“Not the kind of Time Shares we are used to!”

Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Quite a mix of reviews here. My experience was not the best. I exchanged here as we had a week we had to use before September and I had a conference in Ft. Lauderdale. The unit I was in was a limited kitchen. I've been in better hotel rooms! The entry to the room was at this weird angle that made it very narrow and difficult to enter with any luggage or backpack. With the door open all the way one shoulder touched the door, the other the wall so we are talking maybe 2 feet wide! There were no real chairs to speak of in the room. A tiny table by the window and two kitchen chairs. No comfortable chairs to sit and read or relax in. The furniture is old, well actually the whole place is old! Two rickety old elevators for a high rise? You could fit maybe 4 or 5 people in them and thats without luggage. If someone had a luggage cart in there you had to wait for the next one or take the hot smelly staircase. The biggest problem with this facility is that there is NO INTERNET in the rooms! You had to go to the lobby in order to access the internet! The killer was that there was a wireless router right in my room! The desk clerk told me that they had it in all the rooms at one time but they had such problems with the provider that they just dropped it and have it only in the lobby. Come guys, this is the 21st Century and even Super 8 has wireless internet available to their guests! Oh, and here's a good one. The room had one of those doors that you could open to the next unit to make the adjacent suite larger and of course I had the Bickersons in the next suite. I could hear the woman nagging her husband every evening. Who needs reality TV shows with going on right next door! Then you could hear them using the bathroom every time they used it, if you know what I mean! Yes it is close to the beach but it's just not worth it. The neighborhood is just fine, very old tyme Florida! The beach is very well groomed and plenty of great people watching! They must have been hard up when they hired some of the front desk staff. They got the job done but where a bit on the crabby side at times. The fitness center is a total joke. It's not fit for anything actually!!! The equipment is ready to fall apart, half the dumb bells are missing, and no workout bench! The rooms also have some sort of detector that knows when a person is in there. The air conditioning will only operate when a human body is in the room.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank bearpawqs

Reviewed June 14, 2009

Went there for 8 days and have not a negative thing to say. Beautify view of beach. Very helpful staff. Since it is a timeshare resort, service comes one time during the stay. Rooms were spacious and open. Had kitchen so we were able to go to store and cook some in room. Balcony was great to sit on in afternoon/evening. Monkey Bar was great. Jason and Laura were nothing but pleasant and Chance was a great bartender. Not sure why others gave bad review, but I travel alot and have not been able to take beverages and food to pool. They clearly had signs posted that no outside food or beverages were allowed. They had sandwiches available during the day which were great. Nighly drink specials which were quite reasonable compared to other bars in the area. Staff there were nothing but pleasant and helpful. Cannot wait to get to go down and see them again!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank tmcdade97
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I recently visited this restort thru a timeshare exchange. When checking in I didnt get the usual "friendliness" from the clerk that I get from other hotels. In fact the front desk clerk "Amy" was very annoyed & short with us. She gave me room 309, which was one floor up, close to the elevator. We shortly found out that the balcony door did not close!, someone had left thier leftover moldy burrito in the fridge plus had left thier prescription in the bathroom. I went back to the front desk and asked for another room, and Amy told me that the hotel was completely booked and there was nothing she could do because the rooms were sold out. Why was the parking lot and elevators empty then? I found it hard to believe since the lot never had more than 12 cars in it.

I was stuck in that crappy room!, what a horrible disappointment! That same night, on my same floor they had high school kids (guests) staying there for PROM night, so needles to say we didnt have a good nights sleep. We constantly had to call the front desk, to let them know they were rolling themselves down the halls with the luggage cart, they mentioned the would bring up security. We certainly didnt want to confront the drunken teenagers, needles to say we left the next day!

