“Nice Hotel with Hard Working Staff”

Ocean Manor Resort Hotel
Ranked #20 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
“Nice Hotel with Hard Working Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

In general, we were very happy with our experience! When we first arrived, we had a problem with the air conditioner leaking. Hotel management moved us to a remodeled room with a beautiful view! The room had granite counters, a wonderful HUGE pillowtop bed, fabulous sheets, a new flatscreen, a tile shower, and a great balcony. We loved the Bamboo Grill and Tiki Bar, the food was amazing. I didn't think it was overpriced based on other restaurants in the area. Especially the seafood. And watch out for the portion size, every plate was worth the money, and we ended up sharing most meals. The pool was cleaned every morning, and I would have to say it needed it with all the kids and sunscreen. We loved just hanging out by the pool, and service by the pool was always available.
There is no question this is an older property and needs some work. However, I could not believe the remodeling activities that were going on every day to improve the place. It was great to see staff working together to make it better for everyone. The staff was so friendly, accommodating, and hard working. I got to watch them re-thatch one of the Tiki huts, which was fun.
Overall a great experience and we will be going back! The location is only 6 blocks from Lauderdale by the Sea, close to a grocery store, bars, and shopping. We thought it was a great spot.

Room Tip: Ask to be on a floor that has been remodeled.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deadwoods

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We rented a BEAUTIFUL Condo from an owner on one of those vacation rental sites. We were absolutely delighted with the unit. The owner was thoughtful in providing a clean updated unit with bath and beach towels, a well equipped kitchen, toiletries, and a welcome package including candies and a bottle of wine.

The halls are newly carpeted and painted and it is obvious that the association is trying to upgrade the public spaces. The gardens and grounds are beautiful. The niceties end there.

The Pool is gross! It was nice the first day we were there but as it was a holiday week and there were lots of people with kids there. Each day the pool was sandier, dirtier, and scummier. By our 3rd day there I wouldn't go into it. With heavy use a pool should be shocked and vacuumed EVERY DAY!!

The beach doesn't open until 10am (as per the guy who runs the chair concession) and closes at 5pm. It costs $5 for a chair and $10 for an umbrella and there are no deals if you are staying for a week! You can sit in the sand on the other side of the rope but if you fly down you can't bring chairs and umbrella with you or you can sit on chairs by the pool for free but there are no umbrellas by the pool. They give you towels (but you have to leave a $5 deposit per towel) I've had thicker napkins....

The condo turns the water at the beach off at 5pm so good luck washing your feet before you go to your room...lots of people dragging sand into that building!

Don't get me started on the idiot who owns the Tiki bar. While most of the staff was nice some are happy to ignore you. And while I saw this guy everyday he never once said hi. This is a holiday week and there isn't a waiter/waitress on the beach or by the pool. This guys is losing a fortune by not catering to the guests staying at the Ocean Manor. Instead it's all about the local bums who come in and sit at the bar. It's no wonder it was on bar rescue. It isn't going to make it.

The place would benefit from new management but it seems the condo management is butting heads with the hotel management and the Tiki Bar owner somehow has his fingers in the mix as well. If you don't need much and are easy going I'd say this place is fine. If you expect just a FEW AMMENITIES from a place that calls itself a Resort...I'd skip this place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank NTH233
Binghamton, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Loved the tiki hut on the ocean front! Great food and atmosphere! Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Great location - within walking distance of many restaurants and shopping district. Will definately be back next year!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Parkland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Had a great experience at. Ocean Manor Hotel. Had a great time, it's located right on beach. Staff was great. Our kids loved it too. Everyone is so friendly. Made reservations at Tokyo Blue. Food was the best. Overall experience was excellent. Thanks for a great family vacation.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Chojnowski
Rehoboth, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

My room had an oceanfront view with a balcony, beautiful setting. But the bottom of the tub was peeling off, there was mold in the bathroom, and the toilet wasn't clean. The kitchen drawers, dishes, and utensils were dirty, I ate out rather than spending my time cleaning the kitchen in order to use it. The bed was as hard as a rock, with stains on the comforter and pillows. There was a door hanging off the closet. The room needed repair and a deep cleaning; sofa and chairs were stained and dirty. On a positive note, the staff was friendly. The Tiki Bar is fun and you can't beat the location. They charge a resort fee per day, but you have to pay $5 for a beach chair and $10 for an umbrella!

Room Tip: Get a renovated room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank BorderCollie04
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

I found the hotel by walking on the beach with my son.We were staying at a hotel about a block away and want to be on the beach. We walked in and the first person we saw was Renee at the front desk. She was so nice and was able to get us a room. The price was very fair. They had valet parking so we didn't have to deal with that. They have 3 elevators so not much waiting around. There is a tiki bar and restaurant on premises. The pool and beach were fantastic. I wish it was a little more sunny out. The hotel was walking distance to just about everything. I have read some of the other reviews and tried to think of something negative but can't. The manager Mike Lang went out of his way to make sure that we had a great stay even when I saw somebody having an issue he seemed to help them resolve it. He even gave me his e-mail address and phone number to stay in touch.
The first time I met George he offered me 20% off my lunch. What a nice guy! I guess we did stay there for 8 days.
We are planning to stay there again next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Jim L
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is a 60 year old condo, so it is not bright, shiny and new. That said, all the common areas were clean with staff painting and cleaning throughout my stay. Staff was helpful and during my stay (last week of March) it was very family oriented. I rented through vrbo (#264302) and I had a nice two bedroom unit with an updated kitchen. No laundry facilities but there are washer/dryers in the basement (basement is a mess) and a landrymat down the street. There is a nice sized pool and small beach, as I discovered most of the beaches along Fort Lauderdale are not very wide. The location is perfect with Lauderdale by the Sea with their shops and restaurants within walking distance. Also within easy walking distance are Walgreens, CVS, Dunkin Donuts, Publix, Wings. McDonalds and lots of other shops and restaurants. Based on the Tripadvisor reviews, I was concerned but ended up with a good stay. I spoke to other renters who felt the same. I did speak to one family who said it was hit and miss when renting directly from Ocean Manor but they also said they had stayed there multiple times, so how bad could their experience be if they keep coming back? The Tiki Bar restaurant has good, reasonably priced food, which was also a plus. For me, the price I got from the owner made it a good deal but I would not pay the prices advertised directly by Ocean Manor.

Room Tip: Go directly with an owner, Try VRBO.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family