“Great pre-cruise layover”

Ranked #54 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Seattle, Washington
“Great pre-cruise layover”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed here the night before a cruise. I booked using our Hilton HHonors points. Check in was a breeze, but the complimentary infused water was empty every time I went to get a glass. Free sushi was nice as was happy hour with half price wine.

Our room was neat and clean, but was in an older building. The shower left a little to be desired as far as water pressure. Beds were comfortable.

The public places were really very nice. We spent our evening relaxing by the pool in the restaurant outside, then had dinner in the attached sushi/asian restaurant. The food was good, but really expensive. We figured that we'd either spend the money on the food or a taxi to go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
ExecutiveOfficeHFLM, Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear rdobbins_11,
We appreciate your business and your loyalty to Hilton. We’ve shared your observation about the empty water jug. All three of our buildings are the same age. We’re so pleased you enjoyed our pool, our G Bar poolside, and Nanking, our newest offering. We look forward to your next visit.
Neal Spivack, Director of Rooms, neal (dot) spivack (at) hilton (dot) com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,079)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
chicago
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here prior to our celebrity cruise. It is in great location as it is minutes from airport and even shorter to terminal. You can see your ship from the front of hotel.

There are a few restaurants within walking distance as well as a liquor store and wallgreens for pre cruisers. Pre book a ride as not many cabs want to come over and wait for an $8 fare and while close, you can not walk as there are no sidewalks in port area.

You are right by bridge and huge yachts docked everywhere. The small outdoor bar / restaurant is on water and next to pool but service is very slow.

Rooms are small and many do not have balconies or views. They are a bit dated and not up to Hilton standards.

Service was friendly and good other than aforementioned bar area.

Pools small but I like that the pool attendant actually worked hard. Clearing chairs and helping people find spots by moving chairs etc...

Overall in would do this again for a cruise but it would not be a place to stay a week or take kids on a vacation.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Tackitikihut,
Thanks for choosing our hotel for your pre-cruise stay, and also for sharing your experiences. We have a great location here in Fort Lauderdale, close to the airport, the port, the Intracoastal Waterway, the beach, the Water Taxi, and 17th Street with its restaurants and shopping. We have the best views of Port Everglades and the cruise ships entering and leaving. Almost all of our rooms have balconies although the views certainly vary. We appreciate your acknowledging Demetrius, our talented pool ambassador. Please come back soon.
Conroe, Texas
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is a fabulous (and very popular/busy) pre-cruise hotel for a variety of reasons. It's only 2-3 miles from the port, a quick, cheap cab ride. (Warning... The line for cabs to the port on cruise departure day can be VERY LONG!). There is a water taxi directly outside the hotel that runs constantly, up and down the Intracoastal Waterway, with stops at many shops and restaurants. The Intracoastal itself is beautiful. Hotel has a great pool/bar/restaurant area.. A very popular hangout for hotel guests. The marina that the hotel is located on, is a great place to walk along. While there we saw some amazing yachts as well as several fishing boats bringing in the day's catch. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Only complaint was that wifi did not work well at all but the hotel graciously credited our bill on checkout.

The junior suite we had was beautiful. It overlooked the pool and marina. We were pleasantly surprised at how big it was. It had a huge flat screen TV, coffee maker, rain shower heads in the shower ( my son and husband thought this was the best feature).

We will definitely be booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: Book well in advance.. This is a popular pre-cruise hotel because of its proximity to the port. Juni...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed April 27, 2014

