“Most recent stay”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #27 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Would give excellent rating except restaurant brought score down. Had breakfast and it was very expensive for what we were served. I don't mind spending the money if you get value but this was way below par. Ordered scrambled eggs with bacon and toast plus home fries. Got one piece of bacon and one slice of toast and small amount of potatoes plus a small salad ( who eats salad for breakfast). I have never been served only one piece of bacon and one slice of toast. For an upscale hotel you would think they could afford a second piece of bacon and a second slice of toast. If you decide to stay here find somewhere else to eat your meals.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Phynias,

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us. I’m sorry to hear that your restaurant experience didn’t meet your expectations – we’ll be sure to share this feedback with our team for review. We do hope to welcome back again soon.

All the best

Reviewed August 5, 2013

By all accounts this modern, very cool, and warm Hotel surpassed all our expectations. From the amazing suite, to the view from our balcony, to the fresh linens, soaps, towels, bathrobes...perfect

An amazing pool, great great music, with Live DJ's on the weekends!

Highly recommend for families.

Michael M,

We think you’re fabulous too! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and the amenities in your room and around the hotel. I’m also thrilled to see you were able to enjoy the DJs spinning over the weekend.

Until next time, safe travels!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I will always stay at the W when in Ft Lauderdale. Every employee made us feel important, like they were personally excited that we were there. However, I don't believe the food service got that memo. ESP the servers at the club and pool. I didn't feel like we receive at least the standard of care in those areas. It took 45 mins for a hot dog that had to be sent back which took another 20 mins at pool side. At the club, the bartender was not interested in serving me, but more interested in chit chatting with his friends. My drink came back wrong so I just refused it and left. The overall hotel experience overshadowed these incidences by far. So I will still stand by my 5 star rating.

• Stayed: August 2013

mltcd2,

I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we’ll have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fort Lauderdale again! However, I’m disappointed to hear that the b + f service didn’t meet your expectations – we’ll be sure to share this feedback with our team in hopes of improving future experiences.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was thrilled with my stay (July 29-31, 2013) because I've always found W Hotel to be awesome, but they exceeded my expectations. Often, the service at Hotels in resort towns/areas is slightly less pleasant than at the same hotels in the urban areas (I guess because people on vacation tend to be more demanding). lol So, I'd braced myself for quick and efficient treatment, but not necessarily "pleasant." Boy,was I surprised! My coworker and I checked in at the same time, and both of the professionals at the reception area were happy and conversational and offered help/explanations with smiles. My room was SUPER clean -- not a hair anywhere -- which is rare (the rhymes were unintentional, I swe--)!

Seriously, I'm a major germ-phobe, and so is my coworker. Both of us commented on how clean and pristine the whole hotel was. The lobby smells wonderful, and the restaurant area, the hallways and even the elevators seem to envelope you in just an aura of serenity. The bed was very comfortable. I felt like Goldilocks -- not too hard; not too soft; it was just right! The view was nice (From the comfort of my balcony, I did spy on a couple of lovebirds who were having a serious make-out session on their balcony in a different hotel). Hey -- it's FLORIDA, right?!

And, while all cleanliness of the towels, the bathroom, the bed, and even the balcony door was impressive, that wasn't the best part. I'd planned to post my comment after all that, but I was dragging my feet to do it. I'm busy.

The day I got back, I realized I'd left my bathrobe in my hotel room, so I replied to the email I'd received with my folio. I got a wonderful response promising to follow up. The Risk department just called and said not only did they find my robe, they're shipping it to me -- at no charge!! WHAT???!!! WHO does that? W Fort Lauderdale, apparently!! ♥ "Impressed" is an understatement! BLOWN AWAY is more like it. Not one complaint -- and, even though I'm a pretty positive person, I can typically find something that can be improved when it comes to the Service Industry. That's just kinda what I do (for work). Not this time, though.

I'm trying to find a reason to go back sooner rather than later, just so I can have a similar experience. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: The air conditioner works REALLY well -- at least on the 12th floor where I was. I like it cool, and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Monica V

MsRed1913,

WOW – thank you so much for such kind and detailed review. I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your visit and that we were able to exceed your expectations. I’m also very happy that your robe made it back to you. It’s truly our pleasure to welcome you to W Fort Lauderdale and we hope to do so again, soon!

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I agree with other contributors that the hotel is lovely. Particularly appreciate the fact that there was always enough sun beds by the pool, which can easily be a problem in such big hotel. Few tips and advice: beach and the sea - lovely warm seawater, but high waves in the afternoons. Shopping - there is a galleria just few minutes away by car/cab. Otherwise use the sun trolley, direction north. Restaurants - I actually didn't try the Steak 954, the Whiskey Blue bar was OK, but always empty. I think the reason is the silly idea of keeping the bar so dark. From outside it looks like it is closed, then when you come closer you also see it is empty and most people move on. However, just across the street, at Hilton there is really nice spot called Sun Surf Sand. Modern menu, nice ambience and smarter lit. It looked elegant and cosy and is very popular. Few good restaurants at the galleria, particularly Seasons 52. Try also Coconuts at the harbor - amazing seafood in relaxing surroundings. Nearest car rental is A car rental just ten minutes walk north (2908 Sunrise Blvd) if you need a car and don't want the trip to the airport. Visit Palm Beach - it's lovely. So is Vizcaya district and Brickell Village in Miami. Avoid Mismi beach Ocean Drive - biggest tourist trap ever!!!
Otherwise enjoy;)

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank THREOslo

THREOslo,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! It sounds like you really had the chance to experience all that South Florida has to offer – that’s amazing! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

As usual, after six years of coming here for our anniversary, we still love it. We have read where others have gotten upgraded to suites but we never have :( . Even the nice single woman we met this last time was upgraded to a two bedroom suite but did we,,,,,, noooooo!!! However, The "W" rocks in our opinion. Props to Emily Anderson. Very sweet and thoughtful.

• Stayed: July 2013

mandj052002,

Congratulations on your sixth anniversary! We’re so happy to have been able to join in on the celebration. Let us know next time you visit so we can welcome you in true W fashion – email us at GM.WFortLauderdale@WHotels.com.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the W Ft. Lauderdale last week post-cruise for two nights. We are a family of four (incl. 12 & 16 year old). Lovely hotel/resort, right on the beach. We checked in quite early since our cruise docked at 6 a.m. We were at the hotel by 8. They took our bags and told us they would call when the room was ready. They called at 4:30. Which was fine with us since we drove to the Keys. We were given an upgrade (without asking) to an ocean/pool view room, 7th floor. Lovely pool. I also booked through AAA, and got a $50 daily breakfast credit. This was a great deal with two teenage kids. Food in the restaurant (breakfast) was excellent.
The hotel has a club/dark lighting atmosphere. Very modern décor. We noticed lots of "kids" in their 20's checking in, since the lobby turns into a club at night. The crowd at the pool also had this vibe. Not sure why you would hang out at the pool with the beach at your front door? Must be the age thing! We did go to the pool to get towels for the beach. Got some looks from all the adults there (like we were invaders). Good thing we had no intention of hanging out at the pool! I will definitely stay here again due to it's proximity to the beach and shopping.

1  Thank Heidi G
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Heidi G,

Thank you for your review. We hope you enjoyed your cruise and are thrilled that we were able to welcome you post-cruise! We’re also happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of the daily breakfast offer and got some time to relax sea-side. We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon!