Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort
$127
$147
$118
$109
Fort Lauderdale Marriott North(Fort Lauderdale)(Great Value!)
$98
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach(Fort Lauderdale)(Great Value!)
$194
$269
Marriott Hotels
$145
$159
Hotels.com
4,223 results
All reviewslazy riverrocking chairsthe ice cream shopocean frontsitting roomvalet parkingbeach staffking suiteprivate beachbeautiful resortvalet serviceresort feeper daysouth floridalas olaspelicansmitch
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Let me preface my review by saying that my husband and I have been coming to the Pelican Grand long before it was the 'Grand' and it was just several two-story block buildings set on the beautiful Ft. Lauderdale Beach. It was because of the location and service that we continued to make this hotel our home away from home for well over 20 years. We visit 1-2X a year and always come back. The location and service tradition continues on.

What's especially nice about the Pelican Grand is that it does not have a huge footprint which maintains its coziness. You feel like you are sitting in your own living room when you are in the lobby. Everyone complains about the front desk staff and yes, there are times when some of the younger staff could be more hospitable and welcoming. However, if you were ever able to have Wes wait on you, he made all the difference. Sorry to say, he has left for a new life and we wish him well.

The staff around the pool is exceptional. Nathan and Leroy at the pool can't do enough for you - my husband could not use the chaise lounges and they carried a chair to the far side of the pool just to be sure he was comfortable. Nathan and Leroy keep checking on you thoughout the day in case you need anything ... like repositioning your umbrella - truly great guys and we missed them when they had a day off. The gals who 'wait' on you too are pleasant and very accommodating.

The true jewel of the staff, however, is Earl. He's someone you don't see often, is quiet except for his wonderful friendly smile - you see, he's there when we are all sleeping washing the floors and windows, picking up the trash, etc. We knew Earl from the original Pelican Resort and we were elated to see that he is still around - kudos to the current management for keeping this exceptional employee. He's a great ambassador for the Grand. If you see him, stop and talk with him - he has a lot of tales to tell.

Beach - spectacular, well taken care of and a jewel in itself. Note they also have a Lazy River pool which is nice and warmer than the pool, but on the weekend it is filled with yelling, unruly kids and not pleasant - use during the week and you can relax. I might also add that they have a hard time keeping the main pool heated and this has been a recurring issue on several of our visits. We complain and the standard excuse is that the heater is broken and they attempt to fix it. However, it takes 24 hrs to get luke warm when it has been cold for so long (and then it is time to go home). Don't understand why it is not the pool guys job to check it every morning and if it is not as warm as it should, why can't he notify the maintenance staff and have them work on it, and not wait for a hotel guest to bring it to their attention. Afterall, they do advertise a 'heated pool' and us northerners, we want a warm pool to jump into. If I have a complaint, this is the major one.

Hotel rooms are nice and have been redone. Beds are great, but hard to move around in.

Parking valet guys - top notch, however, the fee to park is very pricey and you are at their mercy because there is no other place to park but at meters. Luckily, you can sometimes snag a package when they waive this fee.

Restaurants are nice because you get to sit on the large veranda that overlooks the beach. Hotel type food, but the scenary makes up for it. Good service.

All if all, a great place with a wonderful location. Can't beat the God-given beauty of this world. Enjoy it all.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for writing such an extensive review of our resort! We truly appreciate your feedback. We’re glad you enjoyed many aspects of your vacation, and it always pleases us to hear kind words about our wonderful staff. We would also like to thank you for the assessments that you have made about our resort as we are always looking to improve. Again, thank you for writing such a positive review and we can’t wait to see you back with us soon.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Loved this hotel! Rooms were spacious and charming. Beach was wonderful with great service. Pool and lazy river were enjoyable. Great service from Jen, Melissa, Jair and Wes. Food was delicious. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms allow for sunrise viewing. All others overlook boulevard.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent vacation with us. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our service, pool and lazy river. We are looking forward to making your next visit just as memorable!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

A major thanks to the General Manager who was kind enough to allocate a quiet room after i requested. Great job by the housekeeping team (doris and lisa) who, after i left my earphones in the room, they sent it right away to my home. Overall my stay was great, the hotel is kept in a pristine state, very clean, tidy. The staff is responsive an attentive, the property is very nice, if not the best in the area. Oh by the way i forgot to thank very much to the technical services who fixed my safe box promptly. I am looking forward my next stay. Great team!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. It’s fantastic that you had a great, relaxing vacation with us. We’re happy to hear that our housekeeping team delivered your belongings in a timely fashion! We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay and can’t wait to see you again in the future!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I had booked this over a month in advance because we both needed to get away after a stressful few months. We stayed for 5 nights. We could not have asked for better. The valet folks (Jeremiah and Victor) and the bellman (Alessandro) were extremely welcoming and helpful. We arrived earlier than check in and had to wait which we completely understood. My husband took this time to take a little nap in the beautifully appointed lobby. The front desk team (Wes and Ashley and Rodline) were so professional and yet so personable. We had a marvelous suite. It had a balcony with a breath taking view of the Atlantic. When they describe this resort as "Old Florida Charming" they are saying it as a great compliment and with the idea of luxury in mind. The décor, the cleanliness (housekeeping staff for the 7th floor were very nice and non-invasive), the comfort of the bed and the furniture were way beyond my expectations. It was quiet despite a wedding being celebrated on Saturday and Mother's Day on Sunday. The beach was a big draw for me and the pool/ lazy river was a big draw for my husband. At the beach, Leroy was a great help in setting up our area where we lazed the morning away. Jen served us drinks on the beach and was a great personality and wit. At the pool, Nathan was very attentive and made sure we found a spot and were taken care of. In the late afternoon it was a joy just to sit in the rocking chairs on the veranda and watch the ship and pelicans go by. During our five days we were lucky to meet a number of excellent servers...first in the restaurant (Katie, Isaac, Jenny and Michael) and then at the lounge (Melissa and Shannon). They all made the experience exceptional. Just a note on the food and beverage side of the experience. The restaurant features some amazing dishes, most notably, the salmon omelet, the chocolate chip pancakes, the filet, the scallops, the chorizo appetizer and the crab cake appetizer. The soups were very good as well...I could live on the conch and veg soup I had on my first day. My husband had the gazpacho every opportunity he could! In the late evening we would go to the lounge and order a dessert (the rum bread pudding!!) and a nightcap. The drinks were amazing. Hyde Park Corner and the Pelican Brief are two I seriously need to replicate...soon! The wine selection is extensive as well. I enjoyed a few glasses of those just to make sure I could write about them. (Yup, I am selfless that way.) All in all one of the most pleasant vacations / getaways my husband and I have had in a while. While there, we were already planning when we could get back in the next couple of months. That to me is the greatest compliment I can give. Nicely done Pelican Grand...keep up your high standards and you will have us as guests for life!

