“Love this place - best mojitos ever!”

Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort
Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Ottawa, Canada
“Love this place - best mojitos ever!”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We have stayed twice at this resort prior to embarking on a cruise out of Port Everglades. We stayed in an oceanfront suite with two queen size beds and a separate living room with pull-out sofa. You are truly oceanfront with a private beach area. The pool and lazy river are excellent - nice and warm and we could float around the lazy river all day. There is food and beverage service at the pool and beach. Our meals were wonderful and we had the best server (originally from Brazil). He always remembered our favourites. This resort has the most magnificent porch - you can sit and watch the sunrise with a coffee or enjoy the evening breeze. The restaurant and bar is fantastic and you can't beat the lemon lime water and freshly baked cookies in the afternoon in the lobby area. The bar staff made my daughter wonderful non-alcoholic beverages! They were so tasty - I started ordering them by the pool. There is a complimentary internet room off of the lobby. Our children enjoyed the old fashioned ice cream store where you can purchase sundries and things you forgot to pack. We love it here and look forward to our next trip...we didn't want to leave for our cruise...now that says something!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2011
Dear fortitudeX4,

Thank you for your terrific comments about your stay here at the Pelican Grand. I know I speak for our entire team when I say how pleased we are that you enjoyed your stay. It is always gratifying to hear our repeat guests give such glowing remarks.
All I can say is we are looking forward to your next visit.

Bob Keesler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,051)
  • Finnish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I traveled to Fort Lauderdale the second week of march and loved my stay at the pelican grand. All of the staff was very friendly and eager to assist you. They had a gift shop that sold food and ice cream at a reasonable price although the restaurant was a little overpriced. They also have the only lazy river in fort lauderdale and it was great. The beach was very nice and they would set out your chairs and towels for you. One downside is that it's about a mile and a half away from the main strip so it's a decent walk. There are also not really any shops or restaurants near the hotel, so it can be tricky if you do not have a car. Overall I would recommend this hotel and stay here again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank TrAvELer001_8
Dear TrAvELer001_8

Thank you for taking the time to recount your stay here at the Pelican Grand. We are glad that you found our little slice of paradise on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. Our entire team is very happy to hear how you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are a bit beyond the public beaches and the other hotels that are across the street from the ocean but feel this position gives our boutique hotel its special place, while still only being a short cab ride to the rest of the action on the beach. We do look forward to your return and again thank you for your comments.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Honestly, as close to perfect as one can reasonably expect.
I've always looked down on "Florida" as a destination for seniors and college kids, not a seasoned traveller. Well, turns out I was right...and wrong.
Ft .Laud has more than its fair share of dawdling FOPs and binge drinking students, but it is way more than just those two demographics, and the PGB is the perfect place to see the 3rd side of Ft.Laud.
First and foremost PGB is a beach resort, catering to those looking for an above average hotel, on the beach, but out of the spring break fray, or snowbird trailer park/condo crowd.
And they do it well, very well.
PGB is a well run facility, with exceptional service in all areas, and done with a nice touch of class. Add to this the outstanding beach access, free loungers and umbrellas, and swimming facilities, and you have yourself a perfect location for a family vacation able to satisfy the needs of all ages, without catering too heavily to any one, at the expense of the others.
The room (I had a IntraCoastal, with balcony) was very nice. The bed (King) was comfortable - although a bit too high off of the ground - and the microwave and mini fridge were a treat to have available for left-overs (Americans love their big portions!) and cold beer.
My balcony was (IMO) better than an oceanview, as it provided sun in the afternoon, after the beach was in shadow behind the hotel (@3:30). Add to this the enjoyment of watching life go by after a full day on the beach, while the sun sets...very nice.
There was some road noise from A1A, but nothing dramatic, certainly not NYC'ish.
We did eat - on the beach - once, and the service, along with the food, was top notch. Imagine ordering, eating, and paying, all from the comfort of your lounger, while enjoying the surf and sun of a private beach...the cost? Who cares! (but if you must know, 2 alcoholic drinks, smoked salmon wrap w/fruit, 8oz burger w/fries, $55.00 USD incl. tip)
If I had to critique, it would be about ;
1. The business centre. Only 3 computers, and the ISP was slooooooooow. But, the hotel did offer free wireless, but I travel light, no laptop or PDA, so was left josting for a terminal.
2. The elevators. Only 2 (with one other available service elevator), which made for some long waits to get from the 8th to the lobby, with many stops along the way.
But, nothing is perfect, so don't read too much into the criticisms.
The highlights?
Service. This hotel tries, and it shows.
The Brazilian Brothers (Alex and...Alex, seriously!) are the stars of the show, and basically seem to run the place. Have a question, a need, or just want to chat, go see an Alex, either of them. Great guys, quick with a smile or a helping hand, they are this hotels most important first, and last, impression.
The beach guys, sorry, cannot recall your names. These guys earn their pay, and then some. Part information service, part grounds keepers, part hosts, part waiters, part umbrella/lounge/towelwallas. Again, prompt service, ready smiles, and eager to please.
Lastly, the ghost service providers, namely the front desk, cleaning services and valet services. All of these are rather behind the scenes, but each are professional, efficient and friendly.
This is a hotel charging near top dollar, and some might look at the nightly rate and expect near world class results, but, considering the size of this facility, this is simply not going to happen. Instead what you get is an exceptional location, very comfortable rooms, a touch of class, and world class service. Sure it's not the Four Seasons Hualalai, but it is the Pelican Grand Beach Resort, and that is something for their staff to be proud of, and their guests to enjoy.

