Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
$178
$167
$141
$128
Fort Lauderdale Marriott North(Fort Lauderdale)(Great Value!)
$116
$140
$129
Pier Sixty-Six Hotel & Marina(Fort Lauderdale)(Great Value!)
$186
$169
$179
Travelocity
1,462 results
All reviewsuniversal palms hotelfront deskpool viewan upgradesouth floridajoelhousekeeperftlauderdaletiki
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 28, 2012

This place is disgusting. I don't know why my friends decided that we should all stay here - but it is a nasty dump in the middle of nowhere. Geographically, completely undesirable, not close to ANYTHING nice in FLL. A friend who lives here said..."oh my god, you're staying *there*? That's where all the crackheads live."

The first room I was given had a very loud, humming noise, coming from the fan in the bathroom, which was obviously on its last breaths. They moved me to another room down the hall which was okay...but definitely had the railroad noises that other reviews have complained of, and this is already a pool-side room, so I can only imagine how bad the other side of the building must be.

Also, there are no toiletries to speak of here, so you should bring your own shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer. Oddly, I noticed from the 2 different rooms that I had, the amenities (brand of soap, etc) in each bathroom were totally different. So, each room seems to be appointed with hodgepodge inconsistency.

This hotel has a lounge with "talent"...it is basically trailer park talent. Holy goodness.

On the bright side, everyone I spoke to was super nice, very polite, very kind, including the front desk and the maintenance guy who came to check out the fan humming. And, the rate is real cheap.

But, if you want a decent place to stay in FLL, or even just a quiet night's sleep anywhere near FLL, I would suggest that you go elsewhere. (Other noise pollutants include the AC units - very loud - and pool noise - and random other building noises throughout the property, mostly from different aged fans and motors I believe.

I was also nervous about bedbugs, did a very thorough bedbug check and the beds are clean. The room is very clean, in general, but they also skimp on the towels. 2 small, ultrathin towels per room.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ilovestayinginhotels
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Easily found off I-95. At the intersection of Commercial and Powerline. Also very close to the Isle Casino (4 - 5 miles).

Expansive lobby area, nicely decorated. Front desk staff not the most pleasant I've come in contact with, but they got the job done. Many French Canadian hotel staffers. English is their second language. Room was on second floor, not far from elevator. Room was recently redone. Everything was clean and all the amenities were in working order. Large pool area, although I didn't take advantage of it.

There is also a bar/restaurant right off the lobby, where they serve your continental breakfast (very basic). The bar and sit-down restaurant is very busy and the food was good with generous portions. Thursday nights they have a one-price buffet that's worth the money. They also have live entertainment in the evenings. Bar service is quick, but wait staff in restaurant is very slow. Had to get up and insist on service after waiting for a while. Service improved after an additional staffer started working.

On the downside, hotel is near the railroad tracks, so you'd periodically hear the trains passing through. Some guests were having loud conversations in the hallway in the wee hours of the morning. No ice machine on the second floor. Had to walk around to other side of complex and down to first floor for a working ice machine.

While I probably would not stay here again while on business, I would stay on my leisure time off while in the area.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

My family and I checked into this Amazing hotel on 1/20-1/23 and the stay was Wonderful. Eddie Vega took really good care of me as he booked me into the most Amazing room. Mr. Vega was very polite talked to me like he already knew me. If there was anything that I needed in the room, they were just a phone call away! Housekeeping kept my room in tip top shape! No complaints! I would recommend this hotel to EVERYBODY and let them know that they are getting their moneys worth! Go see Eddie!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 27, 2012

When we first got to our room the shower hadnt been cleaned up to the expectation of a business traveler. When we reported it , Joel at the front desk was shocked at his staff and took the right actions. He gave us a suite for the same price of the regular room with out hesitation. He was very kind and respectfull. He also gave the people over 21 a free drink of choice at the bar. He could of put us in a regular room and we would of been fine. He went above and beyond of what a hotel representitive should do. If we ever are back in this area we will for sure drive out of our way to come back and stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Excellent hotel
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Most of the places I have stayed at in Fort Lauderdale, The Universal Palms Hotel. 4900 Powerline Road, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33390 has to be about the best so far. I was placed in a brand new room, cleaning staff came by my room twice in a day. decor of this place was very nice. Staff was exception. Mr. Ross was very accommodating with making sure U could have a room U requested even if he had to make changes. Joel, who worked the evening desk even went out of way to go to his car and bring back 2 stamps. He didn't want payment for them. With the exception of ocassional train noise, I would definitely reserve this place again in the future!!

H. Mullins

Room Tip: Contrary to negative reviews...I did not notice any of them!! The pool was great. The excecise room is small, but adequate and a plus.