“On the beach, but otherwise disappointing”

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Ranked #61 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We were quite disappointed by this hotel, it has a great location on the beach, but apart from this it is not well maintained. The room smelled funny and the air conditioning was extremely loud.
Fortunately we stayed only one night.
The main advantage was that they granted a late check out (at additional cost of 50 $)

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Maja-online
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Yes, we are indeed one of the very few hotels in Ft Lauderdale directly on the beach. We have invested about 2 million dollars into the resort in the last few years and our aim is only satisfied guests but if you feel that the A/C is making a noise or there is any kind of smell in the room that you do not agree with, these are easy things to remedy. I don't believe any hotelier would ever say that they are always perfect, it's how you remedy a situation if it's needed. We can always fix what is wrong and if we can't do it quickly, we can offer a room change very easily. Please see us again in the future and if you run into an issue, please let us know right away so that we can rectify it.

There are newer reviews for Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I cannot understand why people have written bad reviews for this hotel. This hotel was absolutely fantastic and great value for money. All the staff from the front desk to the housekeeping staff were very friendly and made everything possible to make our stay comfortable and relaxed. Nothing was too much trouble The hotel is based in a quiet neighbourhood of North Fort Lauderdale and has plenty of amenities accross the street from a supermarket, Gift shops, dry cleaners, Pharmacy, restaurants and bars. Even public transportation is on your doorstep with bus routes to take you to the Galleria and Sawgrass mills.
The hotel was clean and housekeeping was done on a daily basis. I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and will be booking to stay again next year!!!!
A big thanks to all the staff for making my stay so enjoyable especially the ladies on the front desk!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank BillG071055
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

It really means alot to us to read your comments. We share them with our staff and they really appreciated your kindness. Hope to see you soon!!

Thank you again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The front desk staff was fabulous. We came here with my company for business and all the staff was so friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. That was no small task with 25 women. There were 2 other groups there and everyone was extremely pleased with the hotel and staff. I even called my husband to meet me there so we could have a long weekend. We had a wonderful time, beautiful pool, beachfront, close to shopping and restaurants, lovely view of the ocean from our room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tseminole

Thank you for the kind words about our front desk and staff and I am so glad that you turned it into a long weekend with your husband!
Hope to see you often in the future.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I don't understand why people complain about this hotel. I have stayed there 12 years out of the past 13. You won't find a better hotel on the beach, in a good neighborhood, within walking distance of anything you want for the price ANYWHERE in south Florida. I am a native Miamian, so I know a lot about S. Florida. There is no place else I would rather stay than Ocean Sky. Every other hotel with its' amenities, neighborhood, and on the beach is WAY more expensive. What do these other people expect for the price?? The one year I had complaints about the decor and the service, I talked to the manager (and gave him a list of complaints). He not only, fixed all of the problems, he sincerely apologized and greatly reduced the rate I had agreed to pay. Every year since then (at his request), I book directly through him (the MANAGER) and I get a great rate! Paul really impressed me! Also, for the man who complained that he thought something had been stolen from his room? THEY HAVE A SAFE in every room! I use it! I'm not crazy about paying for the valet service, but they are VERY nice and I know my car is in good hands! The front desk staff that was so rude to me that one stay is gone now. The complaints I had about paint peeling, balcony door sticking, etc., have all been fixed. Oh, and for those who complain about the balcony doors being hard to open? They are WOOD doors, ON THE BEACH! The humidity, salt air, and heat make the door stick! It happens on EVERY balcony door on the beach, if it is made of wood!! I love this hotel, and will continue to stay there every vacation for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: The whole hotel is non-smoking, so don't stay here if you expect to smoke. I snuck a few cigs o...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank psychrn65

Thank you personally for the nice comments and for your amazing loyalty to us. I am so glad to have you with us so long that you have seen all of our improvements and we look forward to seeing you for many more years.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We took the grandkids for an overnight trip to Ft Lauderdale in July and stayed in one of their one-bedroom suites. The hotel was nice - modern & clean. The staff was courteous and professional. The pool & hot tub were large & also clean. We had a drink at the outdoor tiki bar ($$$), but didn't try the hotel restaurant. The location is great - right on the beach & plenty of restaurants & clubs within walking distance on A1A. Don't remember what we spent on the room, but it was reasonable. We'll stay there again when we're in Ft Lauderdale.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mike E

It is so nice of you to bring your grandchildren to the beach for vacation. We hope to have you enjoy it with them here for years to come. Thank you for the nice words. We really appreciate that.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

When we arrived ,last saturday ,front desk lady was Average same like normal hotel,,Great Location ,Bar So poor ,they need more activity on the pool site,the jacuzzi was broken ,water was really hot but the pump do not run,room clean and very confortable ,nice balconies ,one elevator not work,also the restaurant all time was empty ,we paid around 79.00 dollars plus tax and fees,in the future I would like to spend couple days on Ocean Sky & Resort,but they need to work in this issues ,Bar and restaurant need more creative and variety,and

Room Tip: Rooms with intercoastal view,727 and 725
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carl T
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for staying with us. Very glad that you are interested in staying with us again.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The hotel location is perfect! Right on the beach! The pool overlooks the ocean and there is access to the beach. The restaurant was good the first day we ate there, but on the second day, we ordered hamburgers and they were terrible!! They were frozen patties. They were so greasy! TERRIBLE!!! The service, however, was great! The room could have been cleaner...we found a bunch of hair in the sheets & in the bathroom. WE talked about the maid service wearing hair nets...that would really help!

Room Tip: The closer you get to the beach, the better, seeing as how the hotel is facing the side
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kriswalk

Thank you for the kind comments and we will look into those issues that you mentioned.

Hope to see you again soon.