“RESORT it's Not!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Ranked #51 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Miami
“RESORT it's Not!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just like my title says " Resort it's Not!". The Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort was more like a standard beachside motel. Rates fluctuated between $99 - $260 a night for the Labor Day weekend. My family spent the weekend and each one of our rooms although exactly the same had different rates. Item's which made this stay less than a Resort were the $12 a day Valet or Self-parking fee from an outside vendor even though they're set up at the properties entrance. Double lounge chairs AKA Cabanas rented for $40, once again from outside vendor that is actually on the "resorts" poolside property. They also rent waverunners and beach umbrellas at an additional charge. I've stayed at many resorts and from my experience a resort includes all of these onsite amenities and don't nickel and dime you for pool or beach lounge chairs. To me a cabana is a private/ semi private temporary or permanent free standing shade structure with curtains, decorative drapes and/or solid walls not a double lounge chairs with an umbrella so to charge $40 rental fee is so NOT a Resort thing to do. Another issue at this property was the lack of security. A fist fight started pool side in the early evening between drunk guests and I think they sent someone from the front desk. Smoking is not permitted in the rooms and they have a sign stating that if housekeeping finds a cigarette you'll be find $150 but I guess cannabis doesn't fall into that category as it was being smoked on my floor. Not a good thing when there's children. Lack of ice was another issue. Ice machines were only available on odd floors but you couldn't find any ice. All of the machines were always empty. Final issue was the Valet. Family members that checked in late paid the valet person cash yet at time of check-out they didn't remember taking the cash and quickly added it to the room. To avoid this add the valet fee to your room and DON'T PAY the Valet in CASH! Anyhow, if you decide to stay at this so called "Resort" just keep in mind of the nickel and diming you'll be faced with.

Room Tip: Ask for the southwest corner units that way you have a great sunset view and only share one wall wit...
2 Thank JerzboyMiami
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Room rates do fluctuate depending on when you book just like airlines pricing for example. Parking is a great value here especially for being right on the beach and the charge is always placed on the room which is relayed to our guests on check in. Parking and water sports and other outlets onsite at hotels are frequently concessions. I am also not aware of any resort that offers complimentary waverunners. We are a completely smoke free hotel. When we are busy on holiday weekends, the ice, despite being plentiful, tends to go fast.

Paul Cahaly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Hebrew first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked this hotel as it was my first time in Fort Lauderdale and it seemed to be close to a lot of things and was a decent price. While I had seen a number of bad reviews, I decided to try it out anyway, as I had stayed at other hotels that also had some bad reviews but had turned out to be fantastic. This hotel is anything but fantastic. The pictures are extremely misleading. I thought when they said "renovated" that it meant more than just a new coat of cheap paint. The balcony was renovated, but you couldnt see much from it anyway. The rooms were musty and smelled disgusting. The other guests at the hotel were obnoxious, rude, and careless. They would just throw piles of garbage outside their doors (which housekeeping left there for HOURS), not caring about the other guests around them. We stayed for 5 days and housekeeping did not clean our room once. They did change our towels and sheets though. The coffee maker and half of our outlets didnt work. The elevators NEVER worked and we had to wait at least 10 minutes every time. We had to use the service elevator almost every time as the 2 main elevators never seemed to be anywhere. And they were obviously in no rush to fix this, even though it was Labor Day weekend and the hotel was packed. I cant tell you how many times we were shoved into the service elevator with housekeeping and their dumpters full of garbage. It was absolutely disgusting and so unprofessional. They did have a beach elevator that took you directly down to the pool area, but half of the time that was out of service as well, with no notice on the doors or anything. They ask you not to walk through the main lobby to the main elevators with swimwear or wet/sandy clothes, but with the beach elevator out of service, I dont know how they expected us to get to our 8th floor room from the beach. The pool area was nice and the beach was decent. If the pool wasnt so full of loud, obnoxious, and disrespectful people, it would have been perfect. The beach in front of the hotel was small and crowded, and you couldnt go anywhere else close by because they were private/reserved beaches. One of the main reasons I chose this hotel was because it was directly on the beach, but I would have rather stayed somewhere else, even if I had to drive to the beach. We ended up driving to nicer beaches in the area anyway. This is one of the last places I would ever stay at again. There are plenty of other hotels on the beach that have everything that you would want/need in a hotel at a decent price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank C W
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations but I must clarify. Our hotel has been renovated as you have stated with new paint and new blue glass railings, new soft goods in the rooms, new artwork in each room, new carpets and LCD tvs. The reason one of our elevators was down was that we are totally renovating the insides of the elevators, with mirrors, new paneling and state of the art electronics. One of the elevators was done that weekend and just waiting for an inspection. I am not aware that our beach elevator was ever down as I saw many guests using the beach elevator that weekend. We clean the rooms daily but if you need more service, we are happy to accommodate. Also, I must add that we have tremendous clientele here and we are very happy that they stay with us.

Travelers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

clean hotel, good location, very friendly staff. The only problem really and its very small is that you had to pay for your car parking, which was $12 per night.
Pool really good and rooms very clean.
overall good value for money for a family of 4

2 Thank drfc76
Thank you for the compliments on our value, cleanliness and location. Please also note that our parking cost is one of the lowest of any hotel located on the beach in Ft Lauderdale. Hope to see you again at any time.

Many Thanks.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

The hotel was nice, the staff friendly and helpful. The location was perfect. The bar was pricy. However I have only one problem with Ft. Lauderdale. It is very beautiful and a big tourist attraction. The city really needs to work on the hospitallity skills of the public transportation not only the public bus drivers but the taxi drivers are the most rudest and price gouging people I have ever met.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Qtip2012
Thank you for the great comments about us but it is unfortunate that the public transportation treated you poorly. The next time that you are with us, please let us know as we have a transportation company that works out of our hotel that is very friendly and helpful.

Hope to see you soon.
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

My daughter and I went to the Ocean Sky resort for 3 days. It was a beautiful spot that had it all. We felt safe here, traveling with just us. The room was nice. The a/c was the only thing not perfect as it seemed to struggle a little, although I like the room about 68 and it was a warm few days. Location is perfect if you want ocean, pool convenience. Would stay here again. Fri/Sat night will cost much more than the other 5 nights.

1 Thank David L K
Thank you for the nice review and comments on your feeling safe here. We like our guests to feel like they are at their home away from home and that their home here has a million dollar view and friendly faces. Come see us any time, it is always our pleasure.

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Despite some of the bad reviews that I had read previoulsy abou this hotel. I decided to stay here anyway and judge for myself beause I did read some very good reviews. Now more about my stay! This hotel's decor was very nice and the hotel staff was superb! Cecilia was who checked me in on the above date. I had originally reserved the room for two nights but I had something that came up and I needed to cancel one night, well she made that happen for me with no problems! Also they had valet parking or you could park your vehicle yourself (it was the same price $12 a day) So since it was raining when we got there we chose valet Trystan was on top of everything! He must have been the only one working and he did a superb job. My car was there wihin the blink of an eye. I must say the location, value, the apperance was very well worth the money for $109 a night. The hotel was right on the beach and I was close to everything! I even had a nice balcony that had a side view of the ocean.The room was very nice, clean and the bed slept very good! I like how the key entry to the room are, you just hold your key up to the sensor instead of having to stick it into the door like most hotels. I will most defintely stay at this resort again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wan B
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and your great review. I will pass along your nice compliments to Cecilia and Trystan. Thank you for also commenting on our new key card system. The sensor key cards are so convenient and easy to use and we are so glad that we made this investment recently.

We would be very grateful to have you back with us at any time.
Thank you!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort is a fantastic place to spend your vacation with your family. a great location, walking distance to restaurants (Italian, Greek, McDonald's...)
We stayed in a beautiful suite with nice balcony ocean view. We enjoyed everything about this hotel. Kitchenette had everything needed, Also the pool area is great and easy access to the beach with beach chairs...and more
I read some of the review and saw some bad ones. Do not believe it.
Very friendly staff, great attention, extremely polite an well educated front desk girls (Cecilia & Catalina) and helpful
We had a great time in this hotel. Definitely would back!!

1 Thank Lidia V
Thank you for the great review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the suite, the great ocean views and our pool deck. I will pass along the nice comments concerning Cecilia and Catalina. Our staff really appreciates the kind words about our hotel and about them personally. It means a great deal to us and I can't thank you enough.

Hope to see you again soon.