WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #21 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Ohio
“Enjoyable stay, maybe a little too fancy for their own good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I just stated at the W for four nights. Overall impression was very good. I enjoyed my stay there. Everyone is very friendly and they definitely know how to give service. Now for some specifics:

Check in: Process was smooth and quick. I did check in late and noticed some lines start to form around 11 - 2 and then again around early dinner time. If you want a quick check in, I'd avoid those times. No upgrade--guess I didn't have enough SPG points and it could have been because the Labor Day weekend was approaching too. Thus, though many have noted upgrades, even without asking, don't count on it.

Room: The room was clean by most people's standards. I say this because I'm a clean freak, and I think they could have done a better job for such an upscale hotel. I did notice that the tile walls in the bathroom were in need of a wipe down. Nothing gross, just from use. The bed's headboard where the uplights are was a bit dusty--again, little things that let me know the cleaning staff was on top of it just didn't happen. A little Pledge or something can go a long way. No alligator on the bed, but then again, I wasn't really looking for it. Bliss products in the bathroom were pretty nice. Loved the sage and lemon milled soap. Heavenly! The peek-a-boo shower can be covered with a curtain if you're so inclined to your privacy. Hated the shower head. It's supposed to have a rain-like feel to it, but the water pressure sucked and made it all the more frustrating to wash soap from your body. Definitely need to fix this.

Bliss Spa: I enjoyed a Bliss 49 with Jacqueline at the spa. Just wonderful! Though much too pricey for a "regular" trip (to be expected at a hotel, though), I considered it worth it. HOWEVER, the music was absolutely horrid. I don't know how they consider music for relaxation, but hearing Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles belt out tunes while I'm on the table for a massage was NOT relaxing in the least. Jacqueline turned the music down, thank God. Piano music, smooth jazz or Soundscapes, people! Keep this in mind if you'd like to get a relaxing massage or facial--consider bringing headphones. It didn't go unnoticed that the woman who checked me out of Bliss said absolutely NOTHING when I complained about the music at Bliss. Verdict: Won't go again if I visit this hotel (or any Bliss spa anywhere, for that matter ...).

Steak 954: Unless you're a serious carnivore and purveyor of all things steak-y, including lamb, skip it. I'm not a big meat eater (yeah, I know ... but keep reading) and even when I've frequented other "steak houses" with friends, there's ALWAYS something on the menu I can eat and enjoy. Not so much at Steak 954. I think it's way overpriced as well. I mean like, WAY. You'd be better off trying to find a Morton's or something like that than eat at Steak 954. I was kind of hostage that night, which is why I ate there. The chopped salad is HUGE, so if you order that, be aware. The lump crab cake was absolutely delicious. If you want dessert, DO splurge on the chocolate panicotta if they have it--to die for. Service was impeccable. As far as the menu, just not for me.

Service: Some had noted sketchy service at the W. I did not find this to be the case at all. Service at all times was absolutely wonderful. From Luis, Ali and Mike pool side to the W Cafe servers to Getian (who worked valet but didn't hesitate to call a taxi for my little car-less self), I knew I was in good hands. When I ordered poolside during the week, food came literally within minutes. On Saturday, I was told it would be 30 - 40 minutes, which was understandable since it was a weekend. I was pleasantly surprised when my food arrived in about 15 minutes. The fries are awesome and the size will feed about 3. My only complaint about poolside: skip the drinks. They're watered down and very expensive. Stay hydrated with their wonderful, free fruit-infused water by the pool and go to a happy hour down the street.

Living Room/Whiskey Blue: I did enjoy a drink called the Cali Ginger. A MUST if you like ginger beer in any of your drinks. 'Nuff said. As for their "light fare" and "small bites": skip, skip, skip. Unless you like food that they've tried to make so fancy none of it sounds good (Fried pork belly sushi? Guh-ross!) at all.

In fact, for food overall, unless you're looking for something fancy,walk next door to the Hilton (sorry, W) and go inside their little cafe that sits right on the corner. Pizzas and paninis to order at REASONABLE prices, alcohol, desserts, snacks and salads for eight bucks. Yeah, like normal.

The area around the W was lackluster, in my opinion. Beach Place Towers down the way has a bunch of cheesy looking kiosks selling ugly sunglasses and beach gear; a few other stores sit there along with a Subway (cheap eats for the beach) and some ice cream shops. There are a couple of restaurants and a CVS for sundries. (Note: There's a little beach cafe shop in there near the Haagen Dasz-- DO NOT eat there. The owner is gross and doesn't wash his hands after handling money or smoking his cigs.) In the opposite direction head to the Atlantic Hotel for close happy hour specials. And definitely hit the beach! If you have no car and need to get around, expensive taxis are abundant. You won't really need one though--unless you like browsing around in shops, skip Las Olas Boulevard. Not a whole lot going on there.

Overall, really liked the W. I just may return. I didn't like that they allow dogs, since barking dogs as part of my relaxing vacation were very much unwelcome. Didn't bother with taking photos of this one here, as there are plenty of accurate traveler photos on this site.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any dogs checking in near your room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AttractiveNuisance
AttractiveNuisance,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your visit. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope that your travels bring you back to Fort Lauderdale in the future. Perhaps you can visit a few of local museums and historical gardens on your next trip – our W Insider would be happy to recommend a few fun places to explore!

All the best,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,104)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

First time at W and all i can say is that it was an amazing experience.....we were so impressed by how the staff handle the customers that was the most impressing thing for us...:)., and of course the room,the pool ,restaurant all great....we would like to make a second trip back to florida and book W again and this time no more driving just enjoying W treatment :)...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Stefania R,

I’m so glad you and your friends enjoyed the hotel and that our team was able to make your trip all the more memorable. We can wait to see you all again soon!

Cancun, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I work in a hotel at Cancún México, and really there is nothing as mexican service, but i traveled to Fort Lauderdale this summer, and The hotel was as expected, its a very popular hotel in The City, people that go there look really well, and staff was nice.

The lobby is a little bit dark, cause The hotel is really modern. They have a nice terrace with a nice view of The beach.
It is located in The beach zone and there is lot of restaurants on The sides.
Rooms where ok, normal size nothing extraordinary.
The pool was amazing, It has a really cool look.

Sawgrills mall it is 35 min away, and really easy to get from The hotel. Last thing wifi is free at The lobby, not in The rooms.
Ill come back if i ever go back to Fort Lauderdale.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RubeenReyes,

Thanks for sharing your recent experience. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the pool and had some time to explore the amazing shopping in South Florida! Until next time…safe travels!

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Husband and I stayed here for the weekend. The room was spectacular and the location is across from the beach. All of my expectations of staying at a W hotel were met, we will stay here again when we come down for a Miami Dolphins game.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Splenda0815
Splenda0815,

We’re happy to see that you enjoyed your stay – we can’t wait to see you again over football season!

Windermere FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I recently made the drive from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale and spent a couple of days at the W. Everything was just fantastic. Checkin was made super fast and friendly by Raul at the front desk. Our suite was really clean (we'll leave a room or even a hotel if its not), comfortable and updated, with a great view of both the ocean and intercoastal. We loved the pool design and the wait staff there was very attentive and friendly, and the food was quite good for pool side food. Beach is nice but we spent almost no time on it as we preferred hanging at the pool. My wife loved Nikki at the Bliss Spa. She does great nails and was apparently really fun to talk to. Gianna at the little boutique across from Bliss was especially nice and helpful. This may sound a little odd, but one of the best parts of the visit for me was breakfast at 954. I was torn between a few things so the waitress recommended the Breakfast Cuban Sandwich.... holy cow... that was THE BEST BKFST Sandwich I THINK I'VE EVER HAD. It's not your typical Cuban sandwich. You gotta try it if you eat there, seriously. It's the only thing i'll have for breakfast when we go back.

Room Tip: There are ocean front rooms, but the rooms on the side have a view of both the ocean and intercoasta...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RAKS4
RAKS4,

Thanks so much for sharing your amazing review! It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to experience all that the hotel has to offer. We truly hope your travels bring you back to us soon – we’ll save a sandwich for you!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

32.00 per day parking. First bellhop grabbed our bags but could only take us to the lobby. We tip him but have to use a different bellhop. Problem is he can't find one to pass us off to so we just stand in the lobby. He says we can't take the cart they r running low. We finally get to our room and there is no alligator or cushions on our patio. Had to call for both. Not a great check in experience

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank michelleashleygreer
Michelleashleygreer,

I’m sorry to hear about your check in experience – we surely strive for you to feel welcome upon arrival and it’s disappointing that this was not accomplished on your last stay. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again soon so we can show you the true W experience.

Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

I travel to the Fort Lauderdale area for business twice a month on average, and this location cannot be beat! The accommodations, location, staff, and amenities are exceptional. Want to go for a run along Fort Lauderdale beach before work? No problem. Need a great place to take clients or team membersto dinner? Check. Want hassle-free valet, check-in, and in-room services? W Fort Lauderdale has you covered - and what a view! The staff is incredibly knowledgable, friendly, and accommodating. The propery is immaculate and feels more like a custom home than a hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
JGubler,

What a stellar review – thanks so much for sharing! It’s so refreshing to hear that you not only find the hotel to be a home away from home, but a great place for your client entertaining. Please let us know next time your travels bring you back our way: GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com! Until then, safe travels!