“My dream hotel paradise”

Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the best, the fantastic location, the beach,pools and the gardens. Its so wonderful we could live here forever...we stayed here first time last year and sure come back again in 2014...My dream hotel,always compare any hotel to this....its outstnding and a paradise.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank sanna73

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful resort. Besides the fantastic location, the food and the upscale atmoshere of this timeless resort, what empressed me were the employees...Kudos to John, Glenn, Paul, Michael the Photographer, Erich, Faye, even the General Manager was outstanding.! The cleaning people, maintenance, etc. were very pleasant and did a good job. Of course, with any large operation of this magnitude, there were a few employees who could use some polishing, so to speak....But, I'm sure , knowing the Lago Mar, which has been great for over 50 years, this will be addressed...If you visit, consider hiring Michael Holmes, the Photographer, who took some outstanding, professional shots of my girlfriend and I at scenic locations around the resort and beach...The Lago Mar, can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The rooms in the building containing the main lobby are a little newer and nicer, but all rooms in t...
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for a long weekend, and we enjoyed this property very much. I had booked an executive suite, and at check-in, was offered one overlooking the pool, or one with two bathrooms. We opted for the one with the two bathrooms. The room itself was huge, but it was in probably the oldest part of the hotel - had an outside hallway, and faced the front of the hotel. I couldn't help but think that back in the 50's or 60's, this was probably an efficiency apartment - very popular in Florida at the time. The bathrooms were typical motel-sized bathrooms, but clean and with the usual appointments, although the "spa" lotion was poor. (If you have dry skin like I do, bring your own lotion!) The beds were super comfy, and the location of the room, being away from the pool, was very quiet. The room had blackout curtains - we slept quite late!! A friend of my daughter's was staying in a newer building, (had an indoor, carpeted hallway) and her room was very large as well. Her bathroom was much more up-to-date and spacious, though. Big shower, granite counters. If that is important to you, be sure to ask about it when you check-in.

The common areas and grounds were lovely, and the beach fantastic. We sat on the beach the first day, and when the weather turned cooler, we sat at the pool. We enjoyed the drinks from the pool bar area and the steel-drum music they have on the weekends. If you have children, as many did - this seems to be a great family place! - there is an endless number of outdoor activities, great pool, shuffleboard, tennis, playground, volleyball nets, etc. We had lunch at the main restaurant every day, and thought the food was quite good. The steak salad was especially delicious. We also spent some time in the cute little boutique store. They had a very nice selection - lots of Lilly Pulitzer, Brighton, etc, clothes for kids, and tons of bathing suits. My daughter visited the spa and thought it was very good, though not great. To be fair, we've been to some resorts that are known for their spas.

We felt all of the staff were wonderful, from the check-in personnel, to the valets, wait staff, salespeople in the store, bartenders - they couldn't have been nicer to us.

My only complaint was that the wifi was terrible. I called and complained about the in-room wifi, and was told they'd reset it and to try again in ten minutes. It wasn't any better. It was just very hit or miss. So if you're hoping to do some work on your laptop or ipad through wireless, it could be a problem. I didn't have any better luck in the common areas. Had to resort to doing everything through my phone. Maybe the newer rooms are better? I don't know, again, I'd ask at check-in.

All in all, we really liked the ambiance of this hotel. I had stayed at the Marriott a little further north up the beach last year, and it was night and day. That hotel was full of business travelers. This was much more family-oriented and I do enough business travel that I appreciated the difference!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lch8497
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The hotel in general was nice, what however really let it down and would stop me and my family returning was the fact that we could hear every noise made by the room next door which meant that we had interrupted sleep every night out of our three night stay. on the last night I contacted the front desk who stated they would call the room, however as we did not hear the phone ring, so we can only assume that they did not. I feel for the price we paid we should have been able to expect a good night's sleep. A shame as the staff, service and food at the hotel were 1st class, but not much fun when your too tried to enjoy it, shame on you lago mar !!!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Helentubb
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I decided to go for a short 5 day winter vacation in February 2013 and was not disappointed. We have been to Fort Lauderdale several times before and have stayed at The Westin, The Hilton, and the Marriot beach place. By far this is the best we have stayed at. My wife and I will stay here from now on while in this Fort Lauderdale. The beach is wonderful and well maintained. The largest private beach in Fort Lauderdale, which means that you can have a beer on the beach unlike the public beaches. The rooms were clean and in the classic Florida style. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Best of all, this resort gives you free parking and free wifi. That is a rarity in south Florida.

I have stayed at 5 diamond resorts and this classic family owned resort is just as good.

Room Tip: The upper floors are better if you can get them
1  Thank econ0513
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Lago Mar for one night before leaving on a cruise. This was our second visit to the resort and we were once again very happy with our accommodations and all that the Lago Mar resort has to offer. The pool and beach are lovely and we enjoyed spending some time in each place. We had dinner in the restaurant and found the food to be tasty, well-prepared and presented and fairly priced. All of the staff members were friendly, pleasant and helpful. Arriving the day before the cruise and spending a delightful day relaxing at the hotel was a great way to begin a vacation. The hotel is close to the port, so we were able to have a leisurely breakfast and get to the ship without rushing. I'm looking forward to booking another cruise that leaves from Fort Lauderdale so that we can spend some time at the beautiful Lago Mar.

1  Thank Elaine027
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lago Mar's hospitality begins from the instant you are greeted by the valet parking attendant. The bellman rounded up our luggage as we entered the front lobby. Check in was effortless and they were sure to let us know that someone was always available for anything you might need. The bellman escorted us to our ocean front suite showing and telling us all about the resort and amenities. The room was exceptionally clean with nothing out of place. With the double sliding doors open to the private balcony the view of the beach and ocean is wonderful.
After venturing out of our room we enjoyed a nice lunch in their pool side bar & grill. Being in my own business for over thirty years I realized that upper management has implemented such training to the employes letting them know that the guests needs and concerns are number one. The team effort was refreshing to experience. The private beach front was always groomed with your choice of a cabana or lounge chairs and umbrella or of course the two beautiful pools.
A big thank you to everyone involved in making our stay so memorable. A rating of 5 out of 5 is well deserved.

David & Donna Ascenza