“Great Service, Good Amenities & Decent Rooms”

Universal Palms Hotel
Ranked #92 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Hollywood, Florida, United States
“Great Service, Good Amenities & Decent Rooms”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The front desk staff was helpful and friendly, especially Maritxa who was quite accommodating to our needs, as we needed to extend our stay repeatedly. The rooms were kept well, and respectful of our "Do Not Disturb" when we had it posted. The pool was refreshing and clean, and made out stay with our young children quite enjoyable. The wi-fi was pleasantly swift as I was able to work via VPN the weeks that we stayed.

If I were to offer one downside to Universal palms, it would be the mattress quality, at least in the room in which I stayed. I awoke each morning with an uncomfortable knot in my upper back, and sleep was permeated with incessant tossing and turning. A minimal investment in newer beds would go a long way in adding a rating point!

As a whole, I had a favorable experience and would not hesitate to stay there in the future. I will likely put visiting family and friends up there as the need arises.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel's overall appearance was a bit different than what's pictured in the photos, but it was a great experience. If you're wanting to beach bum on a budget for a few days, this is the place for you. Jacques was great! He upgraded us to the suite for no extra charge and was very helpful throughout our stay.

From the map, it seems to be a bit closer to the beach, but it still has a great location being right near the on-ramp to I-95, so we could not complain. Everyday we would track in sand from the beach and the hospitality was very diligent to make sure our room was cleaned each day, bed was made, and towels were replenished. We didn't have any problems with our bed, like the other review stated, then again, we were in a much nicer room. So, maybe that had something to do with it.

The staff mentioned there were about $1M in renovations done recently and you could see the work that was done. The pool area is absolutely gorgeous, although there is dripping water (probably from the a/c) everywhere and lots of rust inside the rooms and out.

There were not any bugs or disgusting discoveries, so I'd say the Universal Palms is a great buy for the price. We're going back next year.

Room Tip: Get the suite facing the pool. The street view is not at all impressive. Even facing the pool, the...
1 Thank destinedsteps
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The lady maritxa that checked me in was very kind, sincere & helpful. The pool was very nice, the rooms were very clean, & there was more than enough parking. The restaurant had a good menu and good food and all the staff were very nice people. I would refer this place to anyone. The rates are very reasonable.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mwj1963
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I work in South Florida and stayed 2 nights here at the Universal Palms Hotel and decided to renew for another week. It was a clean hotel with nice décor and a most affordable price for the Fort Lauderdale area. Maritxa from the front desk was very friendly and professional while she checked me in for my continued stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John E
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This hotel was recommended by a friend, which I am very happy for that recommendation. I will recommend this hotel for stay. The cost of the hotels buffet was great it was only $6. The front desk was very great and very fast at check in. ExecutiveHousekeeper Eddie Vega and housekeeper kenyel was great with service and answering any questions that I had. All staff members had great customer service, they were very friendly, my next visit to Fort Lauderdale will for the Christmas holiday and I definitely will stay at this hotel, and maybe then I'll try a suite.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank tyresedavis
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We are here for my sisters wedding and everything was fantastic! The pool is as warm as bath water and I love the scenery! Comfortable rooms and the hotel seems recently upgraded! The breakfast was pretty good for the price...relaxing atmosphere...

Room Tip: See Joel the manager...he will treat you great!
2 Thank Mrstate7701
Maracay
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Jacques at the reception was so kind with us. I recommend the hotel because it's so close to important places in Fort Lauderdale. My family and I was there for 5 days. The breakfast is not included but If you want to take it, you only have to pay 6$ per person. I think everything was good.

1 Thank Maria D