“Visits”

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Ranked #61 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We have been coming to the Ocean Sky and before that the Ramada for years. The staff has been extremely accommodating and helpful. Love the pool deck and the beautiful views. We are looking forward to our visit in February and to the updates that the hotel is making. Paul the manager has been very helpful and I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a waterfront location at reasonable rates!! Every season we have met some lovely people from all over the world!

Room Tip: South side of building is sunnier if you like morning sun! All views are nice. Strip mall with store...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lbeach
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Thank you very much for the kind words and for the return visits.

Many Thanks.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

Dunno, is it the construction noise, crappy rooms with no view, scary clientel or BAD food.

Came here for pre-cruise, what a mess!!!!

Waste of a great location.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank TelAvivEater
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2011

I understand that there are inconveniences associated with renovation, but I encourage you to give us another try as we are finishing up our renovation and putting new curtains, linen, blankets and other new soft goods in the room. I must beg to differ on your term "scary clientele". I know that anyone can write anything they desire in this area but I am very proud of our guests that stay here and I am sorry but do not agree with that comment concerning our guests. However, I hope to see you again in the future as I'm sure that you will enjoy the changes.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

After a long flight during a rare end of October snowstorm (18+ Inches) I couldnt wait to just let my head hit the pillow- I was glad I was staying here as I was greeted cordially- even though I was extremely late checking in- The room was nice and large with comportable bed and nice furnishings- I fell asleep immediately. The following day there was a Halloween Party in town and saw a lot of interesting costumes leaving the hotel. The hotel is located right on the ocean in the Galt Mile area- and it was nice to get up each morning and go sit outside looking at the ocean. Also a large pool and Tiki Bar.
All in all- a very good hotel with restaurant and room service.
Doug Merrill

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind words. Come see us anytime and I will be happy to meet you on a return visit.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Ok, we are still at this hotel on our 3rd of 4 days. Before I list the pros and cons let

me say that we paid about $90 a night for this ocean front hotel where we got a partial

ocean view room, which we believe was a pretty good deal. So, feel free to take the cons

with a grain of salt. The balconies are still under renovation (which will be going for

many more months) so are unusable. Supposedly they will be changed to individual

balconies, which would be a big improvement from the long unprivate walkway that they

have now. The hotel itself was in decent shape, but also showed some signs of aging.

Overall, the employees were friendly, but didn't follow up very well.

PROS:
-The gym was small, but I was able to get a good workout every day. They have 2

elliptical machines and 2 treadmills which were in good working order. They had 1

universal type weight machine which offered good variety and also worked well (unlike

many of them). They also had free weights in 5 lb increments from 5-50 lbs.

-The pool area is pretty nice with roughly 50 nice loungers and a pool and jacuzzi, all

right on the beach with easy access.

-The rooms had a small refrigerator, coffee maker w/ supplies and microwave which we

find to be nice to have.

CONS:
-The high speed internet was supposedly free in every room. We had lots of problems with

it. Sometimes it would work fine and other times pages just would not load or take a

very long time. When we asked about it, they said "too many people must be using it".

That's not really acceptable to us when they advertise free highspeed internet. It

remains sporadic and thus I am writing this offline till I can get back on again.

-The Tiki Bar by the pool. Nice enough, but we ordered 2 tropical drinks for $9 each

(the going rate for all their tropical drinks) and they were 1 shot of alcohol, a bit of

tasteless mix all served up in a small plastic solo cup with a straw. Didn't order those

again!!! Canned beers started at $4.25, which seemed more reasonable.

-When we arrived, our room windows were pretty badly spotted with mud from the

construction. We already don't get our balcony, but since we had a partial ocean view,

we would have liked clean windows (BTW, they were not doing any work outside our room

while we were there). We asked to have them cleaned and were told by Ivan that they

would do it. After 24 hours, still no results, so we called again (we really don't enjoy

being nags on our vacation) and the next day they finally cleaned them.

Room Tip: Closer to the water gives a better ocean view. Many have virtually no ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank clearlake007
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My husband and I had been planning a trip to Fort Lauderdale for a few weeks and wanted to find a hotel that was close to the airport. After viewing several, we decided that we liked the location and beachfront access this property offered. Of course we checked Tripadvisor for reviews and decided to take the chance even after reading a few horrible experiences. My husband and I called on two separate occasions before booking asking what the fees associated with the hotel were and we were told that there was only a $10 per night parking fee. We decided to take the chance to book.

We decided to do some sight-seeing before checking in so even though our room was supposed to be ready by 3:00pm, we did not arrive until 9:45pm. Upon arrival, we were told that the parking lot was full and we would have to park in a parking lot around the corner (not something you want to hear when you are paying $10/night to park). At check-in, we were told by Blaga that there were only 2 rooms left with a partial view of the ocean so we picked one. Then we were surprised when she told us that there was a $25/night deposit even though we were told that the only fees/deposits on two separate occasions was for the parking. After bringing our luggage up to our room, we were surprised yet again to walk into what appeared to be an already occupied room (bed unmade, towels on the floor, binders on the table.) When we walked back downstairs to share this information, Blaga argued with us as if we were lying about what we saw instead of apologizing for the encounter. Another check-in attendant, Ivan, reluctantly helped us find another room, which was the last one they had left even though we pre-booked a partial ocean view. Already somewhat irritated, we walked to our new room and found within minutes that the TV was broken, but most importantly, the toilet did not work. Now extremely mad, we walked back downstairs to have neither Ivan nor Blaga offer an apology to either one of us. Ivan was extremely rude and pushy. Horrible customer service. Finally, the third NON-ocean view room was acceptable, even though a room was supposed to be ready by 3:00 and it was now 10:30pm.

The rooms are very plain/bland. Does not offer many amenities. Definitely in need of renovation and touchups. Definitely not what you would think would be typical of a nice beach resort at all. The lobby is beautiful but they forgot about the rooms.

The outside view helped to put us in better moods the next day. The best thing about the hotel is the beachfront property. It is absolutely beautiful and their pool deck is very nice. It is almost as if they put all their effort into the pool deck and beach area to help compensate for the horrible customer service and extremely run down rooms.

Overall, the experience was disappointing because of the horrible customer service and lackluster room. Other people have said that it is a beautiful resort run by incapable management who can not upkeep the hotel and we completely agree. If you are not looking to stay in your room at all and can deal with unhelpful, rude, and uncaring hotel staff and management, then you should consider staying here because the beach and pool are beautiful. The only friendly/helpful staff member in the entire place was the parking attendant. Maybe he should be promoted to management.

Room Tip: Hope they give you one that is unoccupied....
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rabrown0910

I do apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered. I would encourage a return visit as we are excited about our changes through our renovation. At that time, I could get the chance to meet you personally as I know that you mentioned Management issues but I never had the pleasure of meeting you. I would hope to change your opinion on us and hope that I get that opportunity to do so.

Thank you.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed on night before our cruise. Valet parking attendants were friendly and good service. Front House staff were also friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a good location, The rooms are big but dated and our room smelled of stale smoke, like it used to be a smoking room. I was under the impression all rooms were an oceanview, mmh they are but you have to satnd on your tipie toes and crank your neck. There were workers on our balcony.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

I appreciate your feedback and also everyone's patience as we finish our renovation.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

This is a very good Hotel with a very good beach that is what I like most in life, very well located the bus stop is just around the corner. The staff is very friendly, It's the second time I have been threre, they are renovating everything and the rooms are very clean. Every day we went to the beach, shopping in the evening and dinner at night, it is the right place to relax!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends