I should have gotten the idea that there may be problems staying at this hotel when I read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor.
Our stay at the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale hotel was a rotten way to start our vacation. My friends and I booked two rooms for a single night prior to our cruise the next morning.
Now granted, we asked for two rooms together -- on the far side of the hotel, away from the noisy street -- and we arrived at 10:30am in the morning.
I can accept the fact that at 10:30am those rooms would not be ready despite the fact we were met with a crowd of cruise travelers who had just checked out and were sitting in the lobby waiting to board the bus.
We arrived, let the front desk know who we are and were immediately advised that our rooms would not be ready until (the latest) 3pm in the afternoon.
This seemed awfully strange. I travel many times during the year, always arrive early at the hotel, and have never waited past noon to get a room. Then again -- I stay at Marriotts.
So, optimistic our rooms would be ready early, we went to the shopping center behind the hotel to have lunch and pick up items for our trip.
Upon returning to the hotel at 1pm we were advised that our rooms still weren't ready and that the 3pm timeframe was still a "go."
So, we sat in the lobby, on our luggage, for 2 additional hours. Everyone at the front desk saw us, nobody made any kind of effort to rush the checkin process or get someone in housecleaning to have two rooms readied.
Finally at 3pm, I had to go to the front desk and ask about our rooms. Still not ready.
By 3:45pm I walked up to the girl at the front desk and asked to speak with a Supervisor. It was at that moment that she told us "If you want to speak to a Supervisor about your rooms, they are now ready." Wow. How coincidental. Not until we asked to speak with a manager did our rooms suddenly become available.
An entire morning and afternoon shot waiting in the lobby for rooms. We could have been swimming in their pool --- something we were looking for but never got the opportunity to do. We never even saw the pool. By the time we checked in at 3:45pm it started raining.
The hotel is nice. The rooms were clean. We enjoyed the manager's reception and loved the breakfast. However, my friends and I were disgusted by the way this hotel treated us. We sat and watched countless people check in and get rooms immediately, but because we wanted two rooms together on the far side of the hotel, they just could not make it happen.
And, as soon as you take the complaint to a higher authority, things start to happen. Go figure.
I have never, ever, had to wait till 3:45pm to get a room at any hotel. And folks, I have stayed at many across the country.
Now, possibly the manager of this hotel is going to reply with an apology, and that would be appreciated. However, judging from the complaints about the front desk staff and their lack of caring or making things happen for their guests, I doubt very much that things will improve at this hotel.
Our stay was ruined. Was really looking forward to the pool. Instead, we only saw the atrium for most of our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the convenient location of the Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street hotel surrounded by shopping and dining options. This all-suite hotel is close to Fort Lauderdale attractions including Port Everglades and Fort Lauderdale Beach. Relax in a two-room suite and experience more living area, a kitchenette and work space to catch up on business. Expect a number of great amenities such as a heated outdoor pool and a modern fitness center. You can even bring the family pet. Start the day with a complimentary cooked-to-order full breakfast and savor cocktails, soft drinks and light snacks at our nightly complimentary Evening Reception (Must be legal drinking age). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale Hotel Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Lauderdale Embassy Suites
- Embassy Suite Ft Lauderdale
- Embassy Suite Fort Lauderdale