“Make sure you ask for a newly renovated room!!!”

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East
Ranked #47 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Tampa, Florida
“Make sure you ask for a newly renovated room!!!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Very good service but it's an older courtyard and it has 2 floors only renovated so make sure you request one of them or else you will be stuck with a much older room!!! During my stay there they were having some renovation on the lobby area so they made up for that with a free continental breakfast for all the guests which was a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lebdude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a practical location, being on the US-1 road at Lauderdale by the Sea, rather than coast facing or with great views. This is reflected in price. The area seemed fine to me and very safe to be in, though you need to really drive or taxi to restaurants on a night. Its a 20 minute drive ($25 taxi ride) to Fort Lauderdale Downtown, or 2 minutes to other restaurant options.

The hotel itself seemed slightly old, but was undergoing renovation when I was there to put in a new Starbucks Bistro. Consequently, breakfast for us was free, which was a great touch. Rooms had everything needed with again great & easy free wifi and full size TV.

The area closeby has lots to do with 20 mins drives to the coast or shopping, 30 mins to Everglades Holiday Park for airboat tours, and even a very manageable 60 minutes to drive to South Beach in Miami.

Highlight for me was the staff & after service. I left some items in the safe on leaving. The staff took time to help, search out & find them, and to fedex them on to a forward hotel for me. All done very quickly. They could easily have not done this & said the items were lost. Very impressive.

Overall a good practical base for Lauderdale if you are happy not to have Ocean views and want a more budget option than South Beach. I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank StuartSussex
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Upon my arrival I thought I made a mistake. was not impressed with area, part residential, part commercial. But the employees made me feel very at ease. The lady who checked us in was unbelievably helpful and nice. She went above and beyond what most people do. Gave us a ground floor room, facing the pool. This was great, able to walk right out and jump in. Rooms were very spacious , with comfortable beds. My only recommondation would be having microwave in room. Water pressure in shower was fantastic. Have not found that, at hotels I have stayed. overall I think I made the right choice.

Room Tip: Ground floor , pool side would be my choice again
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank christopher209
Tortola
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale East is perfect if you want easy access to Holy Cross Hospital or have business in the North Fort Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area. The reception area is being renovated - a fact that we were made aware of when we booked and a temporary reception area was set up in the breakfast room next to the pool. The rooms were large and clean, the beds comfortable, the WIFI connection excellent through ibahn, and the price was very reasonable when compared to other similar properties. The hotel runs a shuttle bus to Holy Cross.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I should have compared before I booked through Expedia. I know. Yet I have a difficult time not putting most of the blame on Expedia. How can they justify charging me more than $100 more for a three-night stay than if I had booked directly through the hotel. Plus, I failed to get any Marriott Reward points by booking with Expedia. My advice: Never use Expedia. It's a giant rip-off. Book directly through the hotel. They will always meet any advertised rate on Expedia. Now, as far as the hotel goes, it was under rennovation during our stay. The first night we had a room with a musty smell, old carpeting and a lot of noise in the hallway at 1 a.m. Next morning I complained and received a newly remodeled room on the fourth floor. Overall, it was very nice. However, none of the rooms with balconies seemed to have chairs to sit on. Plus the breakfast was very plain. My wife and I ended up eating breakfast at a nearby restaurant. We would probably return if we could be guaranteed a remodeled room at the rate quoted by the hotel. I will never again use Expedia!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly remodeled room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The restaurant of the hotel is under renovation which I was not made aware of prior to arriving. So i had o drive off places just to get food. The roads that are around the hotel are extremely busy. You put your life into the hands of your higher power just driving out of the parking lot. They did offer breakfast though in a little make shift dining hall but that was over priced. They did keep the area clean which is why they get two stars. There is no indoor pool and the one they have outside is really small. Their exercise area is also really tiny. I spent 3 nights and spent about 400 dollars there. It would have been ok if they charged me $250 and offered free breakfast. Their service was lacking too,. No one offered to help take my bags to the room, although they did always have someone at the front desk 24 -7. The workers always made a lot of noise so it was often hard to sleep as I continually heard them talking and laughing down the hall. There was also no room service so they can drop off food that you may have ordered from outside the hotel. Which brings up a safety concern. As I saw people letting in the pizza guy to drop food off at one of the rooms. This should have been brought to the front desk and a hotel worker should have taken the food up. Whose to say it wasn't a guy pretending to Be a pizza man?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Morpine88
CourtyardFTLEast, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Morpine88,

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry your expectations were not met during your stay in Fort Lauderdale. In an effort to ensure all our guests are aware of our hotel revitalization we have posted notices on all reservation channels, including the 1-800-Marriott and our Marriott.com site. In addition, I personally email all our guests prior to arriving to share the latest updates on the renovation plans. I am sorry somehow we were not able to communicate with you. During our renovation phase we chose to provide our guests with the added amenity of a complimentary continental breakfast in our meeting room overlooking the pool, therefore I am perplexed by the statement that the breakfast was “overpriced”. If you were charged for this continental breakfast, please contact me at your earliest convenience so that I can investigate further since this should have not happened.

As a select service hotel, we do not have a Bell Staff to handle our guest’s luggage, but upon request, we gladly have our house person assist. I apologize we were not proactive in anticipating your needs. Thank you for your feedback on worker activity in the halls. I am sorry we failed to provide a restful atmosphere conducive for rest and relaxation. I will re-address this with our team.

Room service is an amenity offered at Full Service hotels, and normally not offered at Courtyard’s, even though some do, which is where it can get quite confusing. When our guests order food, such as pizza, for example, the delivery person arrives at the front desk. We then call the room to ensure this is correct and the guest has a choice to either come to the front desk to pick it up, or, for our guest’s convenience, it can be delivered right to their room. For our guests’ security, no delivery person is allowed into the building, unless the guest confirms they indeed ordered from this company.

Thank you for complimenting our cleanliness! We hope that your next stay in Fort Lauderdale is an enjoyable one!

Rob Lewis, General Manager
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here and although the lobby seemed clean and service was ok, the carpet in the room was extremely dirty. It was not worth the price I paid. I expected better as I've stayed at many Courtyard Marriotts in the past.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Samngie G,

Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry we failed you. We are currently under a complete renovation that will include not only a brand new lobby concept, but a total revamp of our room layout, custom finishes and luxurious bathrooms. We hope you find it in your heart to give us another chance during your next stay in Fort Lauderdale.

Warmest regards,