“I am writing a review to express my treatment from one of the Hotel's front desk staff person who was very nice to us.”

Universal Palms Hotel
Ranked #82 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

One of the Hotel's staff person named Eddy was wonderful to us while the others who are White people treated us with discrimination on the day of our arrival on 2/09 the woman was unfriendly to us and gave us a bad room with very little assistance on how to get to it and the next day on 2/10/12, when we came to change the room this white guy who spoke french with some guests who had arrived after we were standing there waitingto be attended to and pretended not to see us but saw those guests and ignored us and proceeded to assist them acted like we were invisible, but in the other hand Eddy was so helpful I appreciate all the help he gave us and would return to this hotel just because of him.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs by the pool are not quiet, and Amtrak rails nearby makes it also a bit noisy but u...
1 Thank Alima B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

When booking our reservation and aso upon arriving Eddie Vega was very helpful. Breakfast was so-so. Food in the lounge was good. It was stated that a gratuity would automatically be added to parties of 5 or more. On two occasions the waitress charged us this gratuity even thought there were only 2 of us. My other bone of contention is that the hotel seems to cater mainly to French guests. By this I mean they had papers but only in french. The had the french CBC newsworld TV channel but nothing for english speaking Canadians. A lot of the staff in the bar and at breakfast were french speaking and sometimes quite hard to understand their english and they seemed to ignore you if you didn;'t speak french.

Room Tip: If you are planning a cruise this hotel is rather a distance from Port Everglades, They don't h...
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

Dirty:
+Dirty and dusty phone
+Bath tub was dirty with hairs in the tub

Bad Design:
+ Room only has one mirror and that mirror is horizontal above the sink. So you can only see how you look from the chest up. We had to go downstairs in order to get a full look on how we looked
+ The elevator was broken down when we attempted to leave the hotel. We had to carry all our luggage (suitcases and hand luggages) down four flights of stairs to leave the hotel
+ The rooms did not feel safe and the location did not feel safe
+ I'm happy I'm from new york since I would be bothered by the loud trains passing throughout the day and night. But it was definately noticeable
+ Felt like I was in a Motel
+ When sitting at the foot of the bed on serveral ocasions, the head of the bed would lift up. I only weigh 130lbs

Customer Service:
+ When we first arrived to our rooms, we asked for extra towels and requested that our rooms be cleaned again since it appeared filthly. We called at 4PM and even at 12 midnight, no one showed up or attempted to call
+On a 2nd occarsion, I asked again for towels. I was told there is no one available to bring towels and that I had to come downstairs for towel. Once I finally made it down stairs, there was only 2 towels available and I needed towels for two rooms
+ Whenever we asked for cleaning service we never got cleaning service
+ Whenever we asked for them NOT to clean, they cleaned

The only good thing about this hotel was the pool area.

I'm very surprised others gave this hotel great reviews and I'm not a picky person. I only need a clean and safe hotel usually.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Carribaby

Travelers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Fredericia, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights. The hotel has been renovated so everything was nice and clean. Staff was super nice. Thank you Jaques and Eddy for everything. Breakfast was basic but really good. The train is the only downside, but after 1 night you hardly hear it anymore.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

I had an amazing stay at the Universal Palms Hotel from my first step in. My husband surprised me for our anniversary and everything was so romantic. The staff, very friendly and helpful especially Eddie. The restaurant food was very good although overpriced. The pool had a great vibe both during the day and night time.
Would definitely be back soon. Ask for Eddie he is the BEST!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the executive suite YOU will love it.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

We were very pleasantly surprised!! We travel a lot, and needed something quick and in
short notice, and have never found a hotel this inexpensive before. This hotel was only $79 per night and is very close to the Ft. Lauderdale airport and beaches! The entire place has been renovated, the rooms, the pool area (heated pool), the restaurant (which had really good Italian food), the bathrooms, lobby, etc. You'll never find a hotel this cheap that is at all acceptable, let alone as nice and clean like this one! We really want to thank Joel, the nice man at the checkout counter, as there were some booking issues that he was more than happy to take care of for us. He upgraded our room at no charge, as well as immediately got us a microwave and fridge combo for only $5 per night for the kids. And Freddy the bellman/service guy was so sweet and helpful - Freddy you're awesome, thanks for everything! Even Eddy who checked us out was great, as well as the cleaning staff. Thank you Joel and the Universal team for understanding that a hotel is a temporary home away from home, and for making our stay a fond memory! FYI: They definitely need to expand what they offer for their continental breakfast - more like continental snack. And as long as you get a room facing the pool, you'll avoid the sound of the train. Thank you all, again!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the pool! The view is amazing and the noise is significantly less.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jennifer F
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

I was a little worried after reading the reviews about the trains but I only heard one or two and never late at night or early in the morning. Maybe this is because of where the room was located (facing the pool). I got there before check in so the front desk guy arranged for me to have a free drink at the very comfortable bar/restaurant while I waited. I was still able to check in a little early though. There's not much nearby that can be accessed without driving, except the Waffle House that's right next door. no fridge in room, not mine at least. It's comfortable, clean. The "fitness center" is realyl four machines and a television with only two channels. Overall, I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Try to face the pool
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo