“Natasha J. and Carley B. Terrific Stay”

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Ranked #59 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the first time, and would definitely return.
The location was perfect. We enjoyed the beach, pool, and hot tub daily.
Our room was comfortable. There was a partial view of the ocean from our balcony
which was still beautiful and relaxing. Cecilia(front desk Manager), and the rest of the
staff was friendly and accommodating. We would definitely stay here again when we
vacation in Florida.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

We are grateful to have had you as our guests, Natasha J and Carley B! Those are very nice comments about Cecilia and the staff. We thank you so much as we share the comments with everyone. It would be our pleasure to have you as regular, return guests.

Best Regards,
Paul Cahaly

Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Booked the room through priceline and was a little concerned when i read the reviews. Well most of the reviews were actually being nice.

The hotel is located way down the strip from all the other beach hotels. Upon walking in, you just notice how tacky the lobby is. After getting off the elevator, you walk down these dingy musty smelly guest halls. Upon entering the room I thought we had checked into the motel 6. The bathroom was so old and outdated it was gross. The room was cheaply furnished and the AC could not cool it down. After we returned from dinner we noticed two ants in the bathroom sink. Thought that was odd. It wasn't until we decided to go to bed. All of a sudden in bed, I felt like I was getting bit. I turned the light on and my partner and I discovered we were getting eaten alive by ants. There were ants in our bed, ants crawling on the walls. crawling all over the bathroom and even some sort of flying ants. We jumped out of bed and immediately went down to the front desk. The front desk agent barely even apologized and we were moved to another room in the middle of the night. The next morning we wake up to find more ants in our new room.
At this point I asked to speak to a manager. She apologized and offered to move us once again. Finally a 3rd room and this one didn't have ants.

Overall the hotel is old and run down. But it is absolutely infested with bugs. I left the hotel and started noticing red bumps all over my legs and arms where i was bitten by ants in bed. All we received for this nightmare was free parking!!!! Honestly somebody should call the health board and have this hotel shut down!! Absolutely no excuse for this type of situation to occur.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ericsf
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Our hotel prides itself on its cleanliness and sanitary conditions, and maintains a regular pest control contract. There would appear to be one or two isolated incidents recently and, as a precaution, we have changed contracts to a different firm which is nationally recognized. These isolated incidents were already taken care of.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked a four night stay through Priceline and initially was pleased with the room (8008). I awoke after the first night to find myself covered in little red itchy bumps. I was showing the bumps to my daughter and she noticed a little reddish colored bug crawling on her pillowcase. My son captured the bug in a waterglass and took it down to the front desk, they advised us that they would notify the hotel manager and immediately switched us to another room (8022). The next night we slept with the lights on because we were afraid to be devoured by bed bugs again and was hoping the lights would keep them from coming out again. The next morning, more itchy bumps!! We were advised that we couldn't get a refund on the room because it had been purchased through Priceline. Anyway to make a long story short, the hotel is located right on the beach, the staff is friendly and responsive but I would never recommend or revisit because here it is four days later and I still have noticeable bed bug bites and am still itchy!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela K
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We were quite disappointed by this hotel, it has a great location on the beach, but apart from this it is not well maintained. The room smelled funny and the air conditioning was extremely loud.
Fortunately we stayed only one night.
The main advantage was that they granted a late check out (at additional cost of 50 $)

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Maja-online

Yes, we are indeed one of the very few hotels in Ft Lauderdale directly on the beach. We have invested about 2 million dollars into the resort in the last few years and our aim is only satisfied guests but if you feel that the A/C is making a noise or there is any kind of smell in the room that you do not agree with, these are easy things to remedy. I don't believe any hotelier would ever say that they are always perfect, it's how you remedy a situation if it's needed. We can always fix what is wrong and if we can't do it quickly, we can offer a room change very easily. Please see us again in the future and if you run into an issue, please let us know right away so that we can rectify it.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I cannot understand why people have written bad reviews for this hotel. This hotel was absolutely fantastic and great value for money. All the staff from the front desk to the housekeeping staff were very friendly and made everything possible to make our stay comfortable and relaxed. Nothing was too much trouble The hotel is based in a quiet neighbourhood of North Fort Lauderdale and has plenty of amenities accross the street from a supermarket, Gift shops, dry cleaners, Pharmacy, restaurants and bars. Even public transportation is on your doorstep with bus routes to take you to the Galleria and Sawgrass mills.
The hotel was clean and housekeeping was done on a daily basis. I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and will be booking to stay again next year!!!!
A big thanks to all the staff for making my stay so enjoyable especially the ladies on the front desk!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank BillG071055
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

It really means alot to us to read your comments. We share them with our staff and they really appreciated your kindness. Hope to see you soon!!

Thank you again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The front desk staff was fabulous. We came here with my company for business and all the staff was so friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. That was no small task with 25 women. There were 2 other groups there and everyone was extremely pleased with the hotel and staff. I even called my husband to meet me there so we could have a long weekend. We had a wonderful time, beautiful pool, beachfront, close to shopping and restaurants, lovely view of the ocean from our room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tseminole

Thank you for the kind words about our front desk and staff and I am so glad that you turned it into a long weekend with your husband!
Hope to see you often in the future.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I don't understand why people complain about this hotel. I have stayed there 12 years out of the past 13. You won't find a better hotel on the beach, in a good neighborhood, within walking distance of anything you want for the price ANYWHERE in south Florida. I am a native Miamian, so I know a lot about S. Florida. There is no place else I would rather stay than Ocean Sky. Every other hotel with its' amenities, neighborhood, and on the beach is WAY more expensive. What do these other people expect for the price?? The one year I had complaints about the decor and the service, I talked to the manager (and gave him a list of complaints). He not only, fixed all of the problems, he sincerely apologized and greatly reduced the rate I had agreed to pay. Every year since then (at his request), I book directly through him (the MANAGER) and I get a great rate! Paul really impressed me! Also, for the man who complained that he thought something had been stolen from his room? THEY HAVE A SAFE in every room! I use it! I'm not crazy about paying for the valet service, but they are VERY nice and I know my car is in good hands! The front desk staff that was so rude to me that one stay is gone now. The complaints I had about paint peeling, balcony door sticking, etc., have all been fixed. Oh, and for those who complain about the balcony doors being hard to open? They are WOOD doors, ON THE BEACH! The humidity, salt air, and heat make the door stick! It happens on EVERY balcony door on the beach, if it is made of wood!! I love this hotel, and will continue to stay there every vacation for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: The whole hotel is non-smoking, so don't stay here if you expect to smoke. I snuck a few cigs o...