“Rooms clean, service lacking”

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East
Ranked #47 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Saint Croix Falls, Wisconsin, United States
“Rooms clean, service lacking”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The rooms we stayed in were clean and the beds were comfortable, much like any of the other Marriotts I have stayed at in plenty of other towns. The service at this location was questionable at best. My extended family stayed here for a week during Christmas of 2012. We booked many months ahead of time to ensure we could all stay close to each other. We were told that the rooms were suites with separate bedrooms. I hadn't encountered this at any other Marriott, so I was pleasantly surprised... except when we got to the room, it was your standard double queen. I brushed this off as this would work just fine for us and we were excited to be on vacation. Then the renovations in the room next to us (which, to be fair, we had been warned about) started at around 6 am. This went on for 2 or 3 days. We mentioned that this seemed a bit early to be starting work and were told that we were wrong and there was no way the workers started that early. We did see the workers, so it was unappealing to be told that we were wrong. If you are simply looking for a clean room with a nice bed to sleep in, this hotel isn't so bad. If you are expecting decent customer service to go along with it, look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Eimile C
CourtyardFTLEast, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Eimile C,
Thank you for your choosing to stay with us and for your review! I apologize there was a misunderstanding regarding the room type reserved and am glad that our room with two queen beds still worked out well for you and your family. Indeed, the hours that the renovation workers are allowed to make any sounds are 9am to 5pm, however they do arrive early to set up and do silent work. I have presented your comment to our team as well as to our General Contractor and requested he reiterate our policies with his staff. I am truly sorry for the way we handled your valid observation!
We hope to have the opportunity to, in the near future, provide you and your family with the outstanding customer service we are known for.
Warmest regards,
General

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

When in Fort Lauderdale, I usually stay closer to the airport but received a great rate during the Columbus Day weekend. The hotel is being renovated which offered a few minor challenges. Upon arrival, the staff was welcoming and check-in was quick and efficient. Got a room on one of the renovated floors. Corridor was bright and clean. The king room offered reasonable space with a comfortable bed. Closet is small is awkwardly designed though adequate for a two night stay. Breakfast with the usual offerings was a plus as was the free Internet access. Good location on US 1.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hotel under construction. Not a big issue but may want to call ahead. Poor TV reception and remote! Maid service schedule was questionable. Good location but right next to a busy highway. Staff was pleasant and very helpful. Pool dirty (or at least it appeared that way). Needs to be renovated. Street bums panhandling at nearby intersection and then observed sleeping in grass beside hotel.

Room Tip: get a pool view. Other side of hotel faces a parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank natashcd
CourtyardFTLEast, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear natashcd,
Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay with us. I am happy to hear you were pleased with our wonderful staff! We are delighted to share that, since your last stay, as part of our extensive renovation efforts, our pool has been completely re-finished displaying a brand new and inviting appearance! Our great location is based on our proximity to the beach and our convenient access to US1, where most restaurants and stores are located. We trust that our commercial strength glass balcony doors provided a quiet and restful atmosphere in your sleeping room. Many situations are out of our control, but we do take necessary measures to encourage undesirable individuals to move elsewhere in an effort to provide a better experience for our guests.

I am concerned with the observation regarding the TV reception and housekeeping schedule. We have just upgraded to High Definition signal to feed our HDTV Flat screen televisions in the rooms and have had a wonderful response from guests. I would appreciate if you contact me directly at 954-771-8100 to discuss these matters further.
We look forward to welcoming you to our totally renovated hotel in the near future!
Burke
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Worst hotel I have ever stayed at! They oversold their rooms so they gave us a family of four a room that had a king bed and a couch. The room was old and smelled funny and the bathroom doesn't have a fan/vent. The front desk staff was atrocious and had the attitude that we were more than lucky to even have a room considering they were overbooked. I'm sorry but that's just not my problem. I paid for my room like everyone else. The hotel is under construction so you can forget about sleeping in any day they start promptly at eight am. They shut off the water almost daily and failed to give us a courtesy call or note to inform us of this. Imagine coming back from the beach or pool and hopping into the shower to find out the water has been turned off! And when you call front desk the answer is oh yeah, they do turn off the water occasionally. Excuse me were you going to ever tell me that? Another day they shut off the hot water and it took the engineers over two hours to figure out what was wrong. Other than the convenient location (it is right off of route one and five minutes from the beach) this hotel had no pluses. Never coming back and this hotel left a bad taste in my mouth about Marriotts which I have generally loved in the past.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Van H
CourtyardFTLEast, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Van H,
Please accept my most sincere apologies for your terrible experience at our hotel. I understand how frustrating it can be to not receive the room type you desired, experience water shutoffs when most needed, be inconvenienced by construction noise and, to top it off, not receive the warm and welcoming service you deserve. I would certainly be upset too! Undergoing a renovation is probably one of the most challenging issues a hotel manager has to deal with, as we strive to offer guests a seamless experience while improving the hotel to better meet their needs. In an effort to do so, we constantly need to manage the unexpected, such as water shutoffs. When necessary, we work with the contractors to perform them when they will cause the least inconvenience and we try to inform our guests as soon as we are aware, but inevitably someone may be affected. I am truly sorry we were not able to offer you that seamless experience. I have re-iterated the start time of “no earlier than 9am” with the contractor and his team.
Equally, a renovation can be taxing on our team members, who otherwise would handle a situation properly and gracefully. However, there is no excuse for not making our guests feel valued and appreciated. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, as I will spend some extra training time with our team to ensure our guests receive the impeccable service that is expected from a Marriott Hotel.
I truly hope that, once we are completely renovated with the Courtyard Refreshing Business and totally re-designed rooms, you will consider giving us another chance to show you we can be one of the Marriott’s you love.
Warmest regards,
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here after a very stressful flight and the night before our cruise. From our first encounter with the front desk staff until we checked out the next day, we had nothing but friendly and helpful interactions from all of the staff. Our room was set up just as we requested, the beds were very comfortable, and they had many on-site conveniences (computer with printer, mini-store) available 24/7. Since we arrived late at night, this was very important helping us prepare for our travels the next day. Upon our arrival, the manager promptly apologized for the renovating but we hardly noticed because the property was still well maintained very clean. She even made some phone calls to try to help us with our transportation issues to the port the next day. We felt like celebrities and enjoyed the VIP service that I'm sure they give to all of their guests. We will definitely choose this site again the next time we come to Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nursedawgjessyoung
Norcross, Georgia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were originally only going to stay for 2 nights and switch to a different hotel, but by the first night I realized how wonderful the staff was - they sincerely want to make sure everything about your stay is just how you want it, so we cancelled the other hotel and extended our stay here. Not only did they do special things for my family (literally bringing me items I left in the lobby instead of just calling me to tell me, great food recommendations, switch of room when a higher floor was available where the renovated rooms are, friendly conversation, etc), I heard them doing the same for every customer. The just renovated rooms are extremely bright and cheerful, clean lines, fantastic walk-in showers. The location is also good. During renovations there is a bonus of a complimentary continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, but the beds are great and the rooms are big even if you can't get a r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Unfortunately I stayed only one night before my departure back to Europe, but after a week of traveling around Florida, this hotel was like oasis of comfort. I really enjoyed my stay as rooms are very nice and modern, bathroom is simply fabulous - amazing walk-in shower.

Ongoing constructions were not disturbing at all and there was no impact on me as a guest.

I would definitely return in case that will travel to this location again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo