“Do not go......Roaches!!!!”

Universal Palms Hotel
Ranked #102 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place is a mess!! The pictures on the website lie....... It's a motel that somehow got to claim hotel status. Walked into the room after a long check in to a room with black stain marks over the wall. The iron was missing, no microwave or Refrigerator provided. We stayed on the ground floor and had extra guests in our room that we didn't invite: ROACHES, CENTIPEDES!!!! Tried to use the toilet and centipedes were taking a swim. Just gross and a waste of money. Next time I'll sleep in a box!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Abczy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,415)

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Universal Palms Hotel is excellent and within our expectations for its category. We were welcomed and treated well all the time (ten days). The price was the best we found. The installations very clean, pleasant and beautiful environment. Good breakfast and good price. Very good bar with music nightly pleasant, professional and sympathetic service. About The location also very good because this near Maimi, downtown Fort Lauderdale and its magnificent beaches. Also this very close to a major center of out lets at great prices. Some people complain about the noise from the street, but nothing unusual for a big city. I would also like to highlight the professionalism and friendliness of the attendant Renee that all the time volunteered to help. We liked the hotel and come back to it on your next vacation in Florida.

Room Tip: My wife and I occupy the room 303, in the building across the av Comercial. I think the rooms facing...
1  Thank antonio293
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here for the BCS national championship game. If you like wash cloths and hand towels, do not stay here. We only had 1 wash cloth the first day for 3 people in the room and none after that for our 4 night stay. They might as well not say they have breakfast. It's 2 kinds of cereal and bread. The front staff is very rude. The gentleman was rude as I went to the front to get a breakfast voucher so much so that the people behind me were commenting to me about it. Had big problems checking in and checking out. Took a long time and they had a wrong name attached to my reservation when I made the reservation straight through them...I don't know how? No one at the front desk spoke English as a first language so communication was difficult. I would not recommend staying here even though the price was the only good point about it.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Davis L
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This property is poorly located right next to a very busy train line with the loud horns of commuter and freight trains running down the tracks breaking your sleep and overall peace and quiet.

Although the hotel was renovated apparently in 2011, the amenities are very basic and some things did not work, such as the in-room safe, the WI FI and the TV with "premium channels" which only carries about 20 channels in all, four of which are in French and 2 or 3 in Spanish. As for the free drinks noted by others given to guests as they check in, we were never offered this. I was also disappointed to find out that our reservation did not include a buffet breakfast as I thought it did. When I saw the "buffet breakfast" for $6, which offers coffee, cereal of some kind, and some sliced white bread, I wasn't impressed at all. We proceeded to eat our meals off site.

After the first night, we put the “clean room” sign on our door handle. Due to the wind, the sign was no longer on our door. When we came back to our room it was not cleaned. My husband went to ask the front desk if it would be possible to have someone empty our garbage and get new towels. The front desk clerk wasn’t very helpful, telling him the cleaning staff had left for the day and if he wanted to empty the garbage, he could bring the bags to the dumpster at the back of the hotel.

Although the pool area was nice, the staff is mostly bilingual (French and English) and Joel at the front desk was VERY nice and helpful (he answered my emails pre-trip, and changed our room when the WI FI in our room didn’t work),

I always book my hotel reservations online. This is the first time I have been sooo disappointed with the overall stay. I cannot recommend this hotel to others, in large part to the CONSTANT train traffic, day and night. It felt like we were stuck in the movie “My cousin Vinny”.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, choose a room facing the pool. Any "city view" rooms back s...
1  Thank Anji_2654
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Checked in on line for 2 nights (saved 20 percent). Prices are as advertised. Room was clean, un remarkable. No microwave or fridge, but we did not expect them nor need them. The pool is heated -from what I could tell 85 - 90 degrees F. the pool area is very nice with concrete statues, palm trees, gazebos, and paving stone walks. the staff was very helpful even finding me a sewing kit to repair a suitcase that was handled rather roughly by the airline. we had a pool view - this cost few dollars extra but we were not bothered by train noise that others complained about.
the restaurant on site is the Venetian Restaurant, Italian Cuisine, the food is very good to excellent, we had the maghrita pizza and drinks one night and bruschetta, pasta via joule, chicken parmagane. Of note they do not skimp on the garlic or balsamic vinegar.

Room Tip: From other comments - I would recommend a room with a pool view. we did hear train noise occasional...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I made the mistake by booking through Jet Blue at the end of an airline reservation. I thought for one night how bad could it be. It was horrible. On a busy intersection with the back up against the railroad tracks. This was the definition of "seedy motel". The only thing missing were drug addicts and prostitutes, but I am sure they were there. Dirty hallways. Stains on the floors. The bed was as bad as I ever sat on. Paper thin walls. Just as bad as it gets. In all fairness, the room did appear clean and the internet worked( i used it to find another hotel). Don't be fooled by the name or price. Bad news.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Larry M
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hotel is good, but the train is very disapointed!!
The train at 3h am is very unpleasant and noisy.
The location is good, mcdo and PFK is not to far, but the train again and again!
For the pepole speak french, is good a lot of Qc pepole!
I not recomended thi hotel because the train is very noisy and maybe 10 times a days!!!