“Lost our luggage, but staff made up for it.”

Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort
Ranked #9 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on a midway stop between our Disney cruise and Key West. First impressions...we waited in the room for one hour for our luggage. Finally, realizing our bags might not show up at the room, we called the bell desk to inform them our bags had not arrived. We got a call back 10 minutes later, informing us that they could not find our bags. Eventually, they located our bags in the room below ours. Since we had lost two hours of beach and pool time, my wife complained and they have us 100 dollars of food or bar credit. Furthermore, the nice bartender at the bar area felt bad and gave us two delicious drinks on the house. So overall, they did treat us right and were very friendly the rest of our stay. The rooms were large but average and a little dated. We had a nice beach view. The beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom was ok but there were little areas of mold between the grout joints. For the price, I think we paid too much. The beach was nice but narrow at our resort location, bit the water was clean and warm. It is a little far to central Ft Lauderdale, but either a short scenic walk or drive gets you I to the heart of it all.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank travelguy21776
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We are sorry to hear that you encountered this problem upon arriving to our resort, but we are very glad that our staff was able to address the issue immediately. Thanks for all the feedback you have provided us and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I loved the place , I enjoyed the ocean the balcony at night listening to the waves, The room I was in was a owner rental. I found the bed to be one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on when away from home. The room was nice , the location makes it hard to get parking .They valet for 28.00 a day and as long as you come prepared for a few extras you will love this place,Free beach chairs and towels. Beach staff to get your drinks is a total plus. The food and drinks are high compared to where I live but your on vacation ..Splurge a bit you worked hard . I am going back in September . The pool and lazy river, the beach at the back door .What more does a person need. I sat on the veranda in a rocking chair at night and watched for the turtles to come in and nest it was a wonderful trip.. Thanks so much to the staff and Damion for making my trip so enjoyable..

Room Tip: I don't know what side is better to stay in all I know is the balcony over looking the ocean was...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! We’re so glad you were pleased with our accommodations, beach area, dining options, and lazy river. Once again, thank you for sharing this great review with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Beautiful resort! The pool and lazy river were perfect for our kids. The beach was beautiful, with plenty of lounge chairs and no crowds. The rooms were amazing....we had a suite and it was spacious and super clean. We loved the ocean view and our little balcony. We were only there for one night, but we wished it had been for longer. It's definitely worth the price!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for sharing this great review with us! We’re so excited that you enjoyed the pool area, lazy river, beach area and accommodations. Once again, thank you for the review and we truly hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Starting with 'The Ugly' ... the hotel adheres strictly to their 4 p.m. check-in policy. Which is a pain because if your flight arrives early, you will have to find something to do all day and basically lose an entire day at the beach. Our flight arrived at 9:30 a.m. and we were at the hotel at 10:30 a.m. seeing about an early check in. They told us they would call us as soon as a room was ready. I received a call at 3:30 p.m. from the Pelican saying it would be a bit longer. Our room wasn't ready until 4:10 p.m. and we were supposed to get a room with 2 King Beds ... but they told us they didn't have any ready so they asked if it was okay to put us in a room with 2 Queen Beds instead.

Not a big deal ... but we stopped in at 10:30 a.m. and they didn't have a room ready until 4:10 p.m. knowing full well that we were waiting in the bar for all that time. They couldn't rush a room ready for us by at least noon?? Also, the check out time was 11 a.m. which was pretty strictly adhered to. We asked for a 1 p.m. checkout but they said 11:30 a.m. was as late as they could do. So basically, we picked the hotel because it was right on the beach ... but due to the late check in and early check out ... we missed the prime beach hours. I would not stay here due to this if I was only doing a one night stay. I'd only stay here if the stay was over multiple days because you are losing beach days. Not too many hotels hold tight to a 4 p.m. checkout and 11 a.m. checkout these days.

Luckily, we returned for a multiple night stay a few days later and THAT stay was PERFECT because we got a lot of beach time. They held tight to the 4 p.m. check in this time as well ... but as we were aware of this, we made other plans for the day and still had a couple days on the beach in between.

The hotel is beautiful. It features a wonderful deck overlooking the ocean. We had lunch here twice and it couldn't have been any better. Felt like a movie location. The rooms were VERY nice ... classy and updated. We got a 10th floor ocean view room with the higher ceilings, which was awesome. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in ... and I haven't experienced better air conditioning in Florida! The room was always ice cold, like we wanted.

The bathroom was small and the water pressure in the shower was blah. But the coconut bath products smelled so good and tropical! The lighting in the bathroom was great. The room couldn't have been any cleaner ... the housekeeping staff does a great job.

Unfortunately, it rained a lot during our trip ... so the pool was closed most of the time and there was nobody on the beach to give us towels. We were still hit with a resort fee, which was strange. Valet parking is a bit steep at around $30 ... especially given the hotel isn't right on the beach strip. However, the valets are good and hustle to get you your car fast. We had some friends visit for lunch and they were very helpful only charging them only $3 per car vs. $12 because they only stayed an hour.

The best part of this hotel is that it is removed from the craziness of the beach strip. It is a $10 cab ride from the 'strip' with bars and restaurants. The isolation is great because you don't get the Jersey Shore Beach crowd hanging out like you do on the strip. The downside is that beers and drinks at the Pelican do add up because the prices are a bit higher than at Beach Place. The Tri-Colada is my favorite drink ... a Pina Colada with a dark rum floater. They go down smooth and they taste tropical but during a hot day. However, the bar bill does add up. One day I went through 5 drinks at the bar which ended up being almost $100 with tips! The food at the restaurant is great ... Cuban Sandwich is my favorite. Dinner is good as well, especially on a night with a full moon when you can watch the palm trees swaying.

Overall, the Pelican is a great spot when you want to be removed from the action in Fort Lauderdale Beach. The ocean is warm and there isn't a lot of beach traffic. If not for the check-in time enforcement, which would keep me from staying here if I was only there for a night ... I'd stay here again without a doubt vs. the hotels on the strip. Unfortunately more people are finding out about the Pelican which is driving up prices and making it much more crowded.

Can't fault them for that because they have a great product! Also, the management here is very good and responsive to guests' problems. The manager, Bob is a true professional and most of the front desk staff always have a smile for you. The girls who work in the ice cream shop are so cheerful and friendly ... honestly, they deserve the award for best staff members in my book. The concierge, Enrique is great as well ... A class act for sure!

Room Tip: Dont do the owner rental. Go through hotel directly.
3  Thank LovinHotelLife
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a detailed review on Trip Advisor. We’re sorry to hear that you found our check- in policy inconvenient and we will look into the matter and see if we can resolve this for for the future. We are so pleased to hear that after check in you had a great stay with us at our beautiful hotel. Thanks again for choosing us and we hope you will do so in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stephenie, the restroom attendant/maid was extremely attentive and sensitive to our needs. (Thank you, Stephenie for your courtesies and kindness). My friends and I went to lunch at your fabulous hotel. We wanted a relaxing time together over lunch by the sea. The veranda was perfect -- relaxing, beautiful, and serving good food. The service was great. After washing my hands, I noticed that the salt scrub that I like wasn't out. I simply mentioned this and Stephenie overheard me. She got me a sample of the scrub and took me to the gift shop where I would be able to purchase it. These efforts were greatly appreciated..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to give Stephanie a gracious review on Trip Advisor. She will be very flattered to hear all of your nice comments. We also appreciate your kind words about our relaxing and beautiful veranda. We hope to see you back with us very soon!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I hate to do this..because we have LOVED this hotel in the past..but the property has just fallen apart. We booked online through the Pelican's hotel web site and got a resident's discount..$540. Yeah, we are THAT stupid, but it was my daughter's birthday and all she wanted was to "go back to the Pelican." The photos speak for themselves. The place is just not being maintained in any way. What a terrible pity, it used to be our favorite hotel. I felt sick having paid what we did..really felt like an idiot. I have NO doubt that other guests got better deals than we did...I had NO idea this hotel's own website's would rip us off that badly for booking through them directly. (Then again, when my husband poured a splash of half and half into a foam cup for my coffee at the ice cream parlor, the girl told him he would have to pay $3 for it because he used a foam cup! WHAT??) We are platinum Marriott members and would have been way better served at the Ritz or the Marriott Resort. Valet service was prompt and friendly..not so friendly: the front desk upon arrival and housekeeping. Once again, I feel so bad writing this..it's almost like ratting on an old friend, but I don't want any one else to spend this much money and come away this disappointed. (Total outlay for our 24 hour get-away incl drinks, lunch and breakfast, not incl. tips- $800) We will never return- so sad.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
20  Thank cindy c
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We apologize that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. We will pass along your feedback to management as we are always looking for ways to improve. We hope you will give us another chance so we can show your our full potential.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I went down for some R&R between Apr 26-May 2 and loved the place. The hotel was large and very clean and the staff were very helpful and kind. There were plenty of loungers on the beach - towels and set-up by the staff was complimentary although we tipped. I would highly recommend one of their burgers from the bar! We walked the beach everyday into town or for $6 got an all-day transit pass. Instead of the cab ($70) we local transit bus from Oakland St to Sawgrass for shopping which was phenominal. Would stay there again and recommend the resort to all friends and family!

Room Tip: We had street facing so the higher the better.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve F

Thanks for choosing us for your girls trip and writing us a review about it. We appreciate your kind words about our clean rooms and amazing staff members. Thanks for also sharing some advice for future guests. We can’t wait to accommodate you in the future!