“Comfort Suites”

Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn
Ranked #54 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This was the filthiest hotel we have stayed in for our entire lives. The bath/shower was covered with mud and the front desk lady didn't care. After the free hotel shuttle did not arrive after 45 minutes, our group took a taxi. I would caution anyone traveling here to catch a cruise ship not to stay in this hotel. There are many other choices in this city. Another guest told us they changed rooms 5 times before finding one they could stand. I have stayed in $39 hotels years ago that were cleaner and this room was $199. BEWARE We were with another couple and the hotel responded to their Terrible review that they were under construction which I would have to say is a lie as there was no sign of any type on construction work being conducted. This is just a filthy hotel.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Bob M
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Of course your review disturbed me. You were here in February when we WERE under construction. We made every effort to make sure our guests did not see or hear it which is why you didn't see anything going on. From the bathtub photo, I would say that was construction silt which came up into some of the tubs - we put in all new bathtubs. I'm sure the Front Desk staff would have moved you to another room if we had one available. I don't know whether your asked about it. As you can see from many other reviews, we are an extremely clean property and EVERYTHING is new. I apologize for your experience and do hope you will visit us again. You are welcome to call me, personally, to make your reservation.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

We had to utilize a hotel close to Broward General during my husband's recent hospital stay. 3/5 on and off until 3/21. Being from out of town and unfamilar with the city and without my own transportation early on in my stay, I have to say this hotel was a lifesaver for me. The shuttle to and from the hotel was prompt and courtious. The front desk staff was friendly and went out of their way to help and make us comfortable. There is a CVS right next door and many quick eats within walking distance. The rooms were clean and modern. Rooms have a microwave, mini-fridge and a huge flat screen TV. Parking can be little cramped, but as cruise ship hub...that is to be expected. I would highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Thank you so much for your nice review. I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your compliments on our staff and our brand new rooms - especially our 42" flat screen TVs. I hope you will return - but not for the same reason. Come back before you take a cruise.
Ellen Serra
Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

The Tripadvisor rating scale goes from "Average" to "Very Good". I believe this place is better than average, so I would say "Good", but I can't since it doesn't exist.

My wife and I stayed here for several days in February 2012. It is an older hotel, but the room we stayed in had a good bed and was well appointed with a desk, armoire, microwave and fridge. We got a decent rate by booking on the website, although when the weekend hit we stayed longer than our reservation and the rate went up. We did, however, manage to get a better rate than what was published.

They include a hot breakfast and, surprisingly, the small dining center wasn't too crowded. This is a very busy hotel due to the number of people going on cruises. The only real complaint is that our room was in the back - you think this would be a good thing - right next to the laundry and delivery area. So, a little noisy. Ask if your room is next to the laundry area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gringgo
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Thank you for your nice review. It's too bad you didn't get to see our new furniture. We no longer have those clumsy armoires- every room has a closet now and brand new furniture - as well as 42" flat screen TVs. Our Laundry Room is on the first floor where there are no sleeping rooms so I am somewhat perplexed by your comment about the laundry. Please call me when you are ready to make your next reservation. Thank you again.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

I booked this hotel using airline reward points before reading any reviews. After then reading some of the reviews here I wished I had not been so quick to book with points that were not refundable. I was angry with myself for not doing my research and I even took Ellen Serra's phone number with me on my trip (she's the lady with Comfort Suites who responds to all of the reviews here). If the hotel was miserable, I planned on calling her from the lobby.

The hotel turned out to be excellent. Clean, quiet, comfortable... the staff was friendly. Even had breakfast there which turned out to be pretty good, too. I was very happy with my stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a fine room and easy access to the airport or cruise port (I was actually cruising out of Miami and took a van from this hotel to the Miami port... 40 minutes or so).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TheMaze1

I don't know whether to be happy or disappointed that you didn't call me from the lobby. Seriously, I would have liked to meet you. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. As I've said many times here on Trip Advisor, I'm very proud of our staff and the "new" look of the hotel. I think we're the best choice in this area - for value, comfort, location and service. I hope you'll come back - and please ask for me.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed here (4 adults) one night before and one after our cruise. The shuttle from the airport was alittle delayed because they were "very busy". Our rooms weren't ready yet so the wonderful young lady at checkin put our luggage in a locked storage closet while we explored the area and enjoyed the pool.
There is a CVS and liquor store very nearby. Along with some nice restaurants and fast food places. We highly recommend Ernies BBQ across the street.
Our first stay we had a two room suite on the fourth floor and were comfortable.
The hotel itself is a bit run down and in need of repairs but the staff more than makes up for it!
Our second stay after the cruise we were assigned a single room but after a quick trip to the checkin desk (the young lady remembered us!) we were given a two room suite again but on the second floor (we could hear some traffic thru the night).
We did not use the shuttle to the port; we paid about $5 (including tip) per person for a taxi so we could leave when we were ready and not be sardeened into the shuttle service.
We felt the staff went above and beyond for customer service because of the lady in front of us during check in had to come back to "The States" due to husband having a medical emergency. The staff offered the airport shuttle to take her back & forth to hospital everyday and even offered her a "to go" bag (from breakfast) when they heard she had not eaten yet. Bravo!!
Now lets just work on finishing the repairs/upgrades and your hotel will be my fav in this area!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review. You're right - we have a wonderful, caring staff and our location is the best in the area. You'll be happy to know that we are finished with the renovations - including our new 42" flat-screen tvs which came in a few weeks ago. I hope you'll come back to stay here again so that we can be your "fave".

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed at the Comfort Suites, booked by our AAA agent in Arizona. This was the worst place we have ever stayed. Fortunately, we were there less than 24 hours, staying overnight prior to leaving on a cruise. Our take: outdated, not well maintained, dirty [see bathtub photo], indifferent staff. Also, the airport van didn't show - we waited an hour then took a cab. All this for $200 a night.

Room Tip: Go to a Marriott or Embassy or anywhere else, even if you have to pay more.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DOT2012

I am quite disturbed by your review. When you were here in February, we were still in serious renovations (we now are completely finished) and we did have issues with construction debris coming up through our pipes. I'm wondering if you asked the front desk to move you to another room. I don't know why the shuttle missed you at the airport as that doesn't happen very often. I'm so sorry you were not happy. As you can see from other reviews, your experience is not the "norm". I invite you to call me and would be happy to talk to you.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed 2 nights before a cruise with another couple. The breakfast was good and I think her name is Cynthia that gave us such a warm friendly greeting She kept everything well stocked so we could be on our way quickly. It was raining and we had no umbellas but the front desk lent us two which we really appreciated.The room was large and clean. Our only problem was that they had trouble putting our bill onto two credit cards.We should have taken the advise of some other travellers and asked for a room at the back it was noisy at the front because it is a main highway.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Thank you Linda, for this nice review. I am very proud of our staff - and am happy that you noticed how friendly and kind they all are. I hope you'll come back to stay here the next time you come to Fort Lauderdale.