“You can't slap paint on it and call it nice. Far from most Ft. Lauderdale places.”

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina
Ranked #58 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was the this hotel for 2 nights. My first impression when walking in was that it was very nice, sheik and updated. However upon futher inspection I was wrong. I stayed in the East Villa second floor. In between buildings there were terrible, musty, chemical type smells. My room's floor was dirty, the lights needed cleaning and there was dust all on the walls. Every part of this hotel is dirty, floors, walls, etc. I think they have the security of the cruise ship business and therefore neglected regular upkeep.

I had a bad experience at the hotel pool bar. I went for lunch and for 1 person it took over 1.5 hours. I had to find a waitress to help me. The chips were stale. The waitress never came back. They did not have cream for my coffee. I had to get up and get the waitress for a refill on my water. Other tables who sat after me had quicker service.

I was there for a conference and the conference area was dingy and cheap. All of the furniture was dirty and written on with pen. The last day I went into the bathroom by the lobby to change before going to the airport. The bathroom was dirty, the chairs in the sitting area were stained. I was going to sit to go through my bag and put gym shoes one but opted not to.

This hotel looks nice, but is really poorly taken care of and dirty. I would not stay here again.

The location is not the greatest unless you want to be by the port or airport. It is not walking distance from anywhere. We had to take a cab everywhere to go out to eat or enjoy the night.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I travel enough to know the standards of Hilton brand and what a well run hotel should look like. This hotel did not meet even the lowest of expectations. The only highlight is that the pool looked nice and the location was in an upscale area with a marina/dock and some proximity to the beach (via shuttle).

The downsides to this hotel, and there are a lot, is that it is priced to suit it's upscale locale and surrounding area...but you do not get the level of service and cleanliness you would expect for the price and the Hilton brand. The room did not meet our expectations in the following ways: the carpeting was dirty/old, the pillow cases were covered in hair from the previous guests (had they been changed at all? didn't look like it!), the shower head was broken (so it dripped loudly and constantly), there was a broken light, the towels were so worn out they should have been thrown away as rags, and the room had paper thin walls (next door was Skyping, heard the entire hour long conversation). We were only there 1 night and we arrived late, so it wasn't worth our time to report these issues to management and seek another room - from previous reviews, the rooms seem to all have similar issues. The rooms are not being maintained and/or cleaned per Hilton standards.

It was a sad, rundown hotel at expensive, luxury pricing. We were also unhappy (but not surprised, given the location) at the parking adder ($21/night for self parking and more for valet)...and there is a public parking lot across the street that for some magical reason is closed 12p-6a. We were given no other option by the front desk than to pay the fee and park at the hotel.

Sadly, this Hilton failed before I even walked thru the door. The front desk refused to answer the phone!! I even called the corporate reservation line and even THEY couldn't get the front desk to answer the phone. I called 4 times over the course of the day to find out if they had an airport shuttle (no!) and reconfirm my reservation, but was never able to get anyone to pick up the phone! When the reservation agent tried (and failed) to reach them, i was told "they must be busy checking in guests". When i arrived, at 8pm, the lobby was busy, but there were plenty of staff at the front desk and it is hard to believe they were non-stop checking people in from 9am in the morning until 8pm at night.

My advice - choose another hotel in the area!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cmm_travels
HiltonADOFO, Front Office Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

On behalf of the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, I would like to offer my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you experienced during your recent visit. Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, which serves as a valuable tool for us to reach out to you and in allowing us to find ways to make improvements to our service. I’m very sorry that you were unhappy with the quality of your guest room; we are working on a number of projects, including replacing all the carpeting throughout the hotel and have created a revamped cleaning process that will include special care to any and all discrepancies in guest rooms. I truly hope that you will consider visiting us again in the future, as your business is important to us Thank you again.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Typical US hotel-chain place - large rooms, efficient staff etc. Location is great overlooking marina, and there is a nice pool with an outdoor bar/restaurant overlooking the water. Did not eat dinner but had a nice supper snack. Our room was large, good view, and the bed was comfy but the place could have used some running repairs. There was a coffee machine but no coffee. Big plus was breakfast in the chinese-themed restaurant; delicious and very friendly service AND HP Brown Sauce! I don't think I would book a stay but our one night was just fine..

