“How lucky can a person be.”

Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Ft Lauderdale
“How lucky can a person be.”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

To paraphrase Lou Gehrig's farewell speech :"I feel like the luckiest man on the face of the earth". Let me start by saying I live in the area and to be able to take a short drive to this truly idyllic place is a wonderful thing. I have been coming to Lago Mar ever since I moved to the area in 2006 and it never disappoints. A world class resort in my back yard...how much luckier can you get. The resort has been family owned since, I think, the 1950's, an accomplishment all by itself. You are made to feel welcomed by everyone who works there, and some of the faces have been there for as long as I've been going there, many longer than that. That in itself speaks volumes about the quality of the place. It is a consistent AAA Four Diamond Award winner.

The resort is a little off the beaten path of A1A (the main beach "drag" in Ft. Lauderdale), which is part of its allure. No need to cross a busy road to get to the beach, just walk out from your room, through the pool area, and there it is. A private beach that has to be the deepest beach in all of South Florida. The whole resort is beautifully landscaped and not a leaf is out of place. Two amazing pools and did I mention the BEACH!

We took advantage of a couples massage at the spa, a treat that should not be missed. The rooms are beautifully furnished and are kept up to date, as is the entire resort. My favorite is one of the executive suites that overlook the main pool. I believe most, if not all, of the rooms have a balcony that's perfect for a morning cup of coffee. You can watch the ships coming and going from the port. There is a daily breakfast buffet in the main dining room or go to the Soda Shop for lighter fare, my personal preference. They recently completed some renovations that included new decking around the pools and the most gorgeous piece of granite (green marbled) I've ever seen at the pool bar. It's close to all the attraction's in Ft. Lauderdale, we had tickets for Chicago at the Broward Performing Arts Center, a first rate theater venue. Many fine dining places are available just a short drive from the hotel (just ask the concierge), or you can dine inside or out at the hotel itself

All I can say is keep up the good work and I hope that the Bank's family continues to own and run this place for decades to come. It's a true treasure. People come from all over the world to stay here, you will hear many different languages, and its right in my back yard. How lucky can a person be.

Room Tip: My personal favorite is one of the executive suites with a view of the pool and grounds.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RonCoralSprings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
New Bern
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I visited for Ft. Lauderdale for a business reunion. We were pleasantly surprise by the beautiful setting and the extraordinarily wide beach behind the hotel. The rooms were large with balconies overlooking the beach or the pool. The food was good and the staff extremely proficient and affable. Two separate pool areas allowed for more privacy for adults, while a bigger free formed pool was frequented by the kids. A popular attraction was the short walk on the beach to the Inlet to see the PM cruise ship departures.

Wonderful experience!!

Room Tip: Try to get a fifth floor location.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carol K
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Overall the hotel is great for the price. I will write a list of advantages and disadvantages of my own experience.

Advantage
- Right on the beach with private beach so no need to cross the road or drive to get to the beach
- Breakfast package is great, you can wake up, have a full continental breakfast and go directly to the beach
- Price for the value compare to other hotels in the area is great
- Valet parking is included in price
- Chairs free on the beach
- All rooms have Fridge so you can stock up on cold food and beverages. Some rooms have kitchen but of course you have to pay more.

Disadvantage
- Need to drive to go to any store or food place (unlike if you stay north near Las Olas)
- Cleaning crew for the room are rude and sometimes they dont understand requests. They come in even if the "do not disturb" sign is on the door. (all other hotel crew are great and friendly)
- Umbrellas on the beach cost 25$ per day and the sign says only until 5PM. Even if you return to the beach 4:30, they said its already close.
- In all food, drinks, and other services including the breakfast package, they charge a 18% tip.
- Food in the hotel is expensive

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Leche1978
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I just stayed here with my wife and two young children. The showstopper of this hotel is the beach. I thought you had to go to the Caribbean for the beach vistas and access here. The hotel is right on a big stretch of wide beautiful beach. I couldn't get over how nice the beach was here and that it was steps from my room. My children also loved taking advantage of the shuffleboard, putting greens, and the playground on the beach. I stayed in the basic room- I found it a little small but it was decorated nicely in a Key West/Tommy Bahamas style. The hotel is an older hotel from another era, but it is showing its age gracefully and is well maintained. My only complaint is that the swimming pools are not young child friendly- they are not zero entry and the shallow end is deep enough that my young kids were relegated to the stairs. Also, in September the resort was empty which was nice because we had the beach mostly to ourselves, but sometimes it was a bit eerie it was that empty. The renovations were not going on nor noticeable during my stay- I think they may have been completed. The price for this resort was very reasonable, especially when you consider parking and Wifi are included without a resort fee. We have stayed at some other more modern type hotel resorts on Route A1A in Ft. Lauderdale, and primarily because of the amazing beach, this will be our return spot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joshdent
Deerfield Beach
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This resort is one of the few in Fort Lauderdale that is actually directly on the beach. It is located less than ten minutes from the Airport but it feels like you are on a tropical island somewhere rather in the middle of a major metro area ( private beach and a very accommodating staff. )
I don't need to say a lot more other than was perfect
I will definitely be back.

Stayed Sep 2013

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 40Florida
Connecticut
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Lago Mar because of the very high ratings on Trip Advisor. After I had made reservations, I received an email that stated some construction would be occurring during out stay. I immediately called Lago Mar to find out if this would negatively impact our stay. I was asked which room we had, I replied we were staying in an Ocean Front One Bedroom. The representative told me that the construction was occurring on the other side of the resort and should not impact on stay at all. I called Lago Mar the morning of our check in and was told at 11 a.m. that our room was ready. When we arrived at 1 p.m. I was told that it wasn't quite ready yet. While we waited, I inquired about the construction and was told that some "interior" construction was going on in some of the rooms in our area. I was told it shouldn't be a problem. Well, we were awakened at 8:20 a.m. the next morning to the sound of power tools. Called the front desk and they said I was told about the interior construction. To their credit, they did comp us one night. The other problem was that the resort was relatively empty due to being off season, so WHY did they place a family with a baby in the suite next to us? The other incident was the alarm going off on the hotel safe (which we hadn't touched) at 6 a.m. We were comped a buffet breakfast for two for this incident. These problems aside, most of the staff was very helpful. The maid service is excellent, though one day she was still cleaning our room at 4 p.m. The fitness center is very nice and had high quality equipment. The spa was wonderful and our favorite part of Lago Mar. The staff at the Spa is exceptional. I loved being right on the beach, but it is a bit of a walk to the ocean. I can't understand why the sliders in the living room area didn't have a screen. Maybe it's a Florida thing? We wanted to HEAR the ocean. Unfortunately, the bedroom is at the front of the suite and faces the walkway and parking lot and can be loud. This is the thing I liked the least about the resort. Their "full kitchen" is a stretch. Very limited dishes and fridge space. If a family were staying here it would not be enough. A shout out to Justin, Amber and Michael the photographer. You guys rock!

Room Tip: Get a room off the ground floor. Maybe it's quieter, but you don't have direct access to the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Lago Mar was recommended by a close friend as a resort with a private beach and a very accommodating staff. We ask permission to have our wedding ceremony on Saturday morning at sunrise, they offered to help in any way even down to grading the sand around our ceremony area. This made our day even more special we thank you for a great staff and the beautiful property. All staff members were very friendly from valet, housekeeping, front desk to bartenders, special thanks go to Stephanie and Michael in the Tiki bar. We loved the good old down to earth atmosphere and being able to have a photo shoot with Michael that will be with us forever. We will plan another vacation at Lago Mar.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple