WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club

Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club
Ranked #5 of 134 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Dallas, Texas
“Best Beach in East Coast and very family friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

We spent the weekend at the Lago Mar Resort in Fort Lauderdale. The resort has a beautiful, long wide beach with many Coconut Trees and hammocks. There is a lot of shade available on the beach, although there is also the very sunny part of the beach.

Our room was a one bedroom suite overlooking the pool. We were on the fifth floor. Right outside of our balcony was a palm tree, it was fun to listen to it rustling in the wind. It was a full moon weekend and the moon over the ocean in the evening was very romantic!

The hotel caters to families and a lot of local people belong to the club. There are two pools, one is a lagoon style pool which has lots of kids and families in it, and the other is a round, deep and quiet pool. We liked both, but this is definitely more family oriented than just a "couples" resort.

I had a great time shopping in the Resort Shop. I bought a Lilly Pulitzer bathing suit, two other suits and a Tommy Bahama sun dress. I could have easily bought more - but I had spent more than I planned already.

Dinner was very nice - a piano player is in the restaurant, and the menu was okay. I wouldn't say it was great - but good enough.

Definitely take the time to go there - especially if you are traveling with your kids and are looking for a fun beach vacation that is off the beaten track.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Georgia L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

We spent our this years vacation at Lago Mar (it was our first stay in Fort Lauderdale). All what I have to say is: EXCELLENT playce and GREAT vacation. As mentioned by other, the Hotel is in a quiet zone, which for relaxing is excellent. On the other hand, everyplace can be reached by car, taxi or water taxi in a few minutes ! The hotel, the beach, the pools all great ! Also the service, on the pool bar, concierge etc. excellent and always (!!!) friendly ! Also in the restaurant, if you have any special wishes, no problem, they have always been solved in an excellent way! I would highly recommend this place to all, that wants to have a realxing and absolutely great vacation time in Fort Lauderdale. We will definitelly return to this excellent place !

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank starySwitzerland
Beaufort, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

I booked this through points we had and was very happy. We arrived and were given an upgrade from a regular room to a King Suite with a view of the pool and the beach, which was great. We ordered room service late at night and it was quick...and a good sandwich, nothing fancy but did the trick. We also ordered breakfast in our room and enjoyed it. The beach, pool and playground were great for our family. We were only there one night, and enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Travel017
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

This was one of the oddest stays I've had at a hotel.
Positives: (i) the beach is great, very wide and very long, (ii) the room was large and clean with nice flat screen tvs, (iii) the set-up person and the server at the beach are both very nice and very quick, (iv) internet was complimentary and very good
Neutrals: (i) the pool was nice - but with so many kids and people, they really need more pools, I could not relax by, or swim in, the pool during the day, (ii) the drinks and food are ok but I didn't think there was much selection beyond bar food, would have liked more healthy selections for both adults and children (watch out for less-expensive liquors used in the frozen and other cocktails, not good)
Negatives: Now for the BIZARRE: (i) the staff, generally struck me as very odd and self-consumed - bellman and concierge were not there when I needed them - hostess required my repeating things over and over again - strange Hawaiin-looking shirts, odd mustaches and facial hair, gold chains, uncomfortable mannerisms, really did not like the staff except the aforementioned two person beach staff (ii) key card repeatedly would not open the door to my room- I had to go multiple times, daily, to the front desk for card trouble, they asked if I wanted an "engineer" (not particularly! ) - working card just fine, or a room with a working card scanner - save the "engineer" for before or after my visit
All in all, I feel bad for Lago Mar because I feel as if the hotel has so much potential given its terrific beach, buildings and rooms, and history. But I certainly wouldn't give it 4 stars with its current staff and provisions. I felt like I was at some strange mid-rung beach club in the 1980s during my visit.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JJF1
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

My husband and I vacationed at Lago Mar for 3 nights and had an awesome time! Every staff member we encountered was so helpful and friendly, especially in the on-site restaurant. The pool area was clean and plenty of room for lounging, even on a busy weekend. The private beach was not crowded, had free chairs to use (and ones to rent for the day although we didn't use those), and was a great place to relax and swim. The room was spacious and clean, although showed some signs of age. The breakfast buffet in the morning was very good, especially the omelet/pancake station. We would definately return here and would highly recommend it. The resort catered to families but was fun for couples as well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed at this resort in July with our two young children in a one bedroom suite overlooking the pool area.

The room was spacious enough with a good size balcony but we felt the decor was a bit tired looking and could do with some modernising. We also felt that the corridors and public areas would also benefit from some upgrading.

Now, to the good points.

The pool area and access to the beach are great. The lagoon style pool is large with plenty of loungers scattered around and you can easily walk onto the beach. In between there are some hammocks amongst the trees. The beach is large and was also very clean.

There is plenty to do and our kids had a go at tennis, ping pong and mini golf as well as spending hours in the pool.

The resort is in a quiet location and it is a 5-10 minutes car ride to the bars and restaurants at the public beach.

The nearest water taxi stop is about a 15 minute walk - we got a cab there and walked back. I would highly recommend taking the water taxi as a good way to see some of the expensive houses in the area. We spent a couple of hours doing this and then got off at Las Olas Boulevard for dinner before getting it back again to the stop nearest to the Lago Mar.

Overall, we enjoyed the facilities the hotel had to offer and it is in a good quiet location but it would benefit from some modernisation in our view.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

My husband and I took a long weekend trip for our 4th of July. This was our first time at Largo Mar and chose it simply because of it's high ratings and also being it is one of the few resorts actually on the beach. We sprung for the Oceanfront villa and are so happy we did! Wonderful views and easy beach access. We have no children and wanted to just relax, but noticed how family friendly this resort was and even though it was flooded with families with children, they were kept so occupied by the many activities, we didn't see it as an issue at all! We must say you are definitely will pay a little extra there, but it is well worth it! The staff was amazing and warm and helpful. From Nick the concierge who hooked us up with a reliable car service (Nicky is the best!) and wonderful dinner plans (Charlies Crab) to "Betty" the beach girl who sets you up every day! She's a wonderful asset to the resort and deserves to be pointed out. Our first night we got in late so we dined at Acquario and it was truly a delicious meal! We live close to NYC so we eat out quite often and I have to say Acquario really is on par with the menu. Fair prices for the service. The promenade bar was awesome! I say much better than the Ocean Grill (I think that would be the family choice) both bartenders, Shawn and Sal are fantastic and really do aim to please!! You must ask for a "Sal Special Surprise!", it will really put you in a relaxed state! The soda shop was a nice stop for a sweet snack and the pizza's hit the spot. I found the resort over all, was very clean, and well kept. It seemed a bit outdated for the decor, but it also was very tranquil and relaxing so, it did the job! I just can't say enough good stuff about the staff and they truly made our stay memorable. From the breakfast buffet to friendly "good nights" they were incredible. The only issue I would think that was negative would be the whole beach chair/umbrella deal. This really left a bad taste in mouth. You have to pay everyday I thnk its $22 a day for two comfortable beach chairs and an umbrella and side table. Most places have this as a courtesy, but here they charged. We're still scratching our heads about that one. Thats where Betty comes in!! She's a real doll and probably understands that this is a not so nice thing to charge for. Anyway, again, it pays to do this because the so-called chairs they do supply are GROSS!! They look like they have been laying around for years and not cleaned! But, with that said, thats really the only thing I'd have to say was a thumbs down. Other than that, I'd give Largo Mar an excellent rating!! Worth every penny!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple