“Excellent family trip!”

Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Midwest
“Excellent family trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

We have stayed at this resort many times since we are owners there. It has improved so much in the last three years. It's completely renovated from top to bottom and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I agree with the others who have posted about the close proximity to the beach, Galleria Mall, etc. Also, they have a clean pool, free parking, and several restaurants nearby. The only suggestion that I have is that they get another computer for public use in the lobby. Right now there is only one and I usually had to wait for access. We always have a great time.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ShebaMidwest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Surrey, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

I again stayed at the Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort in October 2008 and had a wonderful time.

The front desk staff are warm and welcoming and extremely helpful with any requests you have. They can't do enough to help.

I rented a one bedroom suite and the room was just glorious. It was clean and spacious and everything was in full working order. It was on the 10th floor overlooking the ocean and bars/ restaurants in the immediate vicinity. To be preparing food in the kitchen whilst overlooking such a view was just wonderful.

I didn't use the pool though my room overlooked it. Although it is relatively small it was never full in the 10 days I was there and there were always lounge chairs to be found and plenty of space to enjoy the pool.

I used the laundry on the lower ground level and never had a problem being able to get a machine and dryer for use.

A previous poster has made comment about the lifts and I would agree they do sound a little rattley and can be a little slow, but they do their job and have certificates of worthiness. I've seen worse lifts in a 5 star resort.

I can't understand why a recent post has been made about the area being unsafe. I am a single woman who was travelling alone and not once did I feel unsafe in this area. This is one of the safest areas of Fort Lauderdale and is patrolled by police regularly - as is the entire Fort Lauderdale beach area. I previously lived in Fort Lauderdale and know where there are bad areas - this is definitely not one of them.
I went to three of the bars/restaurants adjacent to the property on my own (Parrot Lounge, Cafe Bluefish and Kava Bar) and didn't feel in the least way threatened or intimidated at any. I found the crowd in each to be friendly, fun and considerate - one night I was there they held a benefit for a former bartender who was suffering from a terminal illness.

My only gripe is lack of wireless internet access in the rooms though I was told a new provider was being sought. However, there is a computer in the lobby with free access for 15 minutes, and you can bring your laptop to the lobby and work on it from there. It was quite amusing to see lots of people doing just that!!

I'd have no problem recommending this property to friends and have already done so. I also have further trips booked - in the Spring of this year and also in October.

One final point - I arrived here the day after spending 5 days at a 5 star Marriott property on the Florida Gulf coast and was expecting to feel a little let down after the luxury I'd just had. This was not the case at all and Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort more than met my expectations.

• Liked — Clean, spacious and the lovely view
  • Disliked — No wi fi in the rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
5 Thank Candy.BridgeUK
North Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

We were at the Beach Resort from December 20-26 for a family Christmas. Our condo was on the 17th floor and faced the canal/city view, which was beautiful at night. We had a 1 bedroom with a king size bed and then a murphy bed and pullout sofa in the living room for the kids (19, 15 and 9). The kitchen had pots and pans and dishes. I left behind ziploc bags and laundry detergent so I hope the next person can use that and it didnt get thrown!

Laundry room is on the basement level and there were 6 washing machines and 8 dryers, and I never had trouble as far as having to wait to use them. There is also a fitness room down there with an eliptical, weights, treadmill and bike.

They have a book exchange program which they have information about in one of their handouts, but they must also have exchanges of boogie boards, plastic sand buckets, etc., because we left those things behind at the end of our stay and they said they would take them -- too bad we didnt know about this before we spent $30 on boogie boards that got used twice! But it is a nice program if they do in fact offer these items to other guests.

The kids loved how warm the pool was, but it is small. They did have happy hour some days, and also activities by the pool. One day my 9 year old did ceramics and then another afternoon we played bingo by the pool. They had several other activities planned that you could participate in. There was a discount for deep sea fishing and the Bonnet House next door.

An earlier poster said that there was not security, but while we were there I personally saw the security guard come on duty almost every night because I was usually doing laundry! He made regular rounds and closed the blinds in the lobby where people sit to use their laptops.

The grounds itself are pretty much non-existent compared to some timeshares we have stayed in, but the location was excellent and the beach was a block away. You are also able to walk to several restaurants. There are lots of little shops across from the beach where you can pick up sunscreen, boogie boards, souveniors, etc. There is a CVS within walking distance that is open 24 hours/day.

• Liked — Walking distance to the beach
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank NorthDakota
Carnoustie, Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2008

Having read the other reviews I get the feeling that I'm writing about a different hotel...but no...it's the same one..on Breakers Ave. Yes...it's close to the beach. Yes...it's clean IN the apartments. Yes...the staff are great. On the down side, the Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort is extremely dated. There are lots of problems with the maintenance...dodgy lifts...no self closers on any doors leading to the central corridors (big fire hazard), tiles missing, bath cracked and flaking, oven door hanging off....the list goes on. Pool area lookes a health hazard as does the outdoor area. There is no security on the building and in this part of town it certainly needs it. Lots of activity at the nearby tattoo parlours and back alleyways...bars busy with strange characters, and not a safe place to venture out at night on your own. Having been to the States possibly 40 times plus..this is the most intimitated we have been on holiday. On the plus side, Fort Lauderdale is brilliant, the beach is fantastic, weather great and we would definately go back as there is lots to do. We would definately be more selective about our timeshare swap next time and would not be recommending this hotel. In fact if this is the quality of the timeshare with RCI we would cancel our membership tomorrow.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Area
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank Disappointed999
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

We stayed at this resort for a week through RCI...2 couples in a 1 bedroom unit.

Hotel: The lobby was very clean and the grounds although there was alot of construction going on while we were there...We were on the 6th floor and the construction was on the 5th floor...Our first day there they were banging etc. and I just knew the week was going to be filled with me complaining about the noice but it was only that day which I was very happy about...

Room: We had a renovated 1 bedroom unit which was very nice with granite throughout 2 tvs one in the bedroom and one in the living room....1 bathroom with a vanity mirror that was outside the bathroom so ladies could do there hair etc. while someone uses the bathroom...the murphy bed is in the living room with the sleep sofa and our guest said the murphy bed was more comfy then the sleep sofa...the king size bed in the bedroom was very comfy...very big closet in the bedroom...they say the 1 bedroom unit sleeps 6 I would say that's true if you plan on having the kids sleep in the living room area there's no privacy for adults. The kitchen was fully equipped with everything you could possibly need from pots, pans, plates, cups, baking pans, utensils and more.

Only downside of our room is we did NOT have an oceanview...we had the "Construction" view which I did not like at all!!!

Location: Great location 1-2 blocks to the beach and along the way you have a convenience store, bars, tattoo shops a 24hr pizza place, gifts shops etc. within the 2 blocks. We walked to the Olas strip which was about 12-15 blocks. They had lots of eateries and vendors ...we went to the area at night so there wasn't alot going on while we were there but seemed like a nice place to hang out during the early hours.

Beach: The beach was absolutely beautifuly, clean and not crowded at all not sure if it was the time of the year but is was very peaceful and lots of available space. The downside you have to pay $10 a day for a chair/umbrella...Advice buy a chair from the gift stores for $14 during your stay.

Pool: I only looked at the pool...lol... it was very small and faced a big trailer which I thought was an eye sore view...I think they really need to step up the pool a bit...the bar was open for like 3-4 hours every day I think which was in the same area as the pool...I didn't feel the need to go to the bar as it was very small and uninviting.

Front Desk: Employees was helpful, although I requested an oceanview to no avail and was stuck with the construction view...not a big deal they helped as much as they could...Timeshare recruiters bugged us a bit called our room everyday for 3 days until we responded...lol

Plus:
Renovated Rooms
Minutes to the beach

Negative:
One computer in the lobby
They charge you for the safe even if you don't use it
Maid service twice a week (Had to get our own towels, toilet tissue, etc on there off days)
Construction noise (although it's temporary)
None oceanview rooms are not appealing

• Liked — Beach/Renovated Room
  • Disliked — The view from my room and 1 computer
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Luvs2TravelChic
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

We stayed here for a long weekend girls' getaway. We were fortunate to get a renovated unit because I had previously stayed here in 2001 and it was in need of a facelift.

Location - Great, only a few blocks from the beach and a few local bars. There's a cute lil' breakfast place that we frequented. It's walking distance to the main strip. It's also a close drive to Miami and The Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood.

We had a one bedroom unit for 4 girls. 2 in the king and 2 in the murphy bed. Both beds were comfortable. The unit was very clean upon check in, but since it's timeshare you don't get the daily maid service.

The only negative -- The whole unit with exception of the bedroom is all ceramic tile. If you have connecting unit, you hear EVERYTHING going on next door from the tv to neighbor couple arguing to someone blowing their nose. There was no way to muffle the sound since the tile just made the sound travel.

All in all, it's a nice place to stay in Ft. Lauderdale without having to pay $100+/night. It was clean and I would recommend it to a friend.

• Liked — Renovated room
  • Disliked — The lack of soundproofing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank queeni1129
bethlehem. PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

I have stayed at the FLBR several times and they just keep getting better due to the excellent management of Ramona P.
She and her staff are always lookiing to improve the stay of the guest,The new remodeled rooms are excellent and the views are great,along with the location. Easy acess to all major locations and best of all right down from the beach, a block away.This place is clean, secure, and both family and single friendly.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no wi -fi internet in rooms, need to go to lobby to use and signal not great
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo