“Great hotel but not perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #22 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“Great hotel but not perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here with my sister for 12 nights. The hotel is lovely in appearance - great reception and lovely smell as you walk in.

We had a wonderful room which was a great size and balcony was also big with two chairs and table. The bathroom is a good size and had the bliss toiletries! The room is cleaned daily, however it seemed to be very inconsistent. Some days the room was cleaned to a high standard and other days the toiletries weren't replenished, dirty towels not picked up and once we came back to our room at 5pm, having been out all day and the room wasn't even cleaned yet! This was seen to pretty swiftly however it's not what you expect from a big hotel like this. I had also emailed the hotel prior to checking in to request extra pillows, as I was recovering from a shoulder fracture and this was not met by the hotel and wasn't recognised when I checked in. Also often you would walk down the corridors and trays from room service never seemed to be picked up.

The hotel has two pools which are both great. Wet West can get busy on the weekends. The pool service was okay but again inconsistent at times. You would ask for a menu and there were times when no one came back to take your order. Also plates were rarely collected after you had eaten which is not nice in the heat and with birds flying around.

We had breakfast at the W Cafe and the two guys are so lovely but they often had a long queue whilst they took it in there stride, it was clear to see there was a need for extra staff.

On checking out, we had to have our breakfast taken off as this was included in the deal but the guy was unsure how to do it and whilst he got there in the end, he ended up leaving one charge on the bill.

The location of this hotel is great just across the road from the beach, walking distance to the local restaurants and a cab ride to Las Olas - which is a must visit as there are some great places to eat.
Steak 954 is a must go to we had breakfast and dinner here once and both were of a really high standard. The service is top and you never felt rushed and the food is out of this world.

I would recommend this hotel to others and I would stay here again, the above were only minor niggles and didn't ruin our stay in the slightest.

Thank you for a great stay W and we can't wait to return!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rupi123
Rupi123,

We greatly appreciate your feedback and have addressed your concerns with our team! While I’m sorry to hear of some of the challenges you faced with Style, your pillow request and service at WET, I’m glad you enjoyed Steak 954 and the Fort Lauderdale area. It’s wonderful that you were able to explore Las Olas and that you’re planning on returning. We’d love to welcome you back in true W fashion, so please let us know when your travels bring you back our way by emailing GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com.

LBosco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,142)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

We had an amazing experience at the W. From the moment we checked in we encountered such friendly staff members. Our room was upgraded to an ocean view room - it was gorgeous!!! During our stay we had a great time at the living room bar, whiskey room (cool open mic night) and the Steak restaurant ( the food is some of the best I have ever had). Every person we talked to in the hotel was lovely and friendly. This place has great views and is in an amazing location. If you feel lazy you really don't even need to leave the property to have a good time. This was my first time staying at a W hotel and I know that it won't be my last. Thanks for such a great experience!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Harprd,

Thank you for sharing your first W Hotels experience with us – I’m thrilled you enjoyed your stay! It sounds like you were really able to experience all that the property has to offer from Steak 954 to Whiskey Blue! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Maple Ridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed here with our 9 and 5 year old children for 4 nights as part of our 2 week Florida vacation. We were disappointed with many aspects of this hotel. We expected W quality and this hotel was not up to that level.

Positives:
-location to beach, although not what we consider beach front since you have to cross the highway. however, beach area is very nice
-kids enjoyed the cool glass staircase into the pool

Negatives:
-dark- lobby and common areas in the building are so dark that you feel like you are in a night club
-dirty - the pool areas were absolutely disgusting.... if you have a pool with a glass viewing area maybe you should ensure the pool is clean? we could see various bandaids and tissues and other unknowns floating in the water... it was really gross
-pool deck was in major disrepair... wobbly patio stones, ripped and stained chair cushions
-while we were there an elderly man fell and hit his head walking on the wobbly patio stones around the pool deck
-slow valet service - mandatory expensive valet because there is no self parking and it took forever to get our car even when we would call down ahead of time
-soft beds with no support
-very loud corridor noise at all hours of the night - this is ultimately why this is one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed at..... we could not get any sleep as there was so much noise coming in through our hallway door all night

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank abcd4monkeys
abcd4monkeys,

Thank you for your review. I understand that our team has reached out to you to discuss your stay in greater detail – should you wish to address anything further, please feel free to email us GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

I'm currently staying in the W Fort Lauderdale for a 2 night getaway after a conference up North before returning to Europe.
To cut a long story short, I was expecting much more from a hotel that is charging 450$ a night for their "Wonderful rooms" (standard room).

A list of the things that I didn't like so far:

1. Upon arrival, the valet service was very hectic, there were cars all over the place and is was not clear where to park. When picking up my car to go for a ride, same experience. I called 10 minutes before pickup time, and I had to wait another 15 minutes outside with the valet guys. For 34 dollars per day, I expect more service.

2. Checkin: It took over 15 minutes for the front desk guy to check me in...although my SPG number was linked to the reservation and the reservation was prepaid. It looked like he had some issues understanding the system he was working with as he had to ask his colleagues several questions during the whole check-in process.

3. As an SPG platinum member, I'm used to nice upgrades. I checked before checking in, and they still had availability in their apartment suites. However, the guy working the frontdesk told me it was not part of their complimentary upgrade system (that's in contradiction with many other reviews of platinum members I read here and elsewhere). I got upgraded to a "Spectacular Ocean View Room".

4. Upon entering the room I immediately noticed dust all over the place. This is just not acceptable for a 5 star place.

5. Bathroom: The shower does not have a lot of pressure and there seems to be a drainage problem. The shower/bath combo fills with water pretty quickly.

6. Only 1 bottle of complimentary water in the room. I think the Florida weather requires a bit more than one bottle...

7. Room service: I ordered a Caesar Salad and although the salad was OK, I was not impressed. It didn't came with bread, neither a glass of water. They should go have a look in W Barcelona, they know how to serve salads and make it appealing to the eye as well.

8. The bar: I was the only person in the bar on the terrace (Whiskey Blue) yesterday afternoon. Yet, they had me wait about 15 minutes, and after I asked, they finally took my order.

The good:
They have 2 pools, one where all the action is happening and one more relaxed. Location is nice, views as well.
All in all, unimpressed compared to other W hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sven_Barca
Sven_Barca,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a detailed review – we truly appreciate your feedback. I understand that our team has been in touch with you directly to address your concerns. Again, we thank you for your time.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

The age of this hotel is showing most of the facilities in his property were dated. However the staff of the property were excellent we had a great stay and i would recommend this hotel. the hotel is rght on the beach and there are many goods rest and bars near it.

Room Tip: choose one of the suites they are spacious and have a good view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
vik1877,

I’m glad you enjoyed your recent stay and that our team was able to elevate your experience. It sounds like you were able to explore Fort Lauderdale a bit too, which is great. We appreciate your feedback regarding the condition the hotel and hope to welcome you again soon.

Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

So last weekend I was at the Mandarin Oriental in Miami and everything was perfect.... This weekend I am happen to stay at the W in Fort Lauderdale. We arrived at the hotel around 9 pm.... We couldn't get into the steak house so we decided to eat at the Lounge/bar area... Took forever for our server to take our orders. Another 45 minute wait for Guacamole / cheeseburger/ and grilled shrimps... Well for the 16$ hamburger came with packaged condiments and it was the size of the double cheeseburger at McDonald ... French fries wee stale. The 9$ guacamole come in a 2 ounce black plastic to go cup with chips. The grilled shrimps were barely passable.,..
Really , honestly 4 star hotel the W with food come in with plastic packaged condiments and guacamole contained in plastic cup? Horrible service mediocre food.... The Mandarin Oriental put this place to shame 10 times over ! The End

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Nathan9551
Nathan9551,

I’m sorry to hear of the b+f experience you had in Living Room. We certainly appreciate your feedback and have shared your concerns with our team in hopes of improving future guests’ experiences. Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I was highly disappointed by the arrogance of the staff
and the lousy breakfasts and service at the 954 Restaraunt. This place nickels and dimes and has the
Aura of a pretentious New York Hotel. The guests tend
To be on the want to be high snobby attitude side which
Does not add up to the trashy FL style. The balcony on
The 20th floor Room 2025 was a joke! Really? I dont
Know where people rave. The drinks at the bar are weak and overpriced and they serve cheap wine. I returned my vodka and soda which had no vodka in it.
Do not waste your money. I am a world traveler!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
kuma75,

While we appreciate your feedback, I’m sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and concerns. We’ve shared them with our team for review. We wish you safe travels.