“This is the best hotel to relax and enjoy yourself”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street
Ranked #41 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Jersey City, New Jersey
“This is the best hotel to relax and enjoy yourself”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

The service is wonderful, check in is a pleasure very professional people. They give you room to be yourself. Clean, safe and fun. Located in the heart of A1A. Easy trip to the beach and their pool is beautiful.

I have been going there for years and it only gets better.

Room Tip: There are only suites so all rooms are good rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wanderlust3_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed here the night before we sailed out of Port Everglades. The hotel is beautiful inside and out and in a very convienient location. Not only is it close to the port, but there is a huge shopping center behind it full of stores and restaurants. We had an 11th floor room facing the cruiseport, airport, and shopping center. You would think it was loud, however it was very quiet in the room, even with the sliding door open. The view was beautiful. We tried to go to the managers reception after we arrived, however it was completely packed. We ended up going out to a pub across the street for food and drinks... and I don't think we were the only ones who spilled over. The next morning, we enjoyed the complimentry breakfast, but again, it was packed. It took us a good 5-10 minutes to find a seat. People were eating all over the place, on railings, on the second floor hallways, in the lobby, and so on. I realize crowds are to be expected, especially before a cruise, but it's clear the hotel isn't equipped to handle full capacity. The elevators for example, take forever. So many people constantly going up and down that we sometimes had to wait several minutes for our turn. My other nitpick is how the hotel nickel and dimes its guests. Being an HHonors Gold, I searched all the other Hilton properties throughout the area and noted that most, if not all, included either a shuttle to/from the airport or to/from the cruiseport. This hotel charges for both. However, the shuttles were prompt and efficient, especially the ones taking the masses over to the cruiseport. I've heard horror stories of shuttles taking hours, or flar out not showing up, so we were quite relieved. If we're ever in the area again, we would still stay here, despite the crowds and nickel and diming. The location just can't be beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing south
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jetsgopro
MB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

We had booked a special that included shuttle transfers to the hotel from the airport. Upon arrival, we found out that the hotel is not located on the contact board, but our porter phoned to let them know that we had arrived. Initially, he was told that there were no transfers and then that we were down for transfers but they'd have to get the driver to talk to us. We were placed on hold and nobody came back to the phone. To make a long story short, after waiting for the shuttle, we ended up taking a taxi. Upon arrival at the hotel, the person at the reservation desk apologized and took the amount that we had paid for the taxi off our bill. The person at the desk, whose name I should have recorded, provided excellent service upon our check-in.
We went up to our room/suite and the layout is different than any other Embassy Suites where we have stayed. To get to the bathroom, one has to go through the bedroom. This set up was not going to work for us so we ended up getting a second room.
We went to the restaurant for a late dinner. After an initial wait, the service was excellent and the food was very good.
The pool area is lovely and the poi fish pond/vegetation make it a tropical paradise.
The location is fabulous for a pre-cruise as there is a mall within walking distance. The shuttle to the port is quick and the shuttle driver knows exactly where to take the passengers. However, once again we had issues with the transfer as nobody had told us we had to get transfer tickets from the desk to take the shuttle. The issue was quickly resolved and we arrived at the port in time for early embarkation which meant that we missed the long lines.
I would book the hotel again if I was booking for a couple or was travelling with very young children.
I would not book the hotel again if I was travelling with extended family or sharing a room with friends.
I would not pre-book the hotel shuttle and would take a taxi to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank sisinbc
Tinton Falls, New Jersey, Usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

I should have gotten the idea that there may be problems staying at this hotel when I read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Our stay at the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale hotel was a rotten way to start our vacation. My friends and I booked two rooms for a single night prior to our cruise the next morning.

Now granted, we asked for two rooms together -- on the far side of the hotel, away from the noisy street -- and we arrived at 10:30am in the morning.

I can accept the fact that at 10:30am those rooms would not be ready despite the fact we were met with a crowd of cruise travelers who had just checked out and were sitting in the lobby waiting to board the bus.

We arrived, let the front desk know who we are and were immediately advised that our rooms would not be ready until (the latest) 3pm in the afternoon.

This seemed awfully strange. I travel many times during the year, always arrive early at the hotel, and have never waited past noon to get a room. Then again -- I stay at Marriotts.

So, optimistic our rooms would be ready early, we went to the shopping center behind the hotel to have lunch and pick up items for our trip.

Upon returning to the hotel at 1pm we were advised that our rooms still weren't ready and that the 3pm timeframe was still a "go."

So, we sat in the lobby, on our luggage, for 2 additional hours. Everyone at the front desk saw us, nobody made any kind of effort to rush the checkin process or get someone in housecleaning to have two rooms readied.

Finally at 3pm, I had to go to the front desk and ask about our rooms. Still not ready.

By 3:45pm I walked up to the girl at the front desk and asked to speak with a Supervisor. It was at that moment that she told us "If you want to speak to a Supervisor about your rooms, they are now ready." Wow. How coincidental. Not until we asked to speak with a manager did our rooms suddenly become available.

An entire morning and afternoon shot waiting in the lobby for rooms. We could have been swimming in their pool --- something we were looking for but never got the opportunity to do. We never even saw the pool. By the time we checked in at 3:45pm it started raining.

The hotel is nice. The rooms were clean. We enjoyed the manager's reception and loved the breakfast. However, my friends and I were disgusted by the way this hotel treated us. We sat and watched countless people check in and get rooms immediately, but because we wanted two rooms together on the far side of the hotel, they just could not make it happen.

And, as soon as you take the complaint to a higher authority, things start to happen. Go figure.

I have never, ever, had to wait till 3:45pm to get a room at any hotel. And folks, I have stayed at many across the country.

Now, possibly the manager of this hotel is going to reply with an apology, and that would be appreciated. However, judging from the complaints about the front desk staff and their lack of caring or making things happen for their guests, I doubt very much that things will improve at this hotel.

Our stay was ruined. Was really looking forward to the pool. Instead, we only saw the atrium for most of our stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank RonboNJ
boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed only one night pre cruise. The hotel was very nice, comfortable, and clean. We were on the side along the main road and there was a litle road noise but nothing really disruptive. The only issue we had as that the bathroom sink drained slowly, as an earlier review mentioned. Not really a big deal and am sure it would have been addressed if we had been staying longer. We enjoyed the stay very much and were very happy with the level of service. We wish we had come down earlier and stayed a couple more days. The location was good and there were a lot of things within walking distance. We enjoyed the beer and wine at the evening reception and the breakfast buffett was very good. We will probably stay again if in Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kap22
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

The location of this hotel is awesome within 1 block of eating est. and all types of stores . Never have to drive if you decide not to. Hotel staff is A-1 . Breakfast staff are very friendly people and nice . Great food and free cocktails in the evening. I will be back !!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

I was worried that staying here with my 3 small children off the beach would be an issue. How Wrong could I have been! This Embassy has it all for the family, great pool, free breakfast and nice big suite for the family made this trip the BEST EVER! We found the hotel area had it all, shopping, ice cream, restaraunts all within walking distance. This was awesome, not to have to get the kids in the car and try to find parking, leave the car and walk to everything. The beach is right up 17th street, but we ended up swimming at the beautiful pool with rock waterfall was enough for us, they even have a large pond stocked with fish for the kids to feed.

Room Tip: East side or west, what a view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family