2 Thank Sorefeettoproveit
Dear Sorefeettoproveit,

Thank you for your wonderful comments and sharing them with the Trip Advisor community. I know I speak for our entire team when I say we are happy you found our little slice of paradise on Ft. Lauderdale beach. Hopefully we changed your mind about South Florida. You were kind to point out several of our outstanding team members that made your stay special.
I do hope the next time you are on your way down from Canada you will stay with us again.

Sincerely
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed March 16, 2011

This was a pretty good experience for our first family vacation to the beach. Upon arrival to the hotel we were greeted by Alex who loaded all of our luggage onto a cart to be taken to our room. Our room was not ready so we spent time checking out the hotel, pool, and beach. About 2 hours. I would recommend having suits ready if you have small children who are ready to get into the pool upon arrival- I noticed others during our stay who were waiting for check in. The hotel is beautiful and the pool, beach, and veranda are all very well kept. All staff was very friendly. Alex was superb and we enjoyed seeing him during our stay.
The room we had opened onto a shared balcony that was great to have breakfast or lunch overlooking the beach. I did request early cleaning of our room due to nap time for a 1 and 2 year old. After the 4th request, on the third day the room was cleaned early. The buffet on Sunday is wonderful. I would like to point out about reservations for the buffet. I went down early to put our name on the list and the hostess said we were first on the list which sounded great! No- they state that they start seating for brunch at 11- apparently they have 2 list they are working off of... we were not seated until 1125. Had I known it would be so unorganized I would have chosen to go elsewhere for a nice breakfast where my children did not have to wait. The food was very good if you have time and no children along. The pool was very nice and so was the beach. The concierge service also left a lot to be desired. They were not very good about input for dinner ideas or area parks. There is a very nice neighborhood park on Bayview that was within a 10 minute drive that I found with the help of a local mother.
All in all our vacation was very nice. The room was very clean, the cribs and suite worked great for a family of 4. The location directly on the beach was very convenient.
Upon check out I asked the desk who I could address some concerns with and the gentleman told me to write it on the comment card in the room.... I would have liked to talk to a person.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear BienO12,

Thanks for your comments on the Trip Advisor website. I do want to apologize that it took you four attempts to get your room serviced at the requested time. I am however glad that we finally got it right and that overall you enjoyed your stay. I do thank you for your suggestions and want you to know that we take these very seriously in our effort to continuously improve our service. We just upgraded all of our radios among our team and this should allow for much better communication and quicker responses for special requests.
Again, thank you for your comments

New Jersey
Reviewed March 15, 2011

From the moment my 20 year old daughter and I stepped foot on the property for our mommy/daughter 4 day get away we loved it! Our bags were whisked away as soon as we arrived by car service. Be advised, parking is $24 a day. We didn't rent a car and took their in house car service around. If I remember correctly, C&G Transport is their name. They are about the same price as a taxi ($30 from airport; $15 to Las Olas; $10 to Ft Lauderdale strip A1A). We called downstairs ahead and they arranged for the car to pick us up. It was always ready for us when we went downstairs.

We stayed in an oceanfront queen suite on the 3rd floor and it was very large and comfortable. We were a bit worried at first because our room was next to the elevator but we had no need to worry! It was quiet even with my daughter sleeping until 11 am!

I loved the beds, very comfortable, and they give you a few choices of pillows. Our ethernet cable was frayed so we called the front desk and within 5 minutes a friendly face was at our door with a new cable. He wouldn't even accept a tip since he said it was "their fault"! The entire hotel, including our room, was well kept and clean.

I felt the prices of food and drinks was comparable to any other 4 star resort.
If you are traveling with very young children or older (as I was) the pool area and lazy river are more than sufficient. I could see a 5- 15 year old getting bored at the pool. BUT... there is always the beach! It is well kept and chairs and umbrellas are provided (other hotels int he area charge for them). There is ample room to have a frisbee or football catch and when we were there, there were some knarly waves! Lots of boogie boarders and surfers in the water.

Everyday, at every turn we were greeted with a "hello" or "good morning" by the staff. They make it their top priority to make you feel welcome. We will absolutely return!!

1 Thank Daisydoots
Dear Daisydoots,

Thank you for your warm comments about your recent stay and taking the time to share with the Trip Advisor community. I know our team will enjoy reading your comments and we are all looking forward to your next trip to FLL.

Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed March 13, 2011

This hotel was great. Very clean. Good food. Great bar. We were originally next door at the Sun Tower Hotel and it had roaches, so we came here. Needless to say we were very glad for its close proximity. Would definitely stay here again. All staff was very friendly.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear Kevin-GoBears,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our little boutique hotel to your liking. We hope when ever your plans call for coming back this way you will once again consider our hotel.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Beautiful room, great view, helpful staff, great location and love dining on the wrap-around porch. Only negative is there are not enough computers in the business center only 2 working and always someone on them.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear pamperedPennsylvania,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Your comments were very kind, especially how helpful our team members were during your stay. We are happy to report that while we had a problem with one of our computers in the business center during your stay they are now all back up and working.
Again, thank you for your review.