1,473 results
All reviewsuniversal palms hotelfront deskjoelhousekeeperftlauderdalefloridatiki
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My Family and I stayed for one night because we were venturing off on a cruise the next day...however the continental breakfast is NOT the BEST stop at McDonald or Waffle House.

I thought this place was awesome staff was friendly and efficient specially Eddie V his service is impeccable.

"Highly Recommended"

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My party stayed at this hotel as a prior to a wedding cruise night. It was booked by the bride, a total of about ten rooms. She picked this facility trying to maintain a reasonable cost for everyone. It was a bit out of the way for a trip to head from the airport to the port of Ft. Lauderdale, but she insisted that even with the cost of transportation to and from the airport to hotel, it would still be cheaper. As it turned out, this was a great facility!
About 3 miles inland from the beach, just west of I95, maybe not your idea for a beach vacation but for an interim stop on your way to the keys I would recommend it.
Rooms were comfortable, with a cold A/C. Two queens were very comfortable. We had poolside rooms. Outdoor access to all the rooms. (Pretty typical of this area). Included breakfast was nice, coffee, rolls, cereal and the like.
Nearby, a Waffle House, Miami Subs shop, and a BJ's Wholesale with a day pass to shop for things you may have forgot (beach towels, liquor, etc.) Outside of these places, everything else would be a short drive/cab ride away.
What made this place stand out was the staff. They were excellent. Always ready to answer questions/assist with whatever you might ask of them.
Ray, Claudette, Joel,and Eddie at the front desk were great.
Gloria(I believe she was head of housekeeping) was also very accommodating. I cannot rave enough about this staff, you will not be disappointed.
NOTE: There is no free hotel shuttle service from the airport/port. Cost was $8.00/pp prearranged when making the reservation. It is a separate company, Express Shuttle that the hotel recommended. Very efficient for us to the hotel and to the port the next morning.

Room Tip: Definitely poolside if possible. Street side right along railroad tracks, loud when passing by.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jim C
Reviewed February 3, 2012

On arrival we were told at reception that there was no reservation for us,when I told the receptionist we booked on line a week prior to arriving they said they never received any conformation of our stay. The receptionist ( Eddie) was very helpful about the situation and allowed us to have some free coffee in the bar whilst he tried to sort it out. It was very busy during this and all though it took some time ,considering we were early anyway for check-in we finally got it sorted!He kindly up graded us to a suite which was lovely of him and the room was enormous. We loved it as it had a separate lounge area which my husband could watch his tv programmes whilst I dossed in bed watching mine :) we have no problems regarding hotel except the train noise but to be honest ,it brought a bit of character to the area so wasn't a problem. It never interfered with our sleep as I think it stops running at night so that was cool.All the staff are very friendly at this hotel and if you have a car like we did it is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Meesh1
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by our spacious room with living room and kitchen at $73, and spotless. The pool, two restaurants with delicious food, nightly entertainment, complimentary breakfast, beautifully landscaped courtyard with tables and chairs tucked throughout for privacy were well planned. The hotel's 8 million in renovations are evident. Add to this the friendly, efficient staff and you can truly relax. Eddie Vega at the front desk took care of our every whim, as if we were family. We extended our six day stay to nine days thanks to Eddie's expertise. And don't miss his inspirational saying at the check out desk. We look forward to our return.

Room Tip: Request a courtyard room with a kitchen (at the same price). Expedia suggested a "City View" which turns out to be the higher floors overlooking the parking lot. Book directly with Mr. Vega at the hotel for the best room & location.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HappyGuest684
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I was looking for a cheap clean place to stay after I got off my ship. I used hotwire to book a room and car. My total came out to $73 for a One day rental Economy Car with Dollar and one Sunday night stay at this hotel. I was supposed to get a King bed, but they gave me two doubles.

Check in was not bad at all, although they made you sign a waiver saying that they have construction going on and do not ask for a refund. They also had a "charge" for having a safe in the room and that if we steal towels, we will be charged (and they only give you one towel and one washcloth per person). They took my credit card and scanned it for the safe charge, but nothing ever showed up on my statement.

The room wasnt bad, two double beds with brand new mattresses. I did a thorough check of the beds and they were spotless, in covers and under. The floor felt grimy on the feet, but looked relatively clean. The room was a pretty good size. There was one tiny bottle of shampoo and 2 bars of soap. There was a desk (with a really comfortable chair), a coffee machine and a TV. There was no closet, but a towel rack with a bar in the bathroom with some hangers. I was feeling under the weather, so I took a Nyquil once it came time to sleep and I STILL got woken up by the train blowing its horn every 2 hours. The door was really tricky and you would think it was closed, but it wasnt. The deadbolt was the ONLY way to make sure it would stay closed.

The reception area has multiple computers for guest use and the staff is really friendly. The pool looked nice and big, however it looked like the rooms right next to it were being used as storage for the construction crews. The parking lot was very big, all around the building so you could park close to your room.

When I went to leave in the morning, at check-out time (11 am) a worker had JUST painted the floor in the hall right outside my room. Why would they paint the floor at check out time? Made no sense.

Overall, I would not stay here again because of the train. The area was very industrial, right off the highway. There was a McDonalds across the street, a Pancake house right next door and a Pizza and Sub place a short walk away. However I would not feel safe walking that area alone.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple