I booked this hotel even after reading the bad reviews, because I know that human nature dictates that people will expect way more than what they are willing to pay for. We rented this hotel (3 adults) for $74 per night, which is including the $9 for valet parking (which was GREAT) and the daily resort fee. I was not expecting the Hilton. For $74 per night, ON THE BEACH, I assumed I would be grateful to have a bed and a bathroom, which is all I really needed. We spend our time outside, not in the room.
Imagine my surprise when we entered the lobby and saw beautiful marble floors, a fabulous chandelier, nice furniture and even a piano. Still waiting for "the other shoe to fall", I figured the rooms would be horrible according to what I had read. Wrong again. Old, yes. But clean, good sized rooms well equipped with towels, linens, and every appliance (fridge, microwave, coffee maker) in good condition. We asked for extra coffee the first day, and the maids saw to it that we got extra coffee every day. My daughter needed extra conditioner for her hair, it was supplied each day, without us having to ask. The room was cleaned at our convenience, and always a pleasure to come back to.
Yes, the building is old. IT'S FORT LAUDERDALE. Many of the hotels on the beach are this same age, and I think it's safe to say that many of them have not been updated. But if you want a brand new resort with a 4 or 5 star rating, don't bother to look at anything under $200 per night. The door knob to the patio door was a bit loose, but there was a deadbolt lock that meant the door was not going to be opened no matter how loose the doorknob was.
The pool was fantastic, as was the hot tub. On the last day of our visit, the hot tub was closed for about 5 hours for maintenance. I have a hot tub at home, you do have to do maintenance on them or they will totally break down. It happened to be while we were there, on a Wed. so it was not like it was the weekend or a peak season. Big deal, we could live with it.
As far as renting the beach chairs and umbrellas, yes, you do have to rent them. But again, most places that rent rooms for less than $100 per night will charge extra for the beach equipment. I thought it was great that they had the "beach toys" available right there on the spot (jet skis, kayaks, etc.) As for the price on those, the places at the lakes here in MO charge substantially more to rent jet skis than what the resort in FL did, and you get a much better ride there on the ocean.
We did not eat in the restaurant often, but what we had was good. The same goes for the tiki bar. But, comparing their prices to what we paid in other restaurants in the area, they were totally in line.
I firmly believe that you get what you pay for, and if you by chance find a place where you get MORE than you paid for, it's an unexpected benefit. We will return to this place often, and if others think it's too old or too expensive, let them try to find another place with a great beach, wonderful pool, clean rooms and good service for this price.
One more thing... to those who said the service was poor - perhaps if you had treated the employees with kindness and respect, you would have gotten the same EXCELLENT service that we got.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on the beach, Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort is perfectly situated minutes away from major attractions, restaurants and shopping. Rooms are equipped with mini-refrigerators, microwaves, hair-dryers, in room safes and coffee-makers. All standard rooms have a side-ocean view and open air balcony. Oceanfront view, 1 bedroom suites are also available. Our large pool deck features an oversized jacuzzi, heated pool, tiki bar and water sports. The resort also has an indoor/outdoor restaurant, fitness center, gift shop and mini golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Sky Hotel And Resort
- Ocean Sky Resort
- Ocean Sky Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Lauderdale Ramada