“I can't wait to go back!!!”

Ocean Manor Resort Hotel
Ranked #20 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Boston
“I can't wait to go back!!!”
Reviewed August 30, 2009

After reading the negative posts I had to ask myself where did these people stay??? I have a great experience with the 3 nights I stayed. I arrived at 10:00am (check-in is at 3:00pm) and asked for an early check-in. They explained that a room will be available in an hour because someone just checked out. I asked if I could place my bag in the room and change. I was not concerned that the room wasn't ready yet, I just wanted to get to the beach. The desk staff granted my request quickly and gave me my key. I went to the room and found the attendant already there cleaning the room. She gladly stepped out as I changed and assured me the room will be ready in a 1/2 hour. I went down to the pool area to give her time and met very friendly staff at the Tiki bar. When I returned I found the room spotless. The bathroom had plenty of towels and toilet paper. The fridge was clean although the microwave may have been missed. The bed was clean and comfortable. While I was unpacking there was a knock at the door and it was a woman and man on the staff asking if they can inspect the balcony. They were there with cleaning supplied and I explained that the balcony was perfectly clean. They appeared they wanted to be sure and gave it a quick look. After they left I looked out over the balcony (street side) and did notice some pigions and pigion droppings on the roof below. So I am guessing that can cause a problem a times but in my case it appeared they were on top of it. The common areas were somewhat old and could use a facelift but I was there for the sun not the decor. I was told the hotel restaurant was closed for renivations but I enjoyed the food and drink outside at the tiki bar as I was traveling alone and had a few area restaurants in mind that I wanted to return to. I found strange that you had to rent their chairs and not bring your own but did not affect me as I stayed pretty much poolside which was crystal clear during my stay. I wasn't exposed to the no beer/coolers policy at the pool and would understand a guest not being happy about that. The location right on the beach is fantasic compared to most on the strip are across the street. The pay parking thing would have annoyed me a bit but didn't apply to me cause I cabbed it this trip.
I got a great rate and the entire staff that I have encountered was nothing less than great. I understand that Ocean Manor is part hotel and part private condo's which may explain the inconsistancies from one room to another. I will be asking for my same room when I return so I will not divuldge the room number. As a suggestion maybe your better off dealing with the hotel staff instead of a private owner as I did which resulted in a great experience.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Montreal
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Not clean at all, no towels, not allowed chairs or umbrellas on beach, internet photos do not depict the state the condo is in, everything in the condo was broken or not working, does not sleep 8 (sofa-bed caved in), all beds in the condo not fit for people to sleep on (new mattresses needed), paid for parking (supposed to be included), bathrooms disgusting and small and not clean (didn’t want to take showers), conflict between condo owners and resort staff, condo overrated for what we paid, paid $80 more per night than our friends staying there right after we left, water leaked in the living room when it rained, air-conditioning was so excessively loud we could not sleep or had to be turned off, kitchen fans have not been cleaned in the past 20 years, no balcony. The condo is over 40 years old and a little money should be invested to give is an overhaul. We found hundreds of other places such a small motel type accommodations which were much cleaner and a lot cheaper. We rented from the condo owner and they were very deceiving and sneaky. Not so much as a credit or an apology from them. They think the conditions of the unit were acceptable. We all have different levels of acceptable. We wouldn’t recommend it to anyone!!! Overall our 10 day stay was ruined and we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta,Georgia
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My colleague and I stayed in the hotel for a month while working in Ft. Lauderdale. The company we were working for paid for the stay. We asked for towels during the stay and did not recieve any until the last day of our stay. We ended up washing our towels in the basement laundry. The door to the balcony in the living room had a broken handle and could not be locked. The balcony furniture was covered in pigeon droppings. The airconditioner in my colleagues room leaked and made a huge puddle right outside of his bathroom. The safe in the room was closed and locked and not in service. The kitchen was ok, but seemed like it needed a little more cleaning. There was no cover or bulbs in the over head light fixture in one bathroom and several light bulbs blown in the other room. I was told that if we wanted our rooms serviced during our one month stay it would cost us an additional 75.00. The valet service was ok, except they expected a tip on top of the daily valet surcharge.
The beach location was the best part of the hotel. The friendliest person in the hotel was the handy man that we met in the basement while doing laundry.
All in all the hotel is in need of a major facelift not only with the building built in 1968 but also in the staff.
The internet was available only in the lobby or by the pool. It was possible to piggy back on some other unsecured subscriber while in the room.
Never did understand why it was considered a resort. The only food available was at the coffee stand in the lobby or at the Tiki Bar and cafe. Which happened to be very busy at night but also seemed somewhat expensive. The burgers were ok though.
It is an alright place for a couple of guys during a work trip. Just make sure you go to the grocery for your own amentities such as toilet paper and such.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
michigan
Reviewed July 22, 2009

After reading previous reviews, I had my doubts about the hotel, but I was very happy with our stay. Yes they do charge for valet parking, but every other hotel there does also. Also, it is a one time charge of $7 and that is for the duration of your stay, no matter how many times you come and go, they just ask that you please tip the attendants, which I think is reasonable for curbside service. However, even if that is too much for you there is a lot directly across the street in which you can park it yourself for no charge, literally a two min walk. It is obvious that the hotel is undergoing some remodeling, but it is still fairly clean. The staff was very helpful and accomodating. We stayed in a room on a high floor with an ocean view, and even though it was a side view, it was still incredible.
I can't say enough about the location of this hotel and how beautiful the beach is. The water was so calm and clear that my 7 year old preferred the ocean and visited the pool maybe twice during our five day stay. You aren't allowed to bring your own chairs or umbrellas and you do have to pay to rent theirs, but you know I thought it was pretty reasonable...$10 for 9-5....what is that like $1.25 an hour? The gentleman that rents them is very friendly and you can negotiate a better price if you're gonna rent one a few days in a row.
We rented a car and the hotel was close to everything...lots of pharmacies, restaurants and markets nearby....7 min from los olas and downtown ft lauderdale...20 min from hollywood beacg 40 min from miami.
Overall the atmosphere of the hotel was fun and lively, but not wild. My husband, two young girls and I loved it.
Tips
tip the maid service..a little goes a long way

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank zone1971
monroe
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We have been traveling with friends for years to condominiums all over Florida and this was the worst experience. We are not complainers, but this vacation was almost ruined. We rented through a private owner so the "hotel" would not assist us with anything. The shower was broke, we had to buy our own toilet paper, we had enough towels provided for 2 days, not a week. We could not get ice from the resort, had to buy our own, couldn't take a cooler with drinks to the pool/beach, they wanted us to buy our drinks from the "tiki bar". The elevator was broken at least once a day, and the pool was filthy. They closed it down on our 3rd day there, you couldn't even see the bottom and hair was floating everyone. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank faircroft84
Cincinnati
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I've never stayed in a place where you couldn't pack a cooler and take it with you to the pool or the beach! We rented a condo from a private owner, so the hotel will not help us with anything....from ice, to wash towels, to fixing the broken shower. The pool is dirty! The water is merky and has hair floating in it. Not impressed!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank boogzie
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2009

This hotel is clean but very old. It does not have a decent lobby or restaurant. At one time, I can only assume that it was a beautiful first class hotel. Now, though, it is in serious need of a facelift. There were two people in our room, but each day we were given only one wash cloth. The towels needs replacing. They were so worn that I could not wipe myself dry without scraching myself. Would I recommend it? Yes, if you just want a place today without fringes. No, if you are looking for entertainment, classy restaurants, entertainment, etc.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple