“Disappointing”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #27 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed May 16, 2013

First, our room was not ready until 4:45 and no apology was made (official check in time is 4pm; we actually arrived at 3pm). Our room layout was stunning (a fabulous 2 bdrm, 1500 sq ft) but the floor was incredibly dirty...sticky and turned sock soles black. Unbelievable for a W! We have stayed a W hotels in a number of locations. The attitude of the staff left much to be desired as well; generally not a feeling of a service culture. And at this level of room & hotel, wi-fi should be at no charge as it is at other W properties. You can buy a $14 drink at the bar and get free wi-fi, but if you are staying at an $800/night room you have to pay $14.95 for wi-fi access. When I shared my disappointment with the manager, he did offer a room credit which was appreciated, but it really should be a part of the hotel's unique service offering. Finally, our room was not cleaned until late afternoon, which is never our experience at the numerous hotels we stay at when travelling. Surprising, disappointing to sum it up.

Room Tip: Check cleanliness. Ocean views are always nicer.
1  Thank Pam7_11

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We arrived at 11 am on a Friday at the W Hotel, the front desk was extremely friendly. We had booked the hotel through a Spirit Vacation Package, and were expecting an average room. Being a Starwood member they informed us that they were upgrading our room. It wasn’t ready yet, which was understandable seeing it was only 11:00 am, but we were given a hospitality suite to change and freshen up. Within an hour they called our cell phone to let us know the room was ready. We were in a One Bedroom Flat in Tower 2. The room was wonderful with a fantastic view. The staff and service were outstanding. The manager Ryan Thomas was top notch !! We take an anniversary trip every year to Miami and stay at the Loews or Marriott. This year we decided to go to Fort Lauderdale for a change. We were very happy with our stay and we will definitely come back to Fort Lauderdale and stay at the W Hotel. We can not say enough about how well we were treated.
The hotel has a fantastic location, great views, and beautiful décor (Spa, Zen like feel). There is a nice pool area overlooking the ocean and the pool water was a perfect temperature. Service at the pool was very attentive. One thing the hotel did not offer was a store for sundries, we had to go next store to the Hilton for sunscreen, magazines, snacks and soda.
I use TripAdvisor when planning every vacation. I found many helpful tips for our stay in Fort Lauderdale and staying at the W. Here are some tips that I found helpful as well as some I added myself...
• The pool area can be very hot at times, while the beach usually has a constant breeze, making it more bearable to catch a tan.
• Grab the sun-trolley right out front whenever possible. Very inexpensive and convenient.
• Water Taxi is nice but can be pricey and takes a bit longer.
• Las Olas Blvd. is wonderful !! www.lasolasboulevard.com ,Great restaurants !! Loved YoLo, Big City, Timpanos, Royal Pig Pub,
• Rocco Taco’s is a fun happening place, loved the cool light fixtures and the $23 pitcher of margaritas (excellent price!!! )
• W Hotel Pool has an awesome Coconut Basil Mojito! Can’t say enough! Delicious!
• CVS is walking distance from the W, located at Beach Place, has everything from aspirin to beer
• The W provides Bliss toiletries (very nice) and there is a make-up mirror in the room.
• The west pool is quieter while the front pool is livelier.
• It never hurts to ask for an upgrade.

Room Tip: It never hurts to ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Jodaley – Cheers to you on your anniversary! I am thrilled to read your getaway was a success, with the help of superstar Ryan. Thank you for leaving these great suggestions for our future guests, we hope to see you again soon.

Happy travels,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

My first stay at a W Hotel. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was very modern and the staff very friendly and helpful. The pool was great. The entire layout of the hotel was great as well as the room. I will definetly be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Howard O – We can’t wait to welcome you back! I am thrilled to read you enjoyed the dynamic design and bold décor. Thank you for sharing your review.

Until next time,

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was the second time my wife and I have stayed at the W in Fort Lauderdale. In our opinion, it is the best destination for a long weekend in the US... Perfect location, unmatched service, and an absolutely impressive hotel. Could not have had a better stay/time.

• Stayed: May 2013

Kyleodonnell – Wow, thanks for the lovely review. It was our pleasure to host you for your Fort Lauderdale getaway, we can’t wait to welcome you back again.

Happy travels,

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I am from Ft. Lauderdale but now live in California. I flew in for 2 days over Mother's day weekend. The hotel is either poorly managed or understaffed. I have to say my stay was truly unpleasant - lined up room service trays with old food in the hallways for over 12 hours despite several calls to get it cleaned (and not my food either) - rooms mediocre, room services taking well over an hour and a half for croissants and orange juice. Steak 954 had average food despite the high price. Overpriced and not worth it. Stay Somewhere else on the beach!

1  Thank Vamprrella

Vamprella – Thank you for sharing your review. I am disappointed to see your experience did not meet your expectations. Our In Room Dining management is researching your feedback and using this as a training tool for their team. We appreciate this information as it helps us to grow for future guests. Thank you again, we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

You can't go wrong with W Hotels, but as is usually the case with any brand, some properties are simply better than others. I'd say this W suffers a bit with regards to the actual rooms. They are very nice, but they are not remotely as nice as the rooms at the W South Beach. That being said, the hotel is quite impressive. The service was impressive. From valet, front desk, housekeeping, bartenders, to wait staff, we received nothing but excellent service.
The last time I stayed here, they upgraded me to the residence tower, and that suite was VERY impressive.

Room Tip: Maybe see if the residence tower has availability.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

MiamiBeachPaul – Thanks for the smiling review. I am delighted to know you enjoyed the dynamic design and Whatever / Whenever service during your recent stay at W Fort Lauderdale. Please keep in mind we do have several upgraded room categories in the hotel tower as well. Next time try a Cool Corner or a Mega Room! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I'm a local; my review is based on spending the day with my mother who's a guest. My experience is not of the guest rooms or front desk.

As with all W's the interior and decorative elements are trendy and beautiful.
With the exception of the pleasant/hardworking doormen; the property is understaffed.

Living Room and balcony had no servers.
One unhappy bartender for the entire indoor and outdoor space.
Non one to clean either? Gum/sand on floor, empty glasses and stained pillows on the inside. Stained and sand covered cushions on the outside.
No music playing which was strange?
Non-guests/customers using the Living Room bathrooms to change thier clothes.
Elevators needed to be vacuumed.
People storing luggage on the pool deck.
Kids running/fighting with water noodles.
Took 25 minutes to get a drink at the pool from a uncarring employee.
People from the neighboring Westin can use the pool? Hopefuuly they snuck in and this isn't poilicy.
Breakfast at Steak 954 was expensive considering the lack luster service and food. Our server was either very tired and hung-over. My eggs Benedict were chewy and over cooked.

Honestly; I'd like to love the W but in it's current state it's disappointing. Some attention to detail, higher standards and better staffing would go a long way...

2  Thank bowman716

Bowman716 – Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience while visiting your family at W Fort Lauderdale. We appreciate you sharing your feedback in regards to the public areas and have shared this information with our Style team. I have also shared your thoughts about STEAK954 with our restaurant management team. I am disappointed that your visit did not meet your expectations and our team is working on correcting these issues for our guests. We thank you for sharing this review, it means a lot to us from a Top Contributor. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you as a guest and give you the true W Fort Lauderdale experience you deserve.