“Pre-cruise ship one night stay - just enough”

Universal Palms Hotel
Ranked #88 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Redmond, Washington
“Pre-cruise ship one night stay - just enough”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was at this hotel as I was flying in the night before getting on my cruise ship in Ft. Lauderdale.

Got this hotel via Priceline for about $50 + fees/taxes. It is in the north Ft. Lauderdale Zone which is a bit of a trek from the hotel. Shared ride car took about 25 minutes with one other stop.

Hotel - A little old, but in good repair. Room was clean but had a bit of a musty smell I attribute to the air conditioner which is a unit below the window and despite running all the time and being pretty noisy could not keep the room at 68.

Pool - A very nice pool area with lots of chairs and morning shade. Several "veranda" style covered tables.

Free WiFi - Probably the best aspect of the hotel. It was available from the room and around the property including the pool.

Misc - The property is near a rail line and intersection so you will get the train horn all night. A short walk (less than a quarter mile) from a McDonalds.

Staff - Front desk staff were friendly on the check-in and I was issued the room keys with no hassles.

Would I stay again or recommend to a friend? Probably not but it wasn't bad and it was a decent 2.5 star hotel for the price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel is a pit of despair. It’s noisy (there’s no way to avoid hearing the constant highway and train traffic passing by), filthy (our room walls looked like the interior of a fight club), and unkempt in general (beware -the website photos are in no way a reflection of this establishment). This is a worn down, old, trash hole. The concierge is very friendly and helpful, but beyond that, there’s not much going for this place. I stayed here for free and I regret it.

Room Tip: Stay away - this place is a dirty dump.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My name is Danny,

I have been here for 10 days and the service and the accommodations have been very good.
The hotel staff have been very helpful and friendly any time I need it help.

Specially a girl name Maritxa that have done everything possible to make my stay very pleasant and effective at the time I need it help.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My family and I stayed here for a few days before and after our cruise and the only positives I can say about it is that it is a good distance from Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport and the cruise port. There is a tri-rail that runs directly behind the hotel which is so loud. Every time it goes through the crossing it blares its horn about five times so loudly it could wake the dead. This train runs every half hour or so so getting to sleep is a mission. There are three petrol stations, a waffle house, fast food restaurant, McDonald's and KFC to keep you occupied. Breakfast is only served Friday to Sunday, the pillows are so lumpy and the staff, like me, look like they wish they were somewhere else. The air conditioning units leak water, the room phone didn't work and the safes are rusted shut. I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013
Fort Lauderdale Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I recently stayed at the Universal Palms for a long weekend. I was very impressed at the moment I walked into the lobby. The front desk staff was very accommodating and friendly.The lobby was extremely clean and very pretty. After checking into my room I found it to be very clean and fresh. It had a flat screen TV, and a.very comfortable bed. I found my remote did not work, and call the front desk, and in 3 minutes a maintenance man was there at my door to fix the problem. The pool area was very beautiful, and fun. there was music playing and a very nice ambience. Allen in all I was very impressed with the hotel and I would definitely return!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank gina2349
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

We booked our room through Travelocity & what we thought was a good deal turned out to be A NIGHTMARE!! BLARING TRAIN RIGHT OUTSIDE WINDOW HONKING TRAIN HORN multiple times 2-3 times per hour ALL NIGHT!! RUDE woman at front desk refused to change our room! We checked in around 4:15 & immediately left our room & returned around 8:30. After 1 hour of the train my husband called & she said it was too late & was SO RUDE. NO SLEEP AT ALL, have to work all day! LIVID!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HonestCouple88
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Went on a quick Florida trip with my family. We did not want to stay in Miami and wanted to save on hotel since we were going to be beaching it and out all day. When we first pulled up I was like omg we are so far from everything and the area was questionable. But once inside I loved the feel, quiet, clean and loved the romantic decor. Our room smelled musty and the A/C was loud. We were next to a pipe room on the first floor that made noise. The next morning I asked to be moved because I got no sleep at all from the pipes and a/c. Front desk girl had an attitude and told me I should of ask to be changed as soon as I got the room. I was like um how would I have predicted I was going to hear all this at night... She stayed quiet and told me to come get a new key. Lol After that, we loved our stay and even though we had to drive a little further out to get to locations, we didn't mind because the rates were worth it. I would stay again if I was pinching pennies.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family