This hotel is not a kid friendly hotel, the pool is dirty! I wouldnt let my kids swim in that! We did send a note to the VP of that property and she told us that a Manager on Duty would contact us, no one ever did. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

I'm confirming this stay was at 909 Breakers Ave, Ft. Lauderdale; phone 305-668-3411
Stayed on 5/16/09. I have the right hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Beach_traveler22
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We will never return to this resort . We traded out our timeshare week for this resort through Interval International. We had a two bedroom that was very spacious. We brought our cooler to the pool area on Sunday with beer for the adults and soft drinks for the children. We also brought snacks to the pool area. Most people enjoy relaxing at a pool and having a beverage or a snack. There is a bar/grill located at the pool area. We were immediately approached by the bartender that no food or beverages are allowed to be brought to the pool area unless purchased at the bar/grill. Bar manager told us they have control of the bar as well as the pool area and Florida Law prohibits outside food/beverages. We have been to other Florida resorts and have never had a problem like this. This bar doesn't even have a food menu. This same day, I left a message at the front desk that I wanted to be contacted by the General Manager, Evan Spivak . He never did contact me during the entire six day stay and I was reassured by the person at the front desk that he was given the message. This resort has no activities for young children so if you are looking for a kid friendly resort, this place is not for you.

3  Thank FloridaJagfan
Reviewed June 6, 2009

We were very happy with this resort. Our family stayed in this resort for 3 nights in a 1 bedroom apartment. This resort is self own and managed by time shared I think. But the condition of the hotem was very good, we stayed in a 1 bedroom which has a kitchen with stove, oven, microwave, refrig, diskwasher and even some cookware, 1 full bathroom and 1/2 bath which has no shower. The hotel provides a lot of the basic needs for you; however, the resort does not fix your room everyday. My favor part is that it provide you DVD player which I can entertin my kids by putting in a cartoon. There is hotel laundry for self serve. No internet connection in room, and there is only one computer in the lobby for guest to use. I think there is WIFI but I did not check with the front desk. The front desk people are very nice, even thu they may sound rule on the phone. Overall, this is above 3 1/2 star.

In terms of location, this hotel is located very well at the beach (only 2 mins away). We were able to rent some beach item like urmbella and chair etc from the store next to the small grill resturant. 7-11, Walgreen, and CVS are all close by for you to grap anything. The Galleria Mall is just 5 mins away from it.

3  Thank SugarLandTXRich
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My husband and I had an end unit on th 14th floor overlooking the intracoastal waterway. The location was fabulous, just a block off the beach. I highly recommend the italian restaurant just behind the resort on Sunrise. The main touristy corner is just over a mile walk, which we walked in the morning or evening. Lots of restaurants along the way. There is wireless internet and computers in the main lobby. The one bedroom was huge for 2 people. 4 could easily have privacy. Our bathroom was spacious.

The maid didn't come at all during the week, but maybe we were supposed to ask for service, and we didn't. All in all, this is a great resort in a prime location. We were afraid the area would be crowded with spring breakers, but this was not the case. There were a variety of types...couples in their 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, as well as a few spring breakers and families. The beach by the resort was great and not crowded. You can buy a beach chair at the store on the corner on the way to beach for $12. We recommend this place!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank watersunnyvacation
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Recently visited the resort on a timeshare visit through RCI. Resort was clean and has been totally renovatted. The pool is small and because where the building lies sun exposure to the pool is limited.
However, the biggest reason I will NOT go back is because the Monkey Beach Bar restaurant that supposedly has control over the pool area, per Jason (Monkey Beach Bar mgmt). Monkey Beach Bar does not allow outside food and beverage in the pool area. Having been a timeshare owner now for ten years and visited numerous resorts this is the first place I have visited that enforces such a pool restriction. This policy made for a much more expensive trip than intended. Jason informed us that they have control over the pool area and resort management is aware and in agreement. However, we asked to speak to resort management but they did not follow up with us. I will be following up with RCI and Interval and informing them of this in hopes that appropriate action will be taken.

3  Thank OrlandoBirdieGolfer