Room Tip: I would recommend an ocean view room 5th floor and up on the south side which is quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words! We are happy to hear that we were able to make your stay so enjoyable! Our staff will be pleased to hear how much you appreciated their service. We thank you for this wonderful review and can’t wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

More like 3.5 Stars.
Stayed at Pelican Grand for 5 nights in May.

Plus:
-Great value for Ft. Lauderdale if you book at the right time.
-Good Location. Go from your room to the beach in 4 minutes. Beach is gorgeous and well maintained. Short cab or bus ride to Las Olas (I wouldn't rent a car if you can avoid it). Only people on the beach in the area are guests of the hotel so you don't have to wear bracelets or show room key to use amenities (chairs/umbrellas, etc.).

-Staff was helpful and polite for our entire stay, especially the pool and beach attendants.
- Room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. New HDTV in our room, no HD channels however (a pet peeve of mine).
-Restaurant on site was pretty good (better for lunch, in my opinion). Prices were fair and the servers were very good.
-Small gym but sufficient (doesn't seem to get much use from guests). Great view of the ocean from the treadmills.
-Pool and lazy rivers are well maintained and heated.
-Best Wi-FI I've had in a hotel. Even works on the beach (albeit not at strong).
$15 resort fee is fair for the Wi-Fi, beach chairs, umbrellas and towels. Wish it included a newspaper as well.

Cons:
-Not all rooms have balconies. We booked our room through expedia and just assumed that it would have a balcony, regardless of the view. While our room was nice, our section only had windows looking out on the water, but no balcony. This wasn't the fault of the hotel by any means, but it should be noted if you're booking and care about having one (we did) to confirm your room includes one.

- During the last 2 days of our trip, a film crew was shooting a Spanish soap opera in the hotel, including on the pool area, beach and lobby. This would've been fine, however, no notice was made to the guests about the shooting, verbally or otherwise. This was a pain, especially for the guests on the beach who were being used as extras for shots. At one point the director even yelled at a guest on the loud speaker to stop looking at the camera, as if he was an actor on set. No one from the hotel was present to help manage this, and when we talked to the front desk about this, there was no apology given, only that they were shooting over two days to accommodate guests?! The crew proceeded to take up the lobby for the rest of the afternoon and a large part of the second day, which was annoying to say the least. It was clear that no one was from the hotel was really in charge of managing the guests around this shoot and instead it was as if the guests were inconveniencing the film crew by using the hotel. This was simply a reflection of poor management from the hotel side and unacceptable at any hotel, especially one that is trying to position themselves as "higher end". This is also my main reason for the lower overall score.

-We had one small issue where the parking attendant tried to put us in an airport van to Las Olas instead of a normal taxi that we asked for. When the van driver said it would be $15, we said we'd prefer a cab which would only be $8-10, but the attendant insistent we take the van. We ended up just hailing one on the street which was fine, just an annoying exchange to get a simple cab.

-No tea in the room and the coffee is the worst I've had in a hotel. It's clear they want you to buy your coffee/tea in the ice cream parlor and not make it in the room, which just seems cheap.
-Cheap bathroom products and does not include sunscreen.

Few tips:
-Keep cash handy for cabs. You can use credit card but the drivers much prefer cash and will make you aware of it.
-The $13 coffee mug is a good deal if you're staying multiple days and like coffee. If you prefer making coffee in your room, bringing your own coffee and use the water from the gym since it's filtered (the water from the tap isn't great).
-Bring a water bottle or two. The hotel has fruit-infused water at the hotel, pool and beach.
-Bring your own sunscreen or buy it at CVS/Walgreens if possible. The hotel charges a premium for sunscreen ($18 for a normal size bottle).
If you need to go to CVS/Publix - I suggest the one by Galleria Mall. $6 cab ride (or take the bus) and it's cheaper than the 24hr one on Las Olas.
-Pizza Rustica has good pizza, low prices and fast delivery.

Overall: I'd recommend this hotel if you can get a good deal. If you're spending a lot to stay here and have other options, I'd probably have to think harder about it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Eric S
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you so much for providing us with such a detailed review! We’re glad you enjoyed your stay overall and we appreciate all of your feedback. We’re sorry that you were not given notice of the filming on our grounds and we have made management aware of your overall concerns. We hope you will consider staying with us again!