“Great stay at the Universal Palm, Ft. Lauderdale”

Universal Palms Hotel
Ranked #97 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family stayed at the Universal Palm prior to our Caribbean cruise. The staff was great and very accommodating. Our party of 6 were given a really nice suite on the 4th floor overall looking the beautiful heated pool. The hotel has a number of very nice intimate outside sitting areas complete with flowing fountains and statues. It also has a nice workout room and the lobby is filled with large oversized comfy couches. The bar + grill had killer chicken wings and actually provided my family with a free round of drinks! We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay at the Universal Palm and would come back without a moment's hesitation - ask for Joel, the wonderful Hotel Manager, or Monica and they will make sure your stay is a pleasant one.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is the first Hotel review I have ever written. The reason is quite simple, I have really never had a reason to write a review until now. In this stay I am going to take time and give credit where credit is due.
When I first arrived at the Universal Palms I met with Joel Neidle (Asst. General Manager). He was very professional and showed me several two room suites. I chose room 332 which overlooked the pool, waterfalls, tiki huts and the parrot cages(beautiful view). Once I decided on the room for a 2 week period we went back to Joel's office to do the check in. He was extremely courteous and even gave me his cell phone number in the event he could be of assistance during my stay.
While staying there, I noticed that the maintenance crew was constantly cleaning the marble floors, pool area an always on the elevators cleaning the mirrors and wood. The maids, clean up crew and Joel all went over and above what I have normally seen at other resorts and hotels in the past.
When my 2 week stay ended I really did not want to leave however, I knew it was time so I went to Joel's office ready for check out and he asked when I would be there next and that I should call him to schedule the next stay and he would handle the pricing. Long story short, I had such a nice time and the staff was so nice I asked what is the best rate I could get to stay another 2 weeks. Well, he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse and ended up staying through New Year's.
I will definitely stay there next visit and strongly recommend you contact Joel when making your reservations.
Be careful though. I promise you that Joel and the resort will give you every reason to stay longer than planned.

Thank's to the wonderful time and my hat's off to the staff at Universal Palms.

Dan Whatley Room 332

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2013

the hotel is not a great place, I mean, it´s older, simple, but it´s clean and convenient, near Sawgrass Mills Mall and others. Cheaper, if you want to save for shopping. It´s just for sleep, nothing else. There is a near train crossing, and it could be noisy at 5 am...!, but not much.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mvindasc
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I must say that this Hotels service is exellent. Especially the young, good looking women at the Front Dest ( Reception) are mavelous nearly worldclass. Thier names are as I recall it: Monica and something starting with an " O " . They are for sure worldclass. I can recommend this Hotel to all my friends and everybody. Best regards Tommy Hansen, Helsingor, Denmark:)

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Needed to be in Ft L for a short hop, saw the pics online and also the reviews but took a chance. I was greeted at the front deask by the most amazing and smiling Maritxa. My rooms was a suite by the pool - you definitely want to do this to cut down the noise of the occasional train horn but its not the worse. The room was spacious, the king bed a little creekie, but very clean. A very tiny gym which worked fine for me. The neighborhood is sketchie but I actually did walk a mile down Commercial in the day and all was fine. The pool water is way hot but nice at night. The weekend breakfast special is well worth it.The Staff was very nice. I had a problem with my room key and the maintenance man stopped his work to fix this for me right away. I will definitely keep this place in mind if I need to stay again in this area. The web site pics are representative of the place.

Room Tip: Book an inside - near the pool room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Avi A
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Rooms are spacious, pool is great, wish the bar/restaurant was open in the day and also 7days a week. The staff were so happy and friendly, Maritxa (front of desk) was amazing! extremely helpful in making our stay as enjoyable and stress free as possible, Danielle and Monica were also great at making us feel welcome

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank papiiii
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Rooms are very spacious and clean.. love the pool area ..
The front desk girl maritxa was very helpful and kind..excellent and professional.....also the bar is nice food they serve there is great affordable drinks 2...

• Stayed: December 2013