“Will Try Somewhere Else Next Time”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street
Ranked #39 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I should have gotten the idea that there may be problems staying at this hotel when I read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Our stay at the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale hotel was a rotten way to start our vacation. My friends and I booked two rooms for a single night prior to our cruise the next morning.

Now granted, we asked for two rooms together -- on the far side of the hotel, away from the noisy street -- and we arrived at 10:30am in the morning.

I can accept the fact that at 10:30am those rooms would not be ready despite the fact we were met with a crowd of cruise travelers who had just checked out and were sitting in the lobby waiting to board the bus.

We arrived, let the front desk know who we are and were immediately advised that our rooms would not be ready until (the latest) 3pm in the afternoon.

This seemed awfully strange. I travel many times during the year, always arrive early at the hotel, and have never waited past noon to get a room. Then again -- I stay at Marriotts.

So, optimistic our rooms would be ready early, we went to the shopping center behind the hotel to have lunch and pick up items for our trip.

Upon returning to the hotel at 1pm we were advised that our rooms still weren't ready and that the 3pm timeframe was still a "go."

So, we sat in the lobby, on our luggage, for 2 additional hours. Everyone at the front desk saw us, nobody made any kind of effort to rush the checkin process or get someone in housecleaning to have two rooms readied.

Finally at 3pm, I had to go to the front desk and ask about our rooms. Still not ready.

By 3:45pm I walked up to the girl at the front desk and asked to speak with a Supervisor. It was at that moment that she told us "If you want to speak to a Supervisor about your rooms, they are now ready." Wow. How coincidental. Not until we asked to speak with a manager did our rooms suddenly become available.

An entire morning and afternoon shot waiting in the lobby for rooms. We could have been swimming in their pool --- something we were looking for but never got the opportunity to do. We never even saw the pool. By the time we checked in at 3:45pm it started raining.

The hotel is nice. The rooms were clean. We enjoyed the manager's reception and loved the breakfast. However, my friends and I were disgusted by the way this hotel treated us. We sat and watched countless people check in and get rooms immediately, but because we wanted two rooms together on the far side of the hotel, they just could not make it happen.

And, as soon as you take the complaint to a higher authority, things start to happen. Go figure.

I have never, ever, had to wait till 3:45pm to get a room at any hotel. And folks, I have stayed at many across the country.

Now, possibly the manager of this hotel is going to reply with an apology, and that would be appreciated. However, judging from the complaints about the front desk staff and their lack of caring or making things happen for their guests, I doubt very much that things will improve at this hotel.

Our stay was ruined. Was really looking forward to the pool. Instead, we only saw the atrium for most of our stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank RonboNJ

Reviewed April 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed only one night pre cruise. The hotel was very nice, comfortable, and clean. We were on the side along the main road and there was a litle road noise but nothing really disruptive. The only issue we had as that the bathroom sink drained slowly, as an earlier review mentioned. Not really a big deal and am sure it would have been addressed if we had been staying longer. We enjoyed the stay very much and were very happy with the level of service. We wish we had come down earlier and stayed a couple more days. The location was good and there were a lot of things within walking distance. We enjoyed the beer and wine at the evening reception and the breakfast buffett was very good. We will probably stay again if in Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kap22
Reviewed April 18, 2011

The location of this hotel is awesome within 1 block of eating est. and all types of stores . Never have to drive if you decide not to. Hotel staff is A-1 . Breakfast staff are very friendly people and nice . Great food and free cocktails in the evening. I will be back !!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I was worried that staying here with my 3 small children off the beach would be an issue. How Wrong could I have been! This Embassy has it all for the family, great pool, free breakfast and nice big suite for the family made this trip the BEST EVER! We found the hotel area had it all, shopping, ice cream, restaraunts all within walking distance. This was awesome, not to have to get the kids in the car and try to find parking, leave the car and walk to everything. The beach is right up 17th street, but we ended up swimming at the beautiful pool with rock waterfall was enough for us, they even have a large pond stocked with fish for the kids to feed.

Room Tip: East side or west, what a view
2  Thank Ourtrip2011
Reviewed April 14, 2011

The feeling was immediate when we checked in, there was no warm welcome. Not even a smile from anybody at the front desk! Our room was not ready so we went out to the pool area, that was one of the very few nice things at this property. Went to bar and ordered lunch to take out by the pool, bartender who took the order was very rude, no smile and was confrontational when I told her the order was incorrect. Walked away without saying anything,so much for employee empowerment! Finally another bartender came to correct the order. We checked in to our room, which was very large. Balcony was so small you could only stand.(Not all balconys were that way) It took my kids only seconds to find items of the guest before us left behind. I guess so much for housecleaning too. There should never be signs of a previous guests in a "cleaned" room. Everyone I guess will have there own perception, but this will be one Embassy Suites property that my family will not stay at again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
hotelmanager1100, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2011

Thank you for staying with us. Please accept my apologies for the way you were welcomed to our hotel and the way the one bartender treated you. I personally meet with my departments everyday and will review your comments with them. Please also accept my apologies for the cleanliness of the room. I take the time to read every posting and take them very seriously and can assure you that I will be reviewing them with my team so we can continually improve our hotel.

Reviewed April 14, 2011

I wanted to take my clients and corporate executives to a hotel that I could TRUST, I grade my trust in 3 catagories:
Accommodations: This hotel Exceeds, nothing like a quality Suite!
Staff : the staff at this hotel are impressive, appears to me the management here has done an outstanding job of leading by example.
Location: Centrally located with everything you need within walking distance (Dining, shopping, banks, beach)

Room Tip: High floor EAST or WEST... AWESOME
Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank wings2011
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I selected this hotel after recommendations on TripAdvisor. It was average but I was disappointed when my husband found eyeglasses near the bed that were not ours!! Concierge was not friendly at all when asked about restaurant suggestions, but luckily another person at the front desk recommended Duffy's which was great! Breakfast buffet is always top-notch and transportation to the port was efficient.

2  Thank bambam26
hotelmanager1100, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2011

Thank you for staying with us. I appreciate your comments about the services you liked and about areas we can improve on. I am glad that the desk clerk helped you out with a restaurant choice. One of the great things about our hotel is we have a choice of over 40 restaurants withing a 2 block walking distance. I am glad the transportation to the port worked out as well. Once again thank you for staying with us and your comments that I will share with my team.