“No tiki bar. Bad service.”

Florida Beach Hotels
Ranked #101 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
chicago
“No tiki bar. Bad service.”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have never written a bad review about any hotel, restaurant, anywhere. But, I will start now. My boyfriend and I checked in on a Tuesday afternoon at Lauderdale beachside hotel. The problem with the front desk was, when I had booked airfare & this hotel, I paid for both online. Well, according to the front desk “they didn’t receive my payment” even though it was on the actual website itself, AND bank statement. So, we had to pay TWICE. Next, our hotel room. The one positive about our room was the view, we were second floor and overlooking the beach; that view was perfect. It was amazing watching the sunrise and having a few drinks on the balcony relaxing throughout the day. The room itself was old and needed MUCH repairs. I understand it isn’t a 5 star hotel, but with water damage on the ceilings, rust in the bathroom, and even the door didn’t lock, those things are essential to keeping a hotel in business; clearly they do not care. Then, on our last full day in the hotel, it was a Friday afternoon, everyone was hanging out in the tiki bar pool area having a great time, and then the ATF comes in [alcohol, tobacco, firearm.] Apparently the hotel owners called the ATF on the bar/kitchen owner, how unprofessional. They ended up taking every last bottle of alcohol and can of beer, and ridding those few workers of their jobs. It was kind of sad being a witness to all of this going on right next to us. If you are planning on staying at this hotel, I would call and see if the Tiki bar area is back up and running, because that was another positive about the hotel. Being able to have a burger and fries and a refreshing beverage after a few hours in the hot sun, and with great bartenders working, it was a fun spot to hangout at. Overall, this hotel needs a lot of work done and needs to get their heads on straight if they want any more business coming through.
Oh! And P.S. forgot to mention the towel issue. They do not supply beach towels, and give you very small shower towels. (For my boyfriend and I, he is 6’3 and I’m just short of 6 foot… this was a problem.) We instead went to the CVS right across the street and got two beach towels for $10, so I suggest doing that as well!

Room Tip: Beachside room, view is amazing. Bring your own towels, or buy some from the stores across the stree...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grace2412

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 15, 2012

The hotel looks horrendous from the outside, so I was hoping it would not be that way on the inside. I was very wrong. The hotel is worse on the inside. To start off, the worker at the front desk was very unhelpful with anything that was asked. She seemed to be very clueless and acted like it was her first day on the job. Next, we get to the room (after a hassle because the room we requested was said to be booked already even with myself booking it way in advance). When we are beginning to get settled in the room, I go into the bathroom to find many ants crawling every where in a corner near the bath tub. Ick! Then I went back in a second time to see 2 HUGE cockroaches crawling on the floor. I look closer and see that there are about a dozen baby cockroaches crawling all over the floor. The front desk was called and I asked them to have someone come up and control the bugs. No one came. If all that was not bad enough, when I walked out from the bathroom I saw 2 more (EVEN BIGGER) cockroaches crawling on the walls. Then I looked on the other wall to see that there was a HUGE centipede crawling up it. That was enough to make us never want to stay there again. We immediately took all of our luggage out of the room and checked out after not even 20 minutes of being there. I will NEVER EVER go back to that place for as long as I live. It is unhealthy and unsanitary and changes need to be made FAST. They cannot expect people to vacation to their hotel while it is infested with bugs. If you do not believe my post, then take a gander for yourself. But I kid you not when I say that theses cockroaches were the size of my index finger.

Room Tip: "Huge cockroaches in rooms do not stay"
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michelle B

Travelers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Columbia Heights
Reviewed April 12, 2012

On March 31, 2012, after an hour wait in the lobby, our quiet, ocean-front room with a balcony (reserved months in advance) became a pool-side room with no balcony. The noise from the pool and tiki bar kept us awake until after 2:30 AM the first night. The room came with one towel, wash cloth, hand towel, and bar of soap for two people and repeated reasurrances from desk personnel that we would get towels resulted in no more towels. The sign in the room that beach towels were available at the pool was a lie, so our one bath towel was also to be used at the pool. The pool was sand-filled and the pool deck area trash was not picked up.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison M
melrose
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I have been reading these reviews and Andrew is not rude he is very helpful and the manager Jennifer, The service there is good I have called and talked to both Jennifer and Andrew over 10 times in the past makeing and changing our resevation and they where very nice about me calling that many times. When we where there last year we had a great time yes the hotel is old but you know that even before you get there, We had 2 rooms in the beach building room 152 and the one next to it, they where fine for having a fun time you have the pool the bar the beach right out your doors, When you travel with a group you enjoy being with it dosen't matter where or what the rooms or workers are like your on vaction just have fun. We will be there every year during spring break because its always fun.Can't wait to get there and have a great time. From Chicago

