“Nice hotel - unsurfable free Wifi”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Stavanger, Norway
“Nice hotel - unsurfable free Wifi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

The hotel entrance was beautiful and clean. Front desk staff were friendly, but the person who answered the phone when I called room service was very short. We were upgraded to a suite with good views towards the sea approx 500m away. All in all a nice stay apart from the poor free wifi (at times it wouldn't load a page at all) and a significant amount of dust from the ventilation system that had gathered on the ceiling above the bed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hatrovizor
ilLuganoHotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Dear Hatrovizor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on our property, we are planning amazing new changes for the future. Please come back and experience the even greater us in the future.

Thank you, Seth M. Berkeley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Turkish first
Clermont, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

After extensive research, I choose the Il Lugano because of the rave reviews and also because this hotel received the 2014 certificate of excellence. We needed a hotel that had a kitchenette (due to our small children).

We had to change rooms on the second night due to an issue with our bathroom. I went to the front desk to explain the issue. The lady behind the counter apologized for the inconvenience and said that if we wanted to change rooms we should let her know and she reassured me when we got back a room would be available. I spoke to my husband and we decided to change rooms. I called her in less than 10 minutes. She had absolutely no idea who I was and said that she did not speak to me. I asked her if she has been the only one at the desk and she said yes. I was a little confused on why she did not know who I was. She then proceeded to tell me that there were no available rooms. I insisted that she told me that a room would be available. She placed me on hold 2 times and then finally told me that we would be placed on the 9th floor. What a headache!

Please take note that the ocean view rooms are not actually “ocean view”. You can see the ocean in a far distance but you will see parking lots and buildings before you see the ocean. Also, parking is horrible! They offer valet parking at $28.00 per night. If you do not want to use valet, then you have the option of using the parking spaces or parking lot across the street. The issue with this is that they have parking meters and you can only reserve 3 hours at a time. There is no charge for the meters from 12am-8am. The meter attendants are always out there, even on the weekends so do not allow your meter to expire or you will get a ticket.
We did not dine in their restaurant because they did not offer anything we wanted. The pool area is okay. The pool itself is not very big; however, the décor is nice.

I don’t think this hotel meets the category of “luxury”. There are no room service or bar areas only the restaurant (with limited options).

Overall, our stay wasn’t bad (once our rooms were changed).

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Traveler,

Thank you for staying with us as we grow into an even greater property, our new company has such great plans for our future and we are so excited.

Thank you, Seth M. Berkeley
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

As others have written, the hotel is under new ownership and it's unclear how it will be repositioned. The lobby bar has closed since our last visit in December 2011 and Del Campo, formerly a high end Italian restaurant, now has a casual menu. That said the food was very good as was Kristin, our server/bartender. I understand the restaurant will be rebranded. Our suite, overlooking the intercostal waterway was very nice and well kept. The hotel has been part of the Preferred network of luxury hotels but the new owners have a portfolio principally made up of lower priced Hilton and Marriott brands. I don't know if Il Lugano will continue to be marketed as an upscale boutique hotel and I wouldn't book here again until I saw how this all works out and what amenities will remain.   At the moment the room rate seems high for what you get. If Trip Advisor would let me, I'd give an "incomplete."

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TouringLawyer
Dear Touring Lawyer,

We have amazing plans for the future with such a powerful new company. Please come back and experience the even greater us in the future.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

Simply put, the Il Lugano hotel is incredible. I believe I read from other comments on here that while this is a hotel, it is technically privately owned apartments that serve as hotel rooms. Seeing our room, this made sense.

To start, the check-in process was a little slow. There is a small desk that only had two agents, and I was about fourth in line, so I had to wait about 10 minutes before I could talk to one of them. Once I got to the desk, check-in was painless. The agent gave me the info on my room, told me my parking options, and made sure I didn't need anything else before sending me on my way. There is parking outside in a parking lot with meters that don't charge after midnight. Rather than fuss with feeding the meter until midnight, I chose valet parking for $15.

Getting to the room, I found myself in a small apartment (small by apartment standards, but enormous by hotel room standards). It included a full kitchen, laundry closet, living room, bedroom, bathroom, and a huge balcony.

The bathroom included all the amenities we needed, including a magnifying makeup mirror. The shower was of the smaller bathtub type, but clean and served its purpose. The bedroom had a king size bed and a sliding door that led directly to the balcony. Facing the bed was a small flat screen TV.

The living room had a larger flat screen TV, and both TVs had full DirecTV access. This room had two cushioned chairs, and a love seat, along with a small table and four chairs by the kitchen.

The balcony was almost as big as the apartment. It included two cushioned rattan chairs, a table with four cushioned rattan chairs, two cushioned loungers, and an uncushioned rattan loveseat. The balcony offered spectacular views of the intra-coastal waterway, and all the beautiful houses and yachts that lined it.

The hotel was a short drive from the center of Ft. Lauderdale, and within walking distance of several shops and restaurants. This was one of the better hotel stays I've ever had. The room, view, and location were amazing. I will certainly return again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank lancerevo13
Dear Lancerevo,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share such wonderful thoughts on our beautiful property. We hope to see you soon.

The best to you,

Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

This place put a total damper on the end of my wedding cruise vacation. It doesn't matter where I vacation, I will usually only book a Marriott property. It was between this hotel and the Ritz Carlton, but the reviews on Tripadvisor piqued my interest and I decided to venture out and use Il Lugano as our post cruise stay. Worst decision ever.

It's not close to the beach and the pool was tiny, but no worries though. I was thinking that we just got off a cruise ship jam packed with people, being far from the beach and a tiny pool, in off season would mean a less than crowded hotel. The rooms are beautiful, but when you book a "luxury" hotel, the room is not the only thing you look for in a great hotel. What type of luxury hotel has a limited option breakfast buffet, no lunch, no lobby bar and no room service?

We're on vacation, we don't want to have to leave the hotel to have lunch. We want to be able to enjoy drinks by the pool, but we couldn't (no open restaurant during lunch and no lobby bar = no drinks by the pool).

They drastically changed the dinner menu in their restaurant (I was looking forward to the fresh mozzarella). I was told that they had changed management 3 or 4 days prior and wanted to revamp the menu....that's fine, but ensure that you update your website as well because during my stay I was able to pull up their site and the old menu and everything that I was looking for was on it.

Also, I think that it may be time to update their FAQs Q: Is there a restaurant in the hotel?
A: Yes! Da Campo Osteria. The restaurant services Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and in-room dining.

The hotel staff tried to be very accommodating, but you could tell there was something broken in their spirits. I am a people leader and I have been through a reorg before, and I have seen that look of despair in people's faces. The new owners may want to do something fast before they have a mass exodus on their hands.

Whatever the new owners are trying to do, stop it, you are supposed to change things for the better and not try to run something that before August from all the positive reviews seemed to be doing quite well. You may be trying to save money, but it may be at the cost of losing patronage.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank FDBroadstreet
ilLuganoHotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear Valued Traveler,

I must first apologize for your experience here at Il Lugano. The hotel was sold but the incredible new ownership is looking to make this property a more comfortable, refined and warm location for all travelers. We have the same management, servers, bartenders and even chefs. Our incredible chefs are the one creating our lighter California flair menu, with only great things to come. We are all looking forward to these fabulous changes and we certainly hope that you come back and experience the even greater us in the future.

The best to you and yours!!!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014

If you look at most of the high reviews from this hotel, most seem to be from locals having a staycation or from long ago. BELIVE ALL THE RECENT REVIEWS from the last two months. There was a management change, and things are now much different than described here or on the website.