By far the worst service I have ever experienced. My personal toiletries were thrown away by the housekeepers, I complained and wrote a report but I have not heard from the hotel at all and this was 2 months ago. I was staying for 2 nights but the reservations were made separately so when I arrived I asked at reception if I could stay in the same room for both nights. I was told that this would be absolutely fine so I left my personal items in the room when I went out the following day. When I returned my key card did not work so I went to reception and was told that the room I was in had been given to someone else, and my reservation for that evening had been cancelled and they did not know where my personal items where. The following day my clothes were returned but all my toiletries were thrown out. I have yet to receive any communication from the hotel despite my numerous phone calls to them, I have received no compensation and at no point have been able to speak to a Manager. The room service was also terrible, I called 20mins before closing and it took 3 attempts before anyone there answered, and when they did the woman was calling down the phone "no more calls" when she realised I was a customer she changed her tune but I could not understand why when they were still open it was so difficult to get through. I am absolutely appalled at the repeated failings of this hotel. Do not stay here, the Hyatt hotel just opposite is wonderful and highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Alexis W
Dear Alexis W,
We appreciate your detailed review and have shared your feedback with the appropriate departments. There seems to have been mutual misunderstanding about your two reservations, for which we regret our part. Our Safety & Security Manager remembers the incident about the shampoo and conditioner you reported missing and has a different recollection. He told you we would email you if we found the missing items, which we did not, nor did our investigation reveal negligence calling for compensation. We’re so sorry to hear that you had difficulty using our “Fresh Connection” in room dining and have shared your feedback with the manager.
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed post cruise in a junior suite in the tower. Daughter and friend stayed in a regular room in the tower.

Good Points - wonderful view, good size rooms although in need of renovations from use soon. Room was clean. Except for management, staff was friendly and helpful.

Not so good points - TV did not work - was told don't worry you don't pay extra for it. Pointed out kind of expectation it would work, was told a maintenance engineer would come, checked twice but one never did.

Went on excursion to sawgrass mall. Van was not air-conditioned and seemed to wander out of the lane with alarming frequency. Was supposed to be picked up at 4 but there were too many people, despite their taking our names down to be picked up. Driver said he would be back. At 5:30 took a cab and paid $50. Saw manager who said they would return the "deposit" the hotel collected for the excursion. Pointed out I was leaving next day and perhaps as Hilton had collected my money they could refund all of it and deal with the company the were using. Manager said no. Asked for name of over-all manager and was refused several times, then told he was not available and was given an email address that subsequently did not work. Suggested one way to deal with it was to have a room credit. Looked up room and then said no. Asked to have her talk with me to Hilton International and was told there was no phone number for them and if I wanted to find one then I could search myself. I called the excursion company and they said they would send the money to the hotel but the "deposit" was a fee that they did not receive, we paid it only to Hilton, not the excursion company. Money never did show up.

So Hilton charged $40 for four people, then we paid $60 to the excursion company, $50 to the taxi but what irks me is Hliton not taking responsibility after taking the money.

Will never stay at a Hilton again and will advocate against them for our conventions.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
1 Thank Anthony W
ExecutiveOfficeHFLM, Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Anthony W,
We're very glad you and your family chose to stay with us prior to your cruise. However, we're very sorry about the experience you had regarding the Sawgrass Mall shuttle service and charges. We'd like the opportunity to speak with you and alleviate some of your concerns. Please email me with a phone number where we may call you to discuss your situation. We look forward to the chance to speak with you.
Daniel Island, South Carolina
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night at the end of our vacation. We chose this hotel mainly due to the convienence of the water taxi stop located right at the hotel. The hotel was average and showed it's age. Bathroom trim was broken and shower head dirty. I probably would not stay here again but the hotel did serve it's purpose for us since we just wanted to explore on the water taxi for a night. The location was nice for walking around and seeing all the yachts.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2014

After reading the reviews I had to see for myself and could not find anything wrong with this place when we stayed here. We loved that the pool guy came around and gave fruit and treats
to the guest around the pool. The happy hour in the lobby bar was wonderful. We stayed in the tower corner room and what a sight to behold with the cruise ships going in and out and the ocean. You could walk to local restaurants and stores.
The water taxi was right outside the hotel. The rooms were updated and clean.
The employees we dealt with were very polite and in a good mood even though they had to work
on Easter. We enjoyed the atmosphere of the the hotel. We can not wait to come back to this place and will recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: The tower rooms have a wonderful view.