Room Tip: Beach building and have and open mind you will have a lot of fun.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Carlotta M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Paid $341.88 for the 17th and 18th of march 2012, booked it on the internet while I was in Orlando with my husband what a mistake arrived to be told we where on the 3rd floor but the lift was not working , Got to the room and the lock on the door didnt work , was moved next door still lock on door was so hard to use , Bigger problems in room no towels in bathroom , safe didnt work , dirty pants under the bed , Hair dryer in bathroom wire and plug was held together with black tape , the bed sheets were stained, cigarette burns in sheets and ice machine did not work. I didnt even go back to reception to complain because there where already people there complaining left very early the next morning staying only the one night . Arrived back in the Uk today 29/03/12 , always holiday in the US an have always had good hotels , I also cant believe what I was charged for a 2 Night stay ( only staying 1) Booked with www.get a room .com . PLEASE DONT STAY HERE

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2012

6pm on Saturday, and still waiting for the 2 rooms we booked for 1 night,and writting this review as we're waiting. UNACCEPTABLE! Got my travel agent to call, and see what's going on, as they don't care, and he spoke with the front desk manager Andrew that really didn't care about it neither, and hung up on him. We know not to expect much but a minimal level of courtesy and professionalism, can make the pill easier to swallowed when it comes to places like this. Don't bother, spend the extra $30-$50 more per person, and go somewhere else.... this place is rundown, dirty and unsafe

Room Tip: don't book there
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tiatatravelagent
Lake Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed for 7 nights in March 2012.
Inconsistent housekeeping - it was "pot luck" as to what bathroom linen you got each day(if any!). Some days you would get just two towels and nothing else.The bathroom floor was very slippery so you really needed a bathmat. Watch that floor!!
Daily room cleaning was erratic - with debris on floor evident on checkin and was still there on checkout.
Basic room amenities - no hotel info in room and no capacity to contact reception from room(maybe intentional?) Safe was falling apart.
Reception staffed seemed to take ages to process any issues and ranged from very helpful to indifferent(particularly one gentleman)
No in room cofee making facilities in room as stated on website.
I'm still waiting on requested (twice) ironing board
Iron that was supplied on request was disgusting with brown gunk emerging from steam holes.
Breakfast "buffet"(and I use the term buffet loosely)was chaotic with often not enough seating for demand. There was no butter for four days and requests to the breakfast "guards" was met with indifference.
Interesting to hear comments from other guests at breakfast, "rooms not like website", "lift not operating", "no hot water" etc.
The website states the "new" Lauderdale Beachside Hotel and seems to aspire to higher standards.
Unfortunately there is a long way to go and housekeeping consistency and PR staff development training with reception staff would be a starting point! Well trained staff can compensate for many other deficiencies in the Hotel business.
Renovations appeared cheaply completed and paintwork and tiling poorly finished. Carpet was poorly fitted in our room and was rising in areas.
7 nights was too long in this hotel
On the +ve side the location is very good and included parking and in room wifi was appreciated.
The Concierge Andrew was friendly and helpful with advice regarding local attractions(probably the most consistent feature of the the Hotel!).
Has potential but currently a long way from realisation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank davestan12016
Jenifer M, General Manager at Florida Beach Hotels, responded to this review, March 24, 2012
Hello Guest, first of all I want to thank you for your feedback. It makes it easier to work on different inconsistencies and better our hotel & staff. We have 2 new front desk agents that are in training at the moment, I do apologize if they seemed uncertain about certain things, we are still teaching them. As for the towels, one of our washing machines recently stopped working and are doing our best with the one we have and should be getting the new one installed this coming week. We have recently promoted a new housekeeping manager who is working hard with each housekeeper to ensure that all of our guests are getting the best service. We are also working on the website because we no longer offer coffee makers in the room and although we started renovations in August 2011 we have been selling out almost every week and had to put on hold the renovations we had originally started. Again thank you for your feedback and we will continue to work on every department and have our beautiful hotel & staff reaching beyond anyones expectations. I consider coming back in the future so you can be part of all the changes we are making.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Lauderdale
#21 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Castle by the Sea
Castle by the Sea
#12 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea

Been to Florida Beach Hotels? Share your experiences!