“Fantastic precruise destination”

Ranked #41 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
STL
“Fantastic precruise destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2010

We chose this hotel for it's amenties, location to the beach and precruise shopping needs,
and it's proximity to the terminal. We worked at accumulating the necessary points for a reward stay, and on all counts, we were glad we booked.

The hotel is set in a lush and beautifully landscaped courtyard right on 17th Street. Less than 15 bucks for a cab ride from the airport. Inside the lobby it's spacious and alive with the sound of water and the flush of tropical plants. We stayed on the 11th floor and the balcony had a birds eye view of the cruise port and overlooked the Harbor Shops complex, just a block away.

If you're cruising, this is a great convenience. At the Publix supermarket, we picked up a 12 pack of ginger ale and some supplies we didn't want to bother trying to get through airport security. At Total Wines we got our 2 bottles of wine, and, uh...other beverage needs.

Afterward, we took a ride on the Sun Trolley down 17th Street to the beach and looped back to the hotel. You catch the Trolley at the Harbor Shops and it's a great sightseeing diversion. We planned on stopping at the beach, but it was cloudy and blustery, and didn't look like much fun.

After dinner at Bimini Boatyard, we walked into the end of the nightly Manager's reception, with free drinks and light snacks. We picked up a quick drink and settled into our room. Comfortable, quiet and clean, we felt the overall experience of the room and the hotel's location was superb. Friendly staff and a great lobby for hanging out. There is also a kiosk with 3 monitors located in the lobby with free internet access.

A fantastic buffet breakfast had us charged up for the quick trip to the terminal. Less than 10 bucks for the cab........better than the $14 charged for the hotel van.

We look forward to staying here again. A great place to start your cruise.

6 Thank jchtravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

I was in Ft.Lauderdale over the weekend of the 11th and needed a hotel last minute, I called and reserved a room within minutes...Upon my arrival which was really early (8:30 am) the desk clerk was very polite, went ahead and did all my paperwork to check me in and although they did not have a room available yet, let me check my bag and go have a free breakfast which was cooked upon order and very good...She took my cell number and phoned me within a couple of hours...
My room was very nice and plush on the 11th floor (rm#1108) which had a beautiful view of downtown and to the right the ocean...pool was very nice also and the location could not have been better...Waxy O'Connor's right across the street with delicious food! 5 minutes from the beach and boardwalk...I will definitely be staying there again and taking my family and grandchildren! OH and the beds and pillows and linens are spot on comfort!

4 Thank lettucecook
Coram, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

This was our fourth visit to the Embassy Suites on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale. As always, Don Friedman, the Manager and his stafff were gracious and ready to please you at a moments notice. The hotel is beautiful, and being the Holiday Season, the hotel was decorated to the nines. Our room was spacious and very clean. It even had
a sitting room with a desk, tv, sofa , chair , refrigerator , sink and microwave. All the conveniences of home. We love their complimentary buffet breakfast with all the food you could possibly want on the main level. The pool is large and clean and even has a waterfall that spills into the pool. You're minutes from the beach!! We love it here!!

1 Thank travelCoram_NewYork
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2010

loved the free internet in the lobby! very nice restraunts and everything in walking distance.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

We were originally booked at the Hampton Inn and Suites however our reservations had been "mysteriously" cancelled and the area was sold out. It was after midnight and we did not know the area so the night auditor at the Hampton contacted one of the associates at the Embassy Suites and they were able to honor our rate and get us a room. Ed the manager & Geoff "the jack of all trades" got us all taken care of. Geoff recommended a fantastic pizza place for us to order some food and Ed gave us breakfast coupons to use the next morning. They were both friendly, polite, and extremely helpful! The property itself was beautiful and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. If in Ft Lauderdale again we will definitely make this Embassy our #1 choice! Thank you so much for getting our vacation back on the right track!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank HotelGirl811
Huntington, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed at this property for four nights in October 2010 while attending a conference at the nearby convention center. I was sold a one bedroom suite with two queen beds for $189 per night.

The property is located on a busy city street near the cruise port and convention center. It is approximately one mile to the beach. Access to the hotel is easy and the property is well marked.

The hotel's exterior is clean and well maintained. Both self-parking and valet are available. I self-parked without difficulty. Some colleagues stated that delays were encountered awaiting arrival of valet delivered vehicles.

Check-in for my stay was prompt as the reservation was correct. Surprisingly, I was checked-in by 10:30 AM as I had an early flight. Room access was not a problem and this was appreciated. I was informed by the clerk of charges for internet access. I politely explained the new Hilton policy of free internet for gold and diamond HHonors members. Frankly, I don't think she believed me, but nonetheless said she would take care of it.

Room access was slow as elevators are being refurbished. The closure of some cabs resulted in delays.

The room was spacious, spotless and the quality of furnishings was typical for the chain. The bedding was of better quality and the bath was well appointed and again, extremely clean. The room had adequate work space for the business traveler and internet speeds were good throughout my stay.

Other reviewers commented on street noise, and it is certainly a factor. For stays of more than one night I would insist on a rear facing room to reduce this detractor and improve rest.

Morning breakfast and afternoon reception were typical for Embassy Suites. Quality was good and service was excellent.

I dealt with internet charges at check-in, and regrettably again at check-out. Upon review of charges I discovered I had been charged for internet access which was to be provided gratis. I had a very early flight and did not care to explain Hilton policy to an obviously sleepy desk clerk at 4:30 AM. She was most polite and listened well, but I had to lead her via internet to a site to prove that internet access was without charge. If training is solid - this shouldn't happen. In the end I won, but I was taken aback that I had to deal with the same problem twice in one stay.

Overall, I would stay there again. There are many positives to the property that far outweigh a few challenges.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank cburley
Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

We stayed here one night pre-cruise.
Pros -The location was great, close to the port, grocery store, places to eat nearby. Room set up is great. Husband needed to work so he used the living room area and I could still get ready or watch TV in the bedroom area. No wait for a shuttle to take us to the port. Free breakfast and managers reception in the evening a very nice perk. Pool area very nice, quiet and clean.
Cons -We got a room however that faced 17th street and I had trouble sleeping due to traffic noise even with a sound machine on! The bathtub had someone elses hair in it which always turns me off. Also the inside shower curtain had pink bacteria growing on it. (I left it outside the tub so it wouldn't touch me.)
I doubt we'll stay here again. Only if free with Hilton pionts or at a really great price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple