Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Chicago, Illinois
“Worth the ride”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with very friendly staff--the two Jocelyns and the wait staff. I was there just for one day before going on a cruise. The lobby is elegant and modern. The back of the hotel is the intercoastal waterway where you can sit outside and look at the mansions on the other side or watch the sun set, which I did. I had an ocean view room which I could see from my veranda on the 7th floor. The room is spacious including the bathroom. I walked to Walgreen's for some sundry items and passed several wine bars and boutiques on the way. I noticed the Greek restaurant when I was leaving so I didn't have dinner there. I'm not a foodie and rarely eat at a hotel because of the higher prices so I can't comment on the hotel's restaurant. I did have some barbeque wings that night which were adequate but not stellar. I definitely recommend this hotel and I will stay there again whenever I go to Ft. Lauderdale. The only minus is that it is far from the airport and if you're traveling alone, the cost of the taxi is high. But it was my vacation so I just counted it into my cost for luxury. Considering the excellent rate for the room, the taxi ride wasn't a deal breaker.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Turkish first
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Had 4 nights here and with the exception of the last 300 yards drive to the hotel it would be difficult to be critical of this place. The decor, quality of furnishings and the views on the inter-coastal side are excellent and the staff were equally good! We find eating in Florida is generally a trial ie excess quantities of bland tasting food, but were very pleasantly surprised by the Italian restaurant attached to the hotel - the Billy Connelly lookalike ( from Obidos near Lisbon in Portugal) knew his stuff, was very pleasant and the bottle of Douro we had was smooth and fruity! You also have a view of the chefs at work and the dishes they served for us were great! Tip - take the water taxi to get an overview of Fort Lauderdale!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank TShYorks
ilLuganoHotel, Assistant Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
On behalf of il Lugano and da Campo staff thank you for your wonderful feedback. It is nice to know you enjoyed the view of our Chefs at work while dinning at our restaurant and are glad you were able to enjoy the food as well. We hope to have you as our returning guest in the near future.

Drayton Valley, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Quietly set back from the Main Street . Ocean view not only water but 3 blocks of shops and streets to watch. Which is good! On the other side is the intercostal side with a canal of water ,which on the days we stayed ther was a boats per hour average. The room was 721 , which was a great room with a little of both views but straight out was an air conditioner unit on the next building roof . So get higher , we looked at 1011 which had a better view and deck but it was raining on it and made the floor slippery because they are tiled. Room that end in 01, 10,11,20 are corner units/ suites and 21 is center with a deck with both views. This room was great cause the bedroom was separate and the kitchen ,living room was open concept , the 1011 room was more for an office in your bedroom . The restaurants around this are good to great! I asked people on where to eat and not ,and like if you have tripadviser you can read others comments. Staff friendly and helpful if they could help. Cab ride from the airport was 35$. Note to families with kids! Not much for them to do here in this area. Pool and a jacuzzi pool only. A Walgreens store 2 blocks away in case you want to cook in the room.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and compliments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Greater Fort Lauderdale area and look forward to hosting many more of your South Florida vacations.

nj
Reviewed February 13, 2013

From the outside it doesnt look like anything special but this is a really nice hotel. The staff was super nice and helpfull. It just seemed elegant, quiet and relaxing. We were upgraded to a room with an intercoastal view (highly reccomended) without even asking and the room was large super clean with a large balcony and a full kitchen, dishwasher washer/drier etc which we didnt need but you can literally live in that room for a month.
The hotel is not on the beach (2 blocks away) but they offer towels and chairs to take gratis. when i asked for them at the front desk, she said ' oh by the way, we also offer bicycles to our guests free of charge. Gotta love cusotomer service! I havent had someone open the door for me at a hotel in a long time. kuddos to this hotel... highly reccomended

Room Tip: ask for the intercoastal view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ilLuganoHotel, Assistant Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Wow, thank you for your wonderful compliments and feedback. It is great pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay and were impressed with the standards we have set for our hotel. We strive as a team and enjoy providing our guests' the service they deserve.

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I'm in Southern Florida for business travel and could not secure a room in Boca Raton tonight - everything was booked. So, I used Hotel Tonight to book a room here at Il Lugano. So, I drove back to Ft. Lauderdale and actually passed it, initially, because I could not believe I could have gotten a room on Hotel Tonight at such a gorgeous property for a steal. However, after verifying the address and circling the block, I was immediately impressed at the friendly service of the doormen and especially, Ana, at the front desk.

Contrary to my fears, I was not treated differently (i.e., snubbed) because I booked through Hotel Tonight. Ana put me in a lovely suite, with a huge balcony overlooking the water, that has more amenities than I have in my own home. I'm about to dine at Da Campo, and it sounds like it's going to be equally stellar.

I've been in two different hotels the last two nights. They don't even come close, and I can't tell you how relaxing it is to here and staying put for the next two nights.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
On behalf of Ana and the entire il Lugano Staff, thank you for a wonderful review. We are very honored to see you were able to relax and enjoy your stay after moving the previous two nights. We look forward to hosting many more staycations for you or your loved ones in the near future.

Stuart, FL
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We recently stayed for 2 days as a "staycation". The Lugano Suite on the intracoastal is a great suite! Spotless, well decorated, and spacious. The room was so nice we opted not to leave and ordered room service so we wouldn't miss the sunset! Their general manager, Michael Hatsfeld, is top notch! Professional and effective. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Definitely get the intracoastal side. Best sunsets ever!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LauraA_Florida
Latham, NY
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We just stayed here for 6 nights and were very impressed with the hotel. Nicely furnished and very clean. The inter coastal views are spectacular. We upgraded to an inter coastal view which is well worth it, although the other option - ocean view is not a bad option. We just wanted to spend time on the terrace while doing some computer work we had to do. If you have a car and do not want to pay the $25/day valet fee, there is a parking garage a few blocks away that charges $10/day or there are meters close by although the meters are a max of 3 hours during the day. After 6pm meter parking is free until 8am the next day so if you do not mind moving the car a few times, this is an option.

Room Tip: Inter-coastal view rooms have the best view and afternoon sun on the terrace.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback and are very glad to see you truly enjoyed your stay. As a team we strive to meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We look forward to hosting your next business travels.