“Beautiful spot and exceptional customer service!!”

Universal Palms Hotel
Ranked #101 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Renee on the Front Desk was so nice and accomodating (to us, her fellow Canucks!!). She made sure we had everything we needed and that we were satisfied with our room, etc. Excellent customer service...you could tell she actually cared about our needs. Will definitely come back again! Thanks Renee!
The rooms were very clean...however some do need a little updating (carpet, phones, etc)...but it was CLEAN...which is all we really cared about for a one night stay.
The restaurant had great food and it is right next door to the "Waffle House"...which was delicious as well! Only 15 mins to the airport (Shuttle cost about 10.00 each one way...more than reasonable). The heated pool was wonderful! Beautiful grounds and landscaping too!

Room Tip: Rooms that are poolside don't get the noise from the train as much...worth the extra little bit...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Renee at front desk was astoundingly helpful. Would come back just for her commitment to service. Gerry the weekend musician was talented, fun, inclusive. Chantal in reception also great, flexible, creative.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Very responsive to customer needs. Good shuttle from airport arrangement. Restaurant with Joxanne as server was fabulous. Clean, comfortable rooms. Food reasonably priced. A great value. I'd come again in a heart beat. Renee at front desk was so kind and helpful. Choose this hotel, save lots of money and still get excellent service. Definitely worth the price.

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

As I write this I am sitting in a room of this hotel itching and no where near sleep. There is an extremely loud train running every half hour at least, and it sounds like it is coming through our window. I just watched a bug hop across the floor. Our deadbolt and safety lock on the door are broken and this looks like a place you would need it! We do not feel comfortable in this neighborhood at all. Also, many issues at check-in, which now seem minor compared to after seeing the room. If it wasnt so late at night anf we didnt have two small children with us we would not be staying here. Thank goodness it is only one night!!! My husband and I will be sitting up all night and thanking our lucky stars when it is time to leave.

1  Thank JBennett82
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Being impressed on the first visit i returned for a second time. this not so impressed arrived at about 1am desk clerk was not as friendly as the old gentleman we encounter on first visit. Room was very good as the last visit. Following morning was told by front desk we could partake of breakfast because of how our booking was made which was the same way I booked first time visit. The guy who checked us in the first time not only gave us a voucher for the free breakfast but for drinks. I expected the same this time.
I can say nothing bad about the hotel itself just that the welcome was not as warm and friendly this time. Must say that the location near train tracks is a bit of problem if you are a late sleeper. Trains starts at about 5:30AM and again at 6am. Otherwise location is excellent right in the middle of everything you may need, shopping, restaurants, entertainment etc. Clean rooms, great value and until the trains run quiet for a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: In my opinion the room on the 4th floor was better than ground floor and less noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I found this hotel to be very good value and enjoyed my first visit so much that I returned for second stay! The location was perfect for me in that I had access to the major highways and thoroughfares. There are numerous fast fast food and convenience stores in the area which is also helpful. The property meets all of my needs with lounge, restaurant, pool and tropical landscaping. The best thing about this hotel in my opinion is the staff. I have dealt with Renee, Jessica and Jacques and found them to be extremely professional, efficient, friendly, helpful and fun!! It really makes it nice when the people that you're doing business with make things easier and work hard to make stay a pleasant and memorable one!!

Steve E.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms that are on the inside for the ambiance outside.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The pictures of the hotel on the internet are nice to look at but the hotel is not near as nice.
The entrance and lobby are quite nice but that is where it stops.
The hotel is located at an extremely busy intersection. Access to all of the rooms are by outdoor pathways. The hotel is located withing 100 feet of some very busy train tracks. The trains run ALL night, sounding their horns. This was horrible.
The room I had was on the fifth floor on the east side of the building. Which just happens to be the side closest to the train tracks. When I checked in, ( I had never been here before.) I was not told of the trains.
By the time I got to my room and I got in the shower, I heard the first of many trains that night.
There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel, but the restaurant closes early (before 9pm) and if you just want a quick bite to eat before turning in for the night ....your choices are overpriced hotel food without much flavor or a Waffle House that happens to be located in the same parking lot.
The staff was rather snobby and they don't have the ammenities that they say they do, for example a shuttle bus. They offer to call a taxi for you though.
The vending machines take your money and this is such a common occurence that when I went to the front desk to tell them, the lady handed me a form to fill out that was already on the counter.
Breakfast.....really?
Go to Waffle House!
Unfortunately the lowest rating I can give is Terrible.

Room Tip: A tip for a good room.....stay at another hotel!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business