1,473 results
All reviewsuniversal palms hotelfront deskjoelhousekeeperftlauderdalefloridatiki
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Upon check in everything was wonderful after "JOEL" found out my husband was active duty and we were on vacation he upgraded our room...the room is super nice...everything has been redone! The only downfall to our stay is the breakfast is either a bagel or cereal and you can only have a choice of one. There is also no microwave or fridge in the regular rooms (which would have been nice) but they do have a laundry unit at the end of the hall they dont tell you about. They also do not have a great fitness room...just 1 treadmill, 1 bike and 1 stairmaster...thats it! Other than that the pool was great and everything about our stay was wonderful! The staff was nice, the hotel was clean and our room was great! "JOEL" is honestly the BEST!! Ask for him if you have any problems or concerns...he is an honestly person willing to help make your stay better! I would stay here again in a heartbeat because of JOEL!! He went out of his way to make our stay GREAT!!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We book our stay at this hotel trough Travelocity (which is horrible, we'll never use Travelocity again), back to the hotel. We reserved the special executive suite and it was wonderful, very well appointed, beautiful and clean, smelled wonderful and the AC worked perfectly, beautiful first class fixtures in the bathroom with marble counters. They are remodeling and the contractor has forgot to complete some items in the room we first were in so the manager, Peter, moved us to another room and waived the first night stay cost, he was most accommodating. The Canadian company that has taken over this hotel has a wonderful staff of people that are friendly and they attend to your every need, they go above and beyond. I think when we go back and we will, at that time when all the details of remodeling are completed we would easily give it a 5 star rating. It was like staying at a Hyatt but better in price and a more intimate feeling at the pool area during the evening swims. We also liked the way we had access to outdoors right out of our door, we don't like interior hallways, makes me feels to confined. We like outdoor access from our room just like you would have in your won home. Just tell Peter that Bruce & Raenette sent you.

Room Tip: Ask for room 530 if you chose the executive suite, it's amazing ly furnished with high end furniture. Wait until you see it.
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Excellent staff service from the GM Peter Pappas to the evening maintenance man to the evening front desk managers of Joel and Claudette. Especially accommodating and going the extra mile to meet guest needs and requests. Will return and would highly recommend this property for ANY occassion.

John Raymond

Room Tip: We stayrd in two rooms (poolside) and both were very clean and updated
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Arrived to the perfect host: Joel, many thanks for making the stay a great one. I appreciate the time you took to give us information on the local area.

The rooms were newly renovated and very clean. Our 2 rooms suite is definitely worth the extra dollars if you can stretch to it. Both the living area and bedroom have plasma TVs, the living area / kitchen was furnished with modern furniture and there was pleanty of space. Actually, if it was a furnished apartment and on sale, I would buy it!!! (a better space than the average 1 bed apartment in England!)

Live music on the Friday & Saturday in the bar was a nice surprise, which we enjoyed. Food at the bar wasn't that great, but did the job.

You can hear the train passing from time to time as it's close, but the effort from Joel to make our stay a great one more than made up for the minor inconvenience.

Also, the pool area is a great place to hang out and have a swim, or a beer in the shade.

I hope this review helps,

Hague

Room Tip: Ask if renovated rooms are available.
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed at the Universal Palms Hotel for a 7-night stay as part of a work trip. My room was a remodeled suite on the second floor overlooking the pool area. The suite consisted of two rooms separated with a glass door. The living room / dining area featured a sofa bed, a large flat screen TV, a dining table and a kitchenette equipped with a mini fridge, a microwave oven, a coffee maker and a sink. The other room was the actual bedroom and had a king-sized bed, a second flat screen TV and an armchair. The suite was also equipped with an iron and ironing board and an electronic safe.

The whole property is clean and well maintained. My room had been recently remodeled with brand new furniture and ceramic floors. Everything was in good working order and the general feel of the room was one of a more expensive hotel. Housekeeping was flawless. Once in my stay, I met with a maid who was very upbeat, kind and professional.

The front desk staff members were always helpful, professional and friendly. I received better front desk service at this hotel than in many upscale properties. A special mention goes to Jacques and Claudette who consistently walked the extra mile to be helpful and pleasant. In addition, most staff members I met were fluent in French.

The pool area is also a nice feature of this property. The abundance of palm trees, plants, tikis and fountains make you forget how close to I-95 the hotel actually is.

Many reviewers mentioned the proximity to the railroad track as a problem since the train whistles at each crossing. I personally did not care, but I suspect that rooms facing the outside of the property may be more exposed to train and traffic noise.

My only grievance with the hotel is the restaurant (the "Venetian Cafe"). It is decorated in the cheapest, tackiest way, service is quite erratic and the food quality is subpar.

At any rate, I am satisfied with my stay and would recommend travelers on a budget to give this hotel a try.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool area are quieter. Stay on the second floor or higher to avoid the noise from the water fountains.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business