Room Tip: Main tower
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is the second time I stayed in this hotel. The first time was before a cruise ship about 1 and a half year ago. Unfortunately the hotel has changed for worse.
Thiis time I stayed 4 nights. One night was as membership rewards as a Hilton Honors and 3 more nights was regular booking.
The setting of the hotel is magnificent with the Marina, the view of the causeway in Fort Lauderdale, the hotel pool sorroundings with the big boats anchored as background. Unfortunately that is about all.
There are long lines for check in and check out of the hotel and the staff is very slow.
During my stay the TV control did not work and had to be changed, the key code did not work and also had to be changed. One of the days the room had not been made until 7PM and I had to complain at the reception guest.
At last there was not hot water in the shower in the last morning of my stay. I guess it was because the hotel was full due to the many cruiseships in the Harbor.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MiriamM972
Lisa C, Front Office Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

We appreciate your loyalty as our guest and a Hilton HHonors Member. I’m sorry that we could not make your experience as enjoyable as your last stay with us. I’m currently monitoring front office staffing levels and we’re conducting additional refreshers on efficient check-in and check-out procedures to reduce wait times for our guests. Please be assured that our engineering team has resolved the issue with the lack of hot water. Please accept my sincere apology and let us know if you have any additional comments or concerns.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Booked for one night stay via priceline. Maybe the main tower is different, but we were in the smaller tower and although the furniture & fixtures are updated, the room and halls just look beat up. Dirty, damaged, ants crawling up the door. Just not nice.

i dont isially complain about the service, but we requested a room service menu menu at 9:15. Had i known it would have taken almost am hour to get it i would have ordered blind. By the time we got it room service closed.

Takeaway from the bar in the very noce lobby was ok. Fairly priced. But it kind of killed the mood and isnt becoming of a 4 star hotel. Many sites list this as 4* becaue of the brand, bit on level of service and condition of room id have to disagree strongly. I would definitely not reccomend this hotel.

2  Thank GoHatters

I’m sorry to hear about your disappointment with our service and condition of your guest room. We are currently undergoing a deep cleaning and maintenance program, and hope to have our condition issues improved shortly. I apologize that the menu was not in your guest room prior to your arrival which caused a delay in your dining experience. Additionally, I can assure you that we work with a local pest control company when issues may arise and the ant problem that you mentioned has been addressed. We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We checked in on November 6. The first room was extremely dirty...stained carpet, old popsicle stick left on the table on the balcony, a hole in the wall on the balcony...so we asked to be moved. The second room wasn't any better and it had several elements missing including a lamp and coffeemaker. Again we asked to be moved. By this point we were just exhausted and decided to deal with the dirty, out dated room. I did see 2 bugs in the bathroom sink that night. I woke up the next morning to an infestation of tiny bugs that i was told were "gnats". I reluctantly took a shower and afterwards found that the "gnats" were also on the desk and table and on the bed.

At this point I backed my bag and left. I didn't have anywhere to go, but i didn't care. The state of the hotel was the topic of conversation at the conferenceI was attending that morning. Others reported the bugs along with other gross problems like finding a wet towel in the bathroom when they checked in. Several people had moved rooms and others checked out like I did. There were only 2 people that I found that didn't find their rooms to be disguisting. I tried to post a picture of the "gnats" but it won't upload for some reason.

I tweeted the Hilton and called in to the Hilton Honors rewards number to report the situation. That night I did get email stating that I would get a refund for the one night. I explained that I wasn't complaining because I wanted a refund. I want the situation to be corrected. I want someone that is "in charge" to take notice and deal with the obvious problem. I was also contacted by someone in the Fort Lauderdale area by email. He was supposed to call me this week and I have yet to hear from him.

On top of the disgusting state of the rooms (the lobby was actually nice), the service at the check in desk was lacking. I spoke to at least 3 different people and none of them tried to apologize. In fact, they acted like they weren't surprised at my problem.

The restaurant, China Grill, in the hotel is insanely overpriced! My half priced sushi and buy one get one free glass of whine was still $58!

I really hope that someone in Hilton takes notice to the state of this hotel and corrects it. I would hate to think that this is considered acceptable by Hilton.

3  Thank Crystal B
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here for two nights because of a function at the Convention Center. This was the host hotel offering a convention rate and it was close by so I booked it. As far as convenience to the convention center, it was perfect. There's a path that gets you there within five minutes by foot.
I expected more than I got. The exterior is beautiful, surrounded by yacht after yacht. The lobby is modern and attractive. This is where it stopped in my opinion. The room was "okay". It was obvious that it is worn and really needs remodeling. It was not what I expect from a Hilton brand hotel.

1  Thank TAGrammy