I was returning from a long work trip abroad in South America and had a night layover in Fort Lauderdale. I wanted to splurge on a luxurious hotel, with lots of amenities, order room service, champagne, take a long hot bath before having an amazing dinner. Instead of traveling to Miami, I thought I could do all of that while staying within in Ft Lauderdale at the IL Lugano and get to the FLL airport quickly. I was wrong about this being a luxury hotel. It seems more like a higher end vacation time share condo. Clearly, if that is what you are looking for, this place could be great. However, I would recommend the new management change their marketing material to be in line with that and what seems to be their new vision for the hotel.

The staff is friendly and the hotel is beautifully decorated. Although, there are scarcities that give me the impression the hotel is doing poorly. There is hardly any staff there. All the ones that are there seem over worked and stressed. Do not get me wrong, they were all superb at their jobs and had great costumer service. It was just this underlying feeling followed by over hearing chatter.

The bar in the lobby is permanently closed as is one of the elevators. They do not offer room service! I am positive this is to funnel all the guests to go to the over hyped in house restaurant which has turned into nothing more than a poor version of Houston's.

I will start by reviewing the positives.

The rooms are huge. They have a couch, lots of living space, a plush bed, a full kitchen, nice balcony and, large beautiful bathroom. I have lived in smaller apartments. They also allow pets! The rooms are really built for long term vacationers. Like I said before, they staff that is there, are very friendly and professional. The view from the restaurant onto the water way is lovely.

The negatives.
It is farther from the airport than I even expected, 40 minutes.. Originally, I had planned to give up some convenience to the airport because it is very near to target and other great shopping and I desperately needed to go after my trip. I was thinking I could get a lift in the their luxury Escalade that is advertised on their website. Disappointingly, that is no longer offered.

After, I found that out, I went to my room and decided I could order room service, take a nice hot shower, wind down with some champagne and appetizers before going to enjoy cocktails and dinner downstairs. I was shocked to find out that they do not offer room service. It seems so odd to me considering they are one of the highest rated hotels in Ft Lauderdale. Most hotels I have been to offer room service. Again, I believe this is for several reasons. The first being this is to funnel guests to their restaurant. Secondly, they are severely understaffed and could not accommodate that. Mostly though, they rebranding to be more like time share vacation condo rentals not a high end hotel.

I was ravenous after my long trip back to the states and schlepped my way to the restaurant with out a shower because I could not wait to eat any longer. After reading all the reviews, I had high hopes for this place! As soon as I got the menu, I knew this would not be the meal I had hoped to have had. This most be why the menu is not actually posted on their website (which is completely outdated and littered with misinformation about the hotel).

The wine list is sparse. The "champagne" section does not even include an actual champagne. In fact, they were out of everything except Chandon. All the cocktails are what I can only describe as fish bowl drinks. The food items consist of large TGIF salads for starters and shrimp quesadillas and paninis for entrees.

Either this place has completely changed or Florida diners are complete hayseeds. I am inclined to think the former is true considering I overheard some regulars sitting at the bar complaining to the bartender about the menu change and the stale bread. After sometime of trying to appease their questions, she reluctantly admitted 40 employees were let go that week. There were only four people working in the kitchen and everyone was doing the best they could with the new menu and overall changes.

The food I got was not terrible. I was full and did have a nice glass of red wine but this place is not fine dining in anyway. Do not believe the reviews earlier than August 2014 or their website.

If you are looking for a luxury condo to stay at in Fort Lauderdale for a week with your family or pets, this is the place for you. If you are hoping for a fine hotel experience, go somewhere else like The Betsy in Miami.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Clare F
ilLuganoHotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear Valued Traveler,

The best to you and yours!!!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

Il lugano was way more then xpected. The suite was magnificent along with the staff. Some how we got upgraded to the top floor and got free breakfast, for our entire stay, to boot. Plus our romantic meal at, da Campo Osteria, was beyond limits...and Chef Raymond was nice enough to come out to greet us, a sincere meet not one of them phony ones.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Willie R
ilLuganoHotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Willie R,

We are so happy that you were so pleased with all the great enhancements so badly needed, we look forward to having as our guest again very soon.

The best to you and yours,