“Best deal I could find”

Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Iowa City, Iowa
“Best deal I could find”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Wanted to go for our honeymoon someplace warm on a budget. Did not think I would be getting this fancy of a hotel! The best hotel and service we have ever had, though we don't often stay in ritzy hotels like this. We got there a little too early and left a little late, but both times they held our bags for us and let us check in early! They also included a couple of bottles of champagne for us as it was our honeymoon. Got the free upgrade through their I prefer service and ended up with a very large suite for $111 (price gouge rated at $799), good luck finding that deal anywhere else. Although it is a couple blocks off the beach it is in a quiet (during offseason) safe little downtown area with lots of nice bars with reasonable prices and fancy dining options. CVS is a block away too. Also it's a watertaxi stop.

Room Tip: Go with Intercoastal view, much better than ocean as it's off the beach. BOOK THROUGH I PREFER...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
ilLuganoHotel, Executive Administrative Assistant at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
On behalf of the il Lugano staff, congratulations. We appreciate the opportunity to be a part of such a memorable moment. Il Lugano as you mentioned has great amenities and we are pleased to hear you and your wife truly enjoyed them all. We look forward to having you and your wife stay with us on your next Fort Lauderdale get away.

Executive Administrative Assistant
il Lugano Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Turkish first
SouthwestGal
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Visited the hotel in late October. The room was spectacular. The intercoastal view was amazing. We were very impressed with the furnishings, bedding and size of the room. The gym was great and the restaurant very nice although very expensive.
Your car has to be valeted or you can try metered parking across the street. However the car was retrieved quickly and the valets were very personable and polite.
The downside was the pool. In the shade all day. Also we had several days of rain and once the rain was over the pool cushions remained saturated for days. There was no place to sit in the entire pool area without getting soaked. No attempt was made to remove cushions or turn them over to expediate the drying process.
We thought then lets go to the beach as we can't sit by the pool. The hotel has no beach chairs available, so we had to purchase chairs so we could get a little sun on our vacation.
If you are looking to lounge in the sun, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: ask for intercoastal upgrade
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SothwestGal
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We have booked four rooms at this hotel end of October 2011. The hotel looks more like a very nice modern residence hotel.

The reason is it has limited hotel facilities, but big rooms. On the basement there is a small reception and behind the hotel is a small restaurant for breakfast mainly. The gym is also on the basement floor.

When you take the lift you got to your room and what a nice welcome. The rooms are more like a small house, in Europe you have flats as big as this room. I had the galley, a living room and a big bedroom. And a quiet big restroom. In my room there were 10 doors, just to to give you an idea about the size of the room.

The room was equipped with two LCD TV, a bose music system, all kitchen equipment and also washing machines. I didn't spent so much time in the room, but if I was with my family, these will be a good advantage.

The hotel has a valet system, but just in front of the hotel there are many car parks. It is free from 6 PM to 8 AM and if you insert some money in the morning you can stay till noon..

My stay at Il Lugano was very good, the only issue I had was with the reception or may be lets call the management. We have booked 4 rooms for 5 nights. So we are a 20 pax customer for the hotel. One of our colleague has had a problem and came two days late. However the hotel has charged the first night as no show, Which is understandable.. Charged another 100 USD for cancellation fee and charged 3 nights from the Rack rate, which is 60% more than our agreed price. All I was demanding was to pay for all five nights (although he stayed three) from our agreed price.

After all they didn't asked the 100 USD cancellation fee, but again the total we paid for three nights at rack rate and one night no show, was more than our first agreed five night fee. I know the hotel fees terms and conditions very well, the hotel may be did what is written on the rules, but as a customer who booked four rooms, this didn't made me happy. Paying more than necessary and seeing no flexibility from the hotel..

Shall I stay at this hotel again.. I don't think so, its not because I didn't like the hotel.. I didn't like the hotel being so opportunist

Erkmen

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Erkmen
NYC
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I highly recommend to anyone who is tacking cruise out of Fort L or Miami area.

Good things -

- very clean and modern room.
- Lagoon view is the Best!! It makes you feel like you are in Venice
- Full Kitchen + Breakfast area + Dryer/Washer is definitely plus
- Relatively close to the Beach and other hotels
- close by mall and shopping and dining area
- very economical for its price
- water taxi if interested

cons ( not that it mattered to me but..)
- swimming facility is small..
- outdoor feel is not a resort like but I'm fine with that
- expensive hotel parking

Tip:

Rent car if you are staying for couple of days from Airport. There is huge public parking lot outside hotel.. cost 50 cents per hour and free between 6pm-8am... It pretty empty so I doubt anyone frequently checks around... very easy to pay for parking, I used my mobile phone to add few cents in the AM :) google fort l public parking.

Room Tip: Lagoon view is better... Note that hotel is not beach front.. it faces main road and few other build...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank SVUSA11
Cadiz, Spain
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I've read all the negative reviews and can only surmise that there has been a change in management since then..... ALL the staff were very friendly and eager to please....the food was REALLY good - the wines were wonderful - the rooms were exceptionally clean (I usually don't walk barefoot in any hotel room that has a carpet, but did here) - the bed was sooooo comfortable - loved this hotel and will be coming back! :-)

1 Thank Jane147310
We are very pleased to receive your feedback and see you enjoyed your stay with us. Our goal is to have our guests’ feel at home in this “hidden gem”. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next Fort Lauderdale vacation.

executive Adimistrative Assistant
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Il Lugano is an elegant boutique-style hotel with luxurious rooms and amenities. The suites have full kitchens, washer-dryers, etc. Our room had two balconies overlooking the inter-coastal waterway. The front desk staff and bell staff were very friendly and the valet parking was very quick and efficient. When we checked in the handle to the locked closet fell of and engineering had to open the door (our room’s front hall closet had no hangers). On our second day we returned at 4 PM and had to call to get our room serviced. I agree with other reviewers about the poor Wi-Fi--frequent dropped service and no coverage on the balconies. The hotel has a small but very nice lobby lounge and room service is provided by da Campo Osteria--a high-end Tuscan restaurant. We ate there one night--excellent food and service including hand-pulled mozzarella but fairly noisy. The restaurant also provides room service--although the in-room menu is limited. The hotel’s downside is the location. It’s located at the end of a short strip of run-down retail space. It’s also not near downtown Fort lauderdale’s trendy Las Olas Boulevard with it’s restaurants and boutiques, and it’s not on the beach (although an easy walk). That said, it’s a beautiful, upscale property to which we’d likely return.

1 Thank TouringLawyer
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed December 3, 2011

So this is an amazing hotel but if you need or rely on internet, don't book here. If you do not care about internet, I suggest you book immediately. The wireless internet in this hotel is a joke. I am one that needs to be connected to the net in a hotel. This hotel seriously needs to upgrade its internet ASAP! Most of the time I couldn't even get Google to load.

Let the record show I am a self proclaimed computer geek, so I know a thing or two about computers. I am not some average joe that doesn't even know how to connect to wifi.

If you need wifi for a few minutes just to check email real quick, they do have wifi in the lobby and for some reason it is really fast and reliable there.

So more about the hotel and less of my rant on the horrid wireless. The hotel is very nice and very modern. All of their employees are very friendly. The concierge I believe her name is Marianne, she is an amazing woman and is VERY helpful.

My boyfriend and I were at this hotel for a week and a half, I must say we were impressed with everything (expect the wifi obviously).

We are locals to south florida and will recommend this hotel to any of our friends or people that want to stay at a good hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank zaxven
ilLuganoHotel, Executive Administrative Assistant at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
We appreciate your feedback as this way may rectify our guests’ concerns. We are pleased to be informed Marianne provided you with the service and assistance required. It is our goal to provide great service. We hope to have and your friends to stay with us in your next Fort Lauderdale get away.

Executive Administrative Assistant