“A definite must stay...”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“A definite must stay...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Great staff and great amenities. Definitely worthy of the 4star rating, unlike other "4star" hotels.

Tips:
- Upgrade to the intercostal view
- When parking, park at the meters right outside the hotel and set up the pay by phone option. That way at 8am you don't have to physically walk to the meter to put coins in. Tickets are promptly issued at 8am so be aware.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Turkish first
Lompoc, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed every minute of our stay. We stayed three nights prior to our cruise. The suite we had was beautiful and huge. The suite had a view of both the ocean and the intracoastal. The staff was helpful and responsive. We enjoyed the pool and the cabanas along the intracoastal. We walked over to a couple of restaurants for dinner and took the water taxi to see the beautiful homes and boats. Throughly enjoyed our rest and relaxation at the II Lugano. I had booked the Jr Suite Intracoastal for a great price and think we were upgraded which was a pleasant surprise. We definitely would stay again.

Room Tip: The intracoastal view is beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

We booked a room for a long weekend in February. This place oozes understated elegance, and offers upscale amenities and an extremely competent staff in a great location Having lived in Fort Lauderdale, we preferred to be away from the strip (crowds/noise). We had an ocean view room (and yes, there are rooftops but really - how much time are you going to sit staring at the ocean? Walk to it!!)
The location of this place is great: near top notch restaurants (including the one in the hotel), it sits on the intercoastal and is a short walk to the beach. Also, there's a neat little blues bar right across the street... or ask the staff for other recommendations - they are helpful. We would come back here... really sweet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clandisfire
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband surprised me and took me on a 'stay-cation' to Il Lugano for our first anniversary! We live locally in Fort Lauderdale and try to do a stay-cation every few months, so we are familiar with several Fort Lauderdale hotels.
Il Lugano was amazing and one of my favorites...the hotel is beautiful and has a very classy/modern feel. It is on the inter-coastal which provides you with an amazing view (much different than an ocean view). My hubby and I sat on our balcony all morning watching boats, people and the liveliness of the inter-coastal water way...it was awesome!
Our room was amazing....and clean!!!!
The restaurant down stairs was delicious and had a great view of the water. Robert, our waiter, was wonderful. Later that evening we were sitting on the dock enjoying the sunset when the restaurant manager brought us out 4 complimentary beers to enjoy! What a nice treat!
The real surprise came when we went back to our room that night and my husband surprised me with rose pedals and floating candles all over our suite! BUT he could not have done all of that without Marianne, from the front desk! He provided the supplies and she put it all together and made everything look so beautiful!!! And they accomplished the biggest task...keeping it a secret from me!
The staff was so kind and welcoming including Anthony, Robert and especially Marianne!
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank leannamorris
ilLuganoHotel, Executive Assistant at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
On behalf of Marianne, Robert, Anthony, and the rest of the il Lugano team, we sincerely thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We are extremely happy to know you had an unforgettable experience here. That is what vacations are all about; making memorable moments. It truly puts a smile on all of our faces reading comments like this! So again, we thank you, and look forward to welcoming you back for your next “stay-cation”!

Best Regards,

Carly Golden
Executive Assistant
il Lugano Hotel
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was very impressed with this hotel as it is a Preferred Property. I have stayed it's sister properties (The Omphoy and The Peabody). This was by far the superior property as the staff is extremely professional, helpful and friendly.
My experience at the front desk was smooth and the room was beautiful! Extremely clean and spacious. The room has everything that you would need during your stay. We had a Jr. Suite, I can not even imagine how big the Full Suites must be. The Balcony could sit 4 comfortably and had a nice view of the ocean from the 10th floor.
We have to recommend a visit to the lobby bar where from 4-7pm have Happy Hour and they play live music on Saturdays from 7-10 pm. We must insist on staying for some time with Lindsey at the bar as she is the best bartender I have ever encountered in all of my travels. Not only is she friendly, but is a wonderful mixologist. She recommended some of the most beautiful and well balanced appetizers...You must try the Goat Cheese Croquettes and the Bacon wrapped Dates. I would describe them only as a symphony of flavors for your mouth! YUM!!!!
We also would recommend the restaurant de Campo. We ordered the fresh pulled Mozzarella platter where they prepare it table side for you to watch as they make the cheese in front of you. It was simply amazing!
I can not say enough about the wonderful time that we spent here and plan on returning often in the future. If you do not want the hectic scene of the strip in Fort Lauderdale this is a wonderful serene hotel just off the beaten path, but directly on the intercoastal waterway.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank A K
Virginia Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Il Lugano Hotel is just as described in other reviews here- a chic, spacious, friendly hotel featuring exquisite views of the intercoastal waterway. The lobby is modern, clean, and smells incredibly good. The front desk staff are attentive and quite friendly, and the concierge will go out of her way to make sure you are satisfied with your stay. We reserved the smallest room- the deluxe studio, and it was actually quite spacious. The four of us, including our baby and 6 year-old son, did not feel cramped at all. The room was extremely clean- I checked as I always do immediately upon entering and even though I didn't have a black light, I could tell the room had been scrubbed efficiently by a thorough housekeeping unit. There were some minor flaws. The double beds were somewhat short. I'm 6'4" tall, and my feet were almost dangling off the ends of the bed once I was under the covers. Also, the sheets were not exactly the highest thread-count I've felt against my skin (I would approximate about 200-300 tc). Usually, I wouldn't nitpick such a minor detail, but I have stayed at many other boutique hotels at lower prices featuring more comfortable sheets. That being said, the mattress was soft and the pillows were supple so it wasn't a big deal. The ceiling fan in our room was on the fritz. You would turn off the light feature and keep the fan running, but it would only stay that way for about 15 minutes before the light would spontaneously turn on again. That was really annoying because we wanted to keep the windows to the balcony open but there wasn't a sufficient breeze, so we had to settle for air conditioning (which was nice and quiet). Breakfast (room service) the next morning was decent and not overpriced - exactly what you might expect from a typical room service operation at a nice hotel. We didn't eat at the restaurant besides that.
On our second night, I almost died. I was ascending alone to the 7th floor on the elevator, when all of a sudden I was weightless, and a second later I fell with a thud onto the floor. I must have fallen 5-6 feet. The P.A. system in the elevator then issued the following statement- "Please excuse us. This elevator is experiencing technical difficulties." ...Ya think??? I cowered down to the floor and gripped the railing, fully expecting to fall 100 feet to my death. About 90 seconds later, the doors opened and I flew out. I immediately called the front desk and told them what had happened, and then I warned a couple who was about to board the elevator to stay off at all costs. The next morning, the elevator was still operating, which confused me quite a bit. Also, I don't think the girl at the front desk from the night before whom I had spoken with had fully realized what a traumatizing situation I had been through. No one had called me to check to see how I was feeling or if I had been injured or anything. I followed up with the concierge and she assured me she would have the elevator double-checked (it turns out they had an Otis technician come the night before, after my initial complaint). Anyway, due to the lack of communication and followup, I was pretty upset- not because I had gotten injured (I had a slightly sore back), or because they didn't ask if I was ok, but because there were no measures taken to assure me that the elevator was safe for the other guests. If I had been a senior citizen, I could have easily broken a hip or worse; Il Lugano is lucky I'm not the litigious type. So, normally this type of experience would have knocked my star rating down to one star, but the manager of the hotel, when I called several days later to follow up, offered me a complementary night's stay and a sincere apology. Most importantly, she assured me that the elevator was completely recalibrated and that it would (hopefully) not happen to any guests in the future. That's all I wanted, and therefore I'm willing to forget the elevator issue, despite my terrifying brush with death.
Overall, if you are more interested in staying at a nice, friendly, modern, clean hotel away from the noise of the tourist strip (and are shorter than 6"2") this is the perfect hotel for you. The rooms are vast and the scenery is spectacular. The management is attentive and the vibe is relaxed and pleasant. For that reason, I will probably return to Il Lugano someday.

Room Tip: Park across the street at the meters (8am - 6pm- one quarter per half hour) and save yourself the $3...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BMcCormick
ilLuganoHotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to prepare and share your detailed experience here at the fabulous Il Lugano Hotel. As you and I discussed on the telephone, safety is our number one priority - both for our guests and our staff and I want to reassure you again, that we take every precaution to ensure everyone is safe and secure. Our Engineering Department alerted our Elevator company and they were very responsive to our call for assistance and were on property within a very short time.

It is great to read your comments on our staff - we are all very proud of our hotel and the team does an outstanding job providing great guest service!. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our team. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Fort Lauderdale area again in the near future and thank you once again for your review. Best regards Amanda Hawkins-Vogel / General Manager.
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked here through Hotwire and received an amazing room with beautiful views on the balcony that spanned the bedroom and main living space. This is a boutique hotel with a small but lovely lobby on the intercoastal. The only downside for a sun-lover is that the pool is for the most part, shaded most of the day. In the summer, this is probably wonderful, but coming from the midwest on vacation, prefer to have the warm sun while at the pool. We had to return due to a cancelled flight and we received the same rate when we called to request a room. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family