“NICE PRE-CRUISE STAY!!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street
Ranked #38 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Embassy Suites for one pre-cruise night in December. As expected our room was not ready - this is not uncommon on a Saturday as the weekends are very busy with cruisers. We were grateful to a special valet who put our luggage in an unused room - I hesitate to mention his name for fear of getting him in trouble - believe me when I tell you these guys are great.

We had lunch at the E-Spot. While the service was great I think $16 is a lot for a burger - even at a hotel. It was just OK. My husband enjoyed a bowl of seafood chowder.

We got our room about 2:45 - not bad. We took the easy walk to Total Wine and Publix before settling in.

The 2-room suite is a very good size but I have 2 complaints. One is the sitting room portion is extremely dark and depressing. Secondly, the room smelled like Febreeze! And yes, I'm a smoker so understand why they use it - but we could actually see it! It had not been vacuumed up totally. The bedroom portion was very nice and bright and we opened the sliding glass door (to the Juliet balcony) to relieve ourselves from the Febreeze.

The public spaces in this hotel are really beautiful and the Christmas decorations were lovely. They did a nice job in this regard.

We went to the Manager's Reception for drinks and that was quite nice. We took ours outside and sat near the pool. It is a gorgeous space.

The breakfast included is really terrific. Everything from grits to cooked to order omelettes. They do a very nice job with this and no one should walk away hungry. The coffee was also good and plentiful.

The pool area is beautiful and we enjoyed watching the koi in the ponds. Unfortunately, we did not have time to swim but it sure looked inviting!

We had planned to take a cab to the port but ended up taking a shuttle with Walter. He promised we would be the only ones onboard and we were. $7 pp plus tip and we were there in minutes. Painless.

Here's my tip for the Embassy - leave before 10 AM so that you can get a valet and an elevator. After 10 everyone wants to go at the same time!

I would definitely stay here again but wish the hotel could do some updating in the rooms - the brown carpet and mustard walls need to go!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will have a view of the port.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here before taking a cruise. It was summer and the hotel was packed. The hotel design is prepared for this kind of operation but the staff just looks as if they don't care, as if whatever they do their business will still keep on going. When we asked the concierge for a good dining restaurant instead of listening to our tastes she just brought up obvious promotion based choices around the hotel.

Breakfast is buffet and a whole organized mess. I felt as if I was in a school's cafeteria. Food quality was below average.

Rooms are big and clean; the lay-out was well thought even though decoration is a little bit tacky.

Location is good but still I wish i had stayed in Miami in the Epic Hotel (also offered by our cruise line bundle). We would have still had enough time for boarding.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanager1100, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip. I apologize that you had a disappointing experience with the level of service you received. I regret that our staff seemed less than helpful. Part of great hospitality is anticipating guest needs and exceeding expectations. I'm terribly sorry we fell short of providing you with that experience. We hope that if you return to the area, you give us another chance to show you what we're really like.

Sincerely;

Don Friedman

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed overnight prior to a Caribbean cruise. Excellent property, close to the port, with numerous restaurants in the area. Included in the room rate was a pick up at the airport and transportation to the ship. Excellent complementary breakfast and manager's reception. Highly recommend for pre or post cruise accommodations.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hrochas
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is starting to feel dated and old. Rooms are dark and the two we had booked smelled. Note that interconnecting rooms not available. Proximity to cruise ships great and a couple of good steak houses within walking distance. Free wifi was a bonus.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Sduch

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the look and feel of our property. We're always looking for refresh opportunities and appreciate your feedback. I also want to apologize for the unpleasant smell you encountered. Our housekeeping staff is taking steps to freshen guestrooms and eliminate any unwanted odors. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope we get another opportunity to serve you.

Sincerly;

Don Friedman

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I enjoyed the hotel, accommodations are good, housekeeping was fair at best. Make sure you are clear with housekeeping about vacuuming and not just making the beds. Lots of good restaurants and shopping near by. Take the 50 cent trolley to the beach for convenience.

Room Tip: rooms above the third floor seem quietest
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael K
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel on a few occasions, but this experience was different than the past.
We checked in about an hour early and our rooms were ready, which surprised me because in the past the rooms were never really ready on time. So, we checked in and as I entered my room I noticed a strong smell of cigarettes. If they would have had the on the air conditioners it may not have bothered me as much. It was 85 degrees and the room was hot and smelly.

I went downstairs and I asked " what made you give me a smoking room?". She said that we can move you if you like. What do you mean, I asked, I never requested a smoking room, plus the fact that I don't smoke. Well, I was moved to another room, which didn't smell any better.

At this point I just wanted to unpack and go to work.

We asked the concierge about restaurants listed in hotel brochures and she had no clue about any of them, even after we brought down the books and showed her. I have never seen such a clueless concierge when referencing a hotel brochure. So we decided to strike out on our own to find the places listed in the HOTEL brochures.

The beds were comfortable and the midnight staff were excellent and helpful. The breakfast staff were excellent and actually gave an d cooked what I asked for this time.

This stay would have been better I'd my first impression would have been better. This hotel is still a great deal for the location and its proximity to the cruise lines.

Due to this last experience I will now consider non-Hilton hotels when in this of the country.

Cheers
Marylandvacation

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank MarylandVacation
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed before and after our cruise in December and enjoyed our time. Hotel is well located for cruise transfers and the shuttle is fairly priced and convenient. The room sizes are excellent and the breakfast was reasonable given that it was complimentary. It can get busy on cruise days as a lot of people come in and out on Satudays and Sundays but this is to be expected. We would stay again and would probably spend more time in Fort Lauderdale as it felt a nice city.

• Stayed: December 2012