it as a stopover hotel (at only $123 per night), we didn't especially seek luxury, we simply wanted convenience - but we were pleasantly surprised to find a completely refurbished, modern, trendy hotel.

The rooms were clean and a good size, and the pool area was equally enjoyable despite half the pool being shaded by the hotel.

The bar by the pool was okay for drinks, but offered a very limited food menu. I would perhaps have walked to the sushi bar, or Einstein bagels down the street for lunch.

The China Grill offered everything we wanted for breakfast, and was perfect if you want a typical 'english breakfast' with eggs, sausages etc. Very very modern trendy decor.

The best reason to stay at this hotel is it's convenience to Fort Lauderdale Port (Fort Everglades) where all the major cruise lines depart from. There may be shuttle buses to the port, we had a car rental so never checked.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We visited Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel & Yacht Club on our way to Jamaica. We stayed there 2 days and I didnt want to leave. The hotel rooms were amazing. The shower was one of those rain showers VERY NICE. The rooms were superb. The beds had plush white down filled linens.

The food and drinks were quite expensive but very good. I would not recommend the China Grill of you are looking for a quick bite to eat.

There was a water taxi right next to the hotel that allowed easy access to other parts of the water way. It was very inexpensive and the ticket was good all day. The 15th st fisheries was amazing. They had tarpon under the dock that were HUGE! Needed to take the water taxi to get there but right across from the hotel. Great food and drinks

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Great hotel, great staff! We stayed here 2 days before our cruise and an additional day after our cruise

Although you can tell that the hotel is an older building (look at the staircase...) , but the renovations done to this hotel have definitely upped it the level that makes the price an absolute steal in Fort Lauderdale! Some of the family stayed at the Atlantic, and quite frankly, although nice, it certainly wasn't worth 3x the cost of this hotel!

The hotel is 15-20 minutes from the International Airport (costs $20 including tip by cap) and around 10-15 minutes by cab to the beach and Galleria Mall. And pretty much around the corner from Port Everglades! The water taxi stop is right outside the hotel, we didn't have a chance to take it this time but will definitely do it the next time we were here - $13 is a great deal for unlimited travel, but this time it was worth for us (as we were 4 people) to take a cab ride to the beach and back.

The rooms are decorated very nicely and have an LCD TV. The bathroom doors are a little bit odd (you cannot lock it) but other than that, I have no complaints. The outside lounge, patio and pool area are extremely nice and staff were so helpful, both at the registration desk and on the patio.

The only thing I would warn people against is the site's restaurant, just like the other reviews, I found the food lacking in taste, size (they were supposed to be sharing sizes) and priced way too high - I'm of Asian descent and get far superior food quality and preparation for that amount of money! In contrast, the patio lunch that we had was wonderful and very reasonable, so next time we stay, we'll probably stick to the patio, bar or the French bakery across the street (wonderful croissants and paninis).

It's hard to beat this hotel's prices if you want a nice hotel in Fort Lauderdale - I take this anytime over staying closer to the beach.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I recently came back from a one night stay at the Ft.Lauderdale Grande Hotel and Yacht Club(it was originally suppose to be 4 nights in total) and was most disappointed. The property was lovely, rooms, looked newly renovated. Contemporary, sleek and trendy in design. The unfortunate problem was ants! I do know that this can be a problem in florida, but control it. Here are a list of other negative features, pool area is in complete shade by 3:45pm. The bathroom door is frosted glass, so if you or your companion gets up during the night to use the facilities be prepared for the whole room to light up. Poolside bar had a very limited menu, would of expected more appetizers on the menu, to have enjoyed with drinks after the pool became shaded. And finally the staff were a bit snobby, not helpful or accomodating.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed January 6, 2009

My boyfriend and I wanted to get away from the snow for a long weekend and we chose to go to Florida. We found a good deal at the Ft. Lauderdale Grande, so we booked it. This hotel has been all revamped and the updated decor was perfect! The hotel has a free shuttle to and from the beach, which is about a 5 to 10 minute short drive (we actually walked back from the beach one day.) Our room overlooked the waterway and what a gorgeous view from our balcony! The staff was wonderful as well. This was a great "Weekend Getaway" stay for us!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2009

love the renovation that took place here creating a very sexy hotel!
our room had floor to ceiling windows and a great terrace overlooking the inter-costal waterway which made for a beautiful & sparkling clean light filled room. decor was very chic - especially the bathroom! we found the front desk staff and bell staff lovely and most helpful. the only disappointment was the China Grill! beautiful space but save your money -- the food was awful!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple