“Great Location - Great Value”

Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed in a 1 br 1.5 ba ocean view room on the 17th floor for 8 days and 7 nights. My parents were about to lose their timeshare, so they let us use a week. We only had to pay $300.00 for the entire stay. The resort is literally 1 block away from the beach. It was so, so fun. The first day we got there we went to the local Publix to buy groceries. We made breakfast and lunch at the hotel every day.

When the timeshare people try to talk to you you should accept the "breakfast meeting". The breakfast is not very good, but they give you a 100 dollar gift card for listening to them for a half an hour. The resort is very close to a mall, and in that mall is my very favorite restaurant of all time, The Capital Grille. Our $100 gift card was spent well on an amazing steak and lobster mac and cheese.

As far as decor of the hotel...Let's just say Golden Girls and leave it at that. The hotel can definitely use an upgrade, but 300 for an entire week was more than worth it. Everything is clean, just not as trendy as I prefer. It's what you make of it right?

This resort is only a 10 minute walk or 4 dollar cab ride to the gay beach, Sebastian Beach. There are also several gay resorts around the area that let you enjoy their bar and pool at no extra charge. We went to Sebastian Beach almost every day. It was lovely. This resort is also pretty close to the gay night scene too. I think our cabs to Georgie's alibi was only like 12 bucks.

We had a great time here, and will definitely be back someday.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Robby S

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We received this as a gift thru a time share exchange from my boss so I feel bad writing anything negative as it was "free" for us. As other travellers have mentioned the studio isn't something you want to stay in for any period of time. We got a room on the 16th floor overlooking the bay which was beautiful but couldn't entirely enjoy as there is no balcony on studio units and the windows only open a few inches. Unfortunately we slept thru all of the sunsets as we pretty much stayed on pacific time :). Check-in was quick and painless although getting a parking pass requires talking to guest services.. Guest services tried to hand us free gift cards and free lunch in exchange for an hour of our time, I politely refused but that didn't stop them from leaving pamphlets in our door for 3 days and even a couple phone calls to our room. I don't want a timeshare or any sort of vacation sold to me while I'm on vacation and this kind of selling drives me nuts and is the reason I will never buy one.
The "Studio" was really a hotel room with a two burner hot plate. The kitchenette was tiny, placed in a 3' wide hallway at the entry door. It had zero counter space, not even enough room to set a small plate and the sink too small to wash a frying pan. A smoke detector placed about 5' down the confined hall went off 3 times while boiling or frying eggs!
The king size bed was comfortable but used up the majority of the space leaving a little room along the window for a small table and 2 chairs. A single door between us and the next unit (allowing our unit to be used as a second bedroom I suppose) was sealed poorly and conversations and theatrics next door were heard as clear as day. Furnishings were clean, comfortable but dated.
We didn't use the pool or hot tub at all although I did notice it is out of the sun for the better part of the day.
Overall I wouldn't put this past a 3 star resort and I won't be staying in the studio again. I did glance into some of the bedroom units on departure and noticed they are considerably more spacious.

Room Tip: Studio is ok if your expecting a hotel room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Erik D
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 3 days for a romantic getaway and it was nice but not worth how much we spent. Service was nice and the room was spacious but the bathroom fan was not working the entire time we were there, the shower leaked, and the first night the alarm clock went off at 1am and scared me and woke us both up. My husband could not get back to sleep after so he lost almost an entire night of sleep over it. Breakfast was included in our package and was okay but we were not planning on having to pay tip for a waitress everyday. I wish we would have known that our included breakfast was going to cost us tip everyday and a significant one at that. We later went to Illios for happy hour and the slidders that we ordered were terrible! We could not even identify the meat in one of them. Although, S3 had wonderful food. The lamb chops were one the best things I have ever tasted. Unfortunately, my husband's food came out 10 minutes or so before mine did. He tried to wait for mine but I didn't want his to get cold and the plates aren't very big. That was our nice dinner out and we didn't really get to eat together which was disappointing. Overall, beautiful place and everyone we met was nice but I had higher expectations.

1  Thank Jess C
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We loved our vacation!! the staff was the best!! We arrived to celebrate being cancer free and everyone knew us upon arrival! Ariel at the front desk was amazing!!! super nice and so accommodating!! we next met the concierge- Vicki!! all accommodating as well! the personable nature of everyone at the hotel was off the charts!!! Jerry at the pol had the best personality and at breakfast we so enjoyed Nick( from OHIO :)) and Arlene, who just made our mornings pleasant!! we knew where to go what to do and got tickets for what we needed- the breakfast buffet was superb!! and a great way to start your day overlooking the sun coming up over the pool and looking over the beach! the pool was amazing- loved the way you could be by the pool- the beach or secluded around the sides of the Hotel. the views ALL day from our 6th floor poolside were awesome!! The fish tacos were excellent and we had them about 3 times and the rum runners were excellent as well! Loved meeting the GM of the hotel- John....so personable and he is a survivor as well! took the time to say hello - give hugs and made sure we had a special time at the Hilton! YOU ROCK JOHN! and our last night we met the F & B director John, who took care of us as well. We did so much outside of the hotel - but when we came back - it was like coming home:) We will defiantly stay here again and we highly recommended this Hotel to anyone who is traveling to Ft Lauderdale. thank you for making our trip memorable!! Brian & Jeanne- Cleveland - OH. Best staff and management team ever!

Room Tip: Get a room that is next to the Westin Hotel side. you will have the best view of the beach, ocean an...
1  Thank Jeanne J
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed for week. Very peaceful place and roomy apartments. Furnishing is getting a bit old and kitchen accessories were older like frying pan wasn't teflon coated. Garage was easy and accessible. One block from the beach. Pool was clean and there was a hot tub as well. Sauna wasn't a real sauna, Me as a Finn can tell you that! We did day trips so we weren't much in the apartment. Safe locker fee came as a surprise as in Scandinavia we don't charge extra for that. However it was $ 10,60 for a week.

Our room was to the ocean and the scene was ok behind B Ocean.

3  Thank Rihardi
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Just got back from vacation here again. I love it! Everything right there and great base for many day trips again. The parks next door were great. Nice atmosphere on the intercoastal. Units clean as always, front desks girls are very nice and knowledgeable. I can't wait to go back. Miss it already!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Lynchmob2
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We spent a week at the Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort in March. The area is hopping as many university kids are on spring break (spring break seems to last several weeks, they must stagger the timing) but the beach is so large and lovely that you can enjoy watching their enthusiasm and then move to a quieter area if so desired. The beach is well cared for, raked every morning (after the turtle patrol goes through) and people seem to be careful about their garbage.
The resort was also well cared for. Yes, it is clearly older but our unit was totally updated, comfortable and really large. We had a lovely view of the ocean. The only complaints I can offer are, only two main elevators are a bit slow (although not as much of a problem as I anticipated) and we could hear roof compressors in bed at night - fortunately the bed was so comfortable and we were so tired it didn't matter.
The staff were pleasant and helpful. Wifi worked pretty well (better than many resorts). There weren't lots of hidden costs and the timeshare sales (actually for a vacation club) were so low key we didn't even notice at first (and never had to say no over and over.)
Great location for shops, water taxi (a must), Publix, restaurants, state park, Bonnet House, etc. etc. We plan to return for sure.

Room Tip: Both directions are nice, ocean view or intracoastal, a little higher means you can see more.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple