“Just like the last time...solid but could use more hotel guests!”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #28 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed June 25, 2013

As I had written in February during my stay here, this W is very different than the average hotel on the strip. Although I went back because of its service level its quiet nature did stand out for me this time. I had been in Miami for two of the nights with clients at two other hotel lobby on the strip and I have to say it was a downer when I came to my hotel as it was so not the same in atmosphere at the bar etc. Yes it has a large check-in area, high ceilings, interesting furniture and great patios all around. I still love the pool deck and the service was top notch but the bar atmosphere is not like other W's in other cities. If I had to stay in Ft. Lauderdale I would stay here but I wouldn't expect anything different as now I understand it is not like other W's in the chain. I wish as I am sure they do too.....they had more guests in the hotel.

Room Tip: They have very good suites as well with washer and dryers (if you are lucky), kitchens and 2 bathroo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SavvyTraveler738
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

SavyTraveler738 – Thanks for taking the time to share your review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed our signature Whatever / Whenever service and dynamic design. You are welcome back, anytime.

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I recently stayed at the W for a long weekend getaway. We arrived late on a Thursday night due to a flight delay. Check-in was smooth. There wasn't much going on at the hotel. The lobby bar was closed, but we headed downstairs to Whiskey Blue for a drink before bed. Only a few people there. Spent our days lounging by the pool. Very comfy chairs and waitstaff to bring you any delicious drink you could want! Very good. Great music. The beach is right across the street. There was really no need to leave the hotel. The restaurant downstairs (Steak 954) is amazing!!! We ate there for dinner twice and for brunch twice. Everything was wonderful. We would definitely return!

• Stayed: June 2013

333kimberly – Thank you for the wonderful review! It was our pleasure to host you for your relaxing weekend getaway. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Happy travels,

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed 2 nites in a corner suite for my bday. When i checked in, my room was not ready until 5PM when check-in time is 4PM. I had to beg for a credit and was only given $50 total of my $300+ a nite room. I was also told no room upgrades were available despite being a preferred member. The room claims to be 900 square feet but the corner room is nowhere near 900 feet and has a lot of empty space in the foyer. They must include the balcony in the total sq feet or something. There was also a beehive on the balcony and it would have been bad if i got stung. The carpet was dirty and the room just seemed like it was missing decor. There were dirty room service trays all over the hallway. There are some great parts of this hotel - which is why I love the W... Steak 954 was amazing, the common areas and pools are great - 24 HOUR POOLS!!!, nightlife is fun, the view and the balcony were amazing, Bliss bath products are wonderful, location and service are great. Overall a great time it just wasnt as great as the other times i stayed here and other W's.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cslingerland

Cslingerland – We appreciate you taking the time to share your review. I am delighted to read about the highlights of your stay, from Wet to STEAK954. It is disappointing to read about the elements of your experience that did not meet your expectations. You started off on the wrong foot with a late check in and that was just the beginning. You are correct; our guest room square footage does include the balcony. If you are interested in a larger ocean front room I would recommend a Fantastic Suite. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with your personally about your stay. Please reach out to Gmanthony.livoti@whotels.com so we can discuss. Hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This has to be one if the most attentive, clean, sexy, did I say clean hotels that I've stayed at in a while. As a professional that travels for a living I've frequent the competition hotels and resorts quite often. If I had one wish regarding hotels, is that there was a W hotel in every major city that I travel too.
The guest services was amazing, the room service was quality and fast. The location was perfect and the view of the ocean and intercostal from my window was simply breath taking. I can go on and on however I'm going to have to allow you to experience yourself. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2013

Prettyteeth – We can’t wait for you to return! Thanks for the shining review, until next time.

Happy travels,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

A dark gloomy lobby with halls that go no where. Signage in the hotel either non-existent or so confusing you end up on the street. Finding either pool was an adventure! Rooms were very nice, with a great view of the ocean, and the coffee free in the lobby bar, but those are the only good points. Free wi-fi in the lobby was hit and miss and when I enquired about late check-out told price is $150/hour. Never again

Room Tip: stay at the Hilton next door
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Patti25

Patti25 – Thank you for sharing your feedback from you W Fort Lauderdale experience. We are happy to know you enjoyed the amazing view from your guest room, although it is disappointing to see you found the layout of the hotel to be complicated. I have shared your feedback about the Living Room Wi-Fi with our IT team; we know how important it is for our guests to be connected. Thank you again for your review, we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

It's fascinating, both architecturally and in design/brand. Lots of detail. The staff were always friendly, helpful, and greeted me at all hours, even just in passing. Food & drinks were extremely over-priced. But I loved the low lighting, the smell (they have their own scent) the changing ambient music that changes throughout the day...everything about this place. Definitely a great choice for couples! Very romantic.

Room Tip: Beware traveling with a companion -- some rooms (most, maybe?) have a glass wall between the shower...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We traveled from the West coast of Florida to Fort Lauderdale in order to attend a friend’s 50th Birthday celebration. They chose the hotel and having not stayed at a W before, we were excited to experience the chain we’d heard so many good things about.

With almost no signage, the hotel was difficult to find despite the help of our GPS. Even locating the entrance was a challenge as it was inconspicuously placed between two of the towers. This topic was even joked about with other members of the group who had similar troubles finding the hotel. Not only was the building difficult to locate, but the rooms were also a bit of a challenge as there are multiple towers and several in our party inadvertently opted for the wrong tower first; you really shouldn't have to work this hard to find your way around. Further complicating the matter was that our party of 10+ rooms was split between two buildings and there was a learning curve for us to determining which of towers we were all in and which floor we need to be on in order to cross from one tower to the other. While riding the elevators, we ran into many other guests experiencing the same confusion; it eventually became funny.

As for our room; it was located on the 15th floor (TOWER 1) and had a splendid side view of Fort Lauderdale Beach (see photo), no complaints here! The room itself had semi-soiled carpet and was quite small. It was a unique configuration and had a European feel; we felt the glass shower in the middle of the room was a bit awkward, providing ZERO privacy (see photo). This wasn't a problem for us, but I bet it is for some. There was almost no space left in the room for our things. There was a small desk but the hotel had it stacked with tour books, notes, and a tray of humorously expensive snacks (a Snickers Bar was priced at $8 – seriously!), a phone and two lamps. We had to move most of this to the closet in order to place anything of ours on the desk. This desk space along, with the a very small sofa, was all the area we were allotted; even the rooms trash receptacle needed to be put in a walkway as there was no other place for it.

The TV was mounted so low on the wall above the desk we had to move our laptop off, and prop our heads up high, in order to see it while lying in bed.

The above notwithstanding, the bed was quite comfortable.

I was told by others that this this facility was not typical of other W’s so although we will likely not return to this property, we may be willing to try the chain again in another city.

Room Tip: Rooms are small Beds are comfortable Little if any privacy in signal bedded rooms (Maybe others...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple