“Flat out Gorgeous!”

Ranked #25 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Nassau, New Providence Island
“Flat out Gorgeous!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

First of all let me start by saying I love the W hotels. I love how ultra chic and up-scale they all are. This one was no exception. What I really loved about this property was how friendly everyone was. We were always greeted with a warm smile and a hello from everyone.

We had a lovely room with a gorgeous oceanfront view and it was spectacular. The bathroom was sexy...that's the only way I can describe it. It was one of those showers where you can opt to be seen from the bedroom and it was amazing. The décor as always was lovely and everything was really clean. Fluffy white towels, that heavenly lemongrass soap. I'm a big bathroom buff so I appreciated how nice it was. Don't get me started on the bed!

I slept like a baby the entire trip. I was ridiculously cozy. The rooms gave off a very settling ambiance and I appreciated every moment of that room.

We didn't eat at any of the restaurants this trip because you know it can get pretty pricey and it was more of a getaway then anything else so we ate off property a lot. It's a pretty expensive resort but you definitely get what you pay for.

I highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Just_Say_NO242 – Wow, thank you for the rave review! I will definitely be sharing your kind words with the rest of the Whatever/Whenever team. We can’t wait to welcome you back, another ridiculously cozy room awaits you.

Happy travels,
J Doucette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,159)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel faces the beach which is gorgeous and the pool, which we didn't get to use because of the weather, has an ideal location on the 5th floor terrace!
The interior is a little on the dark side but in fitting with the W group I'd say...
The service at the hotel was mixed - staff are generally quite helpful yet check-in was painful(slow) after our long flight and restaurant waiters were not welcoming to make a eggs florentine as opposed to a benedict when they did have the ingredients for the vegetarian option available on other dishes.
Interesting room design. Rather fun. But not sure everyone would enjoy a transparent shower!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
leena_lakhani - Thanks for taking the time to write your review on W Fort Lauderdale. While I am delighted to read you enjoyed the unique design and amazing views, I am disappointed to hear about your mixed feelings with hotel service. Both our Welcome team and restaurant team are addressing their teams in an effort to offer more consistent service to our guests. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Safe travels,
NYC, NY
Reviewed January 6, 2013

First I am a gold starwood member and am a fan usually of their hotel chains. My experience was incredibly bad.

On arrival no bellman to take bags

On check-in at 5 PM, rooms not available

Went to bar, where one poor waitress was covering the whole lounge area - obviousily drinks took quite a while

'Spectatcular' rooms were incredibly unspectacular - small, clocks not set properly, unimpressive bathhrooms

Room service that took about an hour when said it would be there in 30 minutes

All this for more than 500.00 per room per night

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mdski
Mdski – We appreciate you sharing your feedback from your recent visit to W Fort Lauderdale. I am disappointed to read there were several areas your experience did not meet your expectations, or mine. These are certainly not the kinds of memories we want our guests to leave with and are addressing each area mentioned in an effort to improve for future guests. We would welcome the chance to discuss your stay in further detail please reach out to GMscott.brooks@whotels.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Check in was quick and easy. The staff were helpful and friendly. We asked for a wake up call but did not realize that the ringer was turned off on our phone. They went out of their way by sending someone to our room to wake us up. The room was large with a very nice bathroom and furnished balcony with beautiful view. My husband and I would highly recommend this W which is right across from the beach and walking distance to bars, restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
YKJewel – Thanks for taking the time to share your lovely review and for spending your getaway with us. We are so glad that we could help this be a true escape for you - that's awesome! Can't wait for your return!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at the W Fort Lauderdale and we keep having great experiences. The hotel is visually stunning inside and out. The service was fantastic. You could definitely tell that the employees all have a customer centered approach and that good service is stressed here. Noboby says--"that's not my job" or walks by you without trying to make your experience more enjoyable, and even if there was someone at the W like that, I'm sure they wouldn't last long.

The pool is totally original, the pool deck is fantastic. Our favorite part is the shower in the room--very romantic. If you are staying in Fort Laurderdale, definitely recommend staying there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Palmerstyle – Thank you for the shining review. We are thrilled to read you enjoyed the dynamic design, signature Whatever / Whenever service and unique Wet Deck design. We can’t wait to welcome you back for stay number 3. Please reach out to us at GMscott.brooks@whotels.com prior to your next visit so we can welcome you personally.

Happy travels,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is a huge place - feels more like a carnival mega-ship than a hotel. At high season the place fails in service: lines for everything, over-crowded elevators (we had to wait 10 minutes for an elevator that had room for the two of us and our carry on bags). Enormous swimming pool area was mobbed. Weird, coldly designed bar areas. But here's the topper: bathrooms have no doors and are fully visible from the room through a huge window. This means that you can see everything that your room partner might be doing in the bathroom from just about any point in the room. What idiot architect designed this place? Our "wonderful" room wasn't.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Raherold – Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience at W Fort Lauderdale. I am disappointed to read your visit with us did not meet your expectations. I can appreciate that the style and vibe of W Hotels does not always meet every travelers taste. Thank you again, we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back here or to one of our many sister properties in the Starwood Family.

Chicago
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Checked in around 2:30 pm on a Sunday afternoon and was told that room was not ready yet, but would be available at or before 4:00 pm. We returned at 4:30 and were told that room was still not ready but would be ready soon, although they couldn't quantify how long "soon" was exactly. Approximately 20 minutes later we were informed that our room was ready. We then proceeded to our room, which was quite nice except for the glass pane in the shower that looked into the room and afforded no privacy, and waited over an hour for our luggage to be delivered. While we waited for our luggage we called twice and each time we were told that the luggage was on its way. As a result of the inconvenience the hotel caused us by their delays, they offered us a $100 "resort credit" which we did accept. As a Starwood Preferred Guest, according to the hotel's literature, a newspaper was supposed to be delivered to our door. Our stay was 2 nights and no newspaper was delivered on either day. When I went down to grab some of the "complimentary" coffee that was also advertized in the hotel's literature, I discovered that while the coffee was free, if you are a tea drinker like I am they charge you for that. So I guess the hotel thinks it's okay to discriminate against tea drinkers. Several of the channels on the television in the room either did not come in at all (ESPN, ESPN2) or a picture was visible but the sound was gargled to the point of being inaudible (ABC, FOX). Upon check out the bill was not correct. The $100 credit was not reflected in the statement and one of the charges at the pool bar called Wet was not correct. I pointed this out to the staff member at the front desk and was informed that she was unable to verify this because the hotel's computer system did not interface with Wet's computer system. We then had to wait (again) while she discussed the situation with a manager. I then spoke to a person who works with the people who manage Wet and she said they would review our bill and update our statement. In the interim I emailed the General Manager of the hotel, Scott Brooks, and explained our situation. That was five days ago and I have yet to receive a reply. I also contacted the accounting department at the hotel and left a voice message and have also had no reply. The updated statement is still incorrect and my credit card has been charged for more than what I actually spent. The complete disregard for customer service at the W Fort Lauderdale is appalling and unacceptable. Charging customers for more than what they spent is theft. We would have been better off staying at Motel 6. While the facility and the location are above average, the service -- or the total lack thereof -- render this hotel as a place that should be avoided at all costs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the Ritz Carlton.