“exceWent W, a few updates needed”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #26 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Austin, Texas
“exceWent W, a few updates needed”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

W FLL is a great hotel with everything you want of a W... a chic vibe, great location, sassy rooms, and a general departure from the usual business chain hotel. I had a Fabulous room, and the word described the room well both in category and style. Upper floor, with a great glass enclosed shower in the middle of the room that is perfect for that sensual getaway with a partner... um, but not so snazzy with your mom or other relative, or seniors, unless of the fun, spirited senior kind.
On the upper floors, because of the laws governing building design, the balcony becomes a bit of a shared space, with a short wall separating each room/suite for ocean front rooms, but perhaps not as much privacy as you would hope. If you have the ocean front corner or the suite on the other side, you have a fairly private patio, but the rooms in the middle are a bit exposed - so keep that in mind if you like to sleep with the curtains open, or shower with the curtains open, your neighbors will be able to see clearly into your room if they go to the edge of the balcony. A voyeur delight, to say the least, but a bit of a surprise if you are showering and wanting to enjoy the ocean view at the same time and see the neighbors peeking in.
I'm sure a few readers just went "ew" but trust me, don't let that deter you. The rooms and bed are very nicely laid out and overall very comfortable. The upgraded rooms are worth the splurge for the stay, and even more so for a special time together. The pool area and the living room are great, stylish, and I found very inviting, although if you hit the hotel on a quiet fall weeknight, versus the weekend, you'll find it amazingly quiet, almost dull for a W. The weekend is when this place lights up and shines, so make sure your stay includes the weekend to get the whole impact.
Is it the best W I've been in? No. The outside furniture is in serious need of an update - a lot of tears and bird droppings make up the average fabric chair outdoors. The air conditioner in the room was perhaps the loudest and most annoying I've ever had in a higher end hotel room. No matter what I did, I couldn't cool the room without an annoying blowing of air on the bed along with a Motel 6 level of noise from the unit. Some will love air blowing on them while they sleep, I personally hate it and it keeps me up all night. If you love air blowing on you and don't care about the sound of an air conditioning unit, then this will be great. If, like me, you don't want to hear the air conditioning unit and you want the ambient feel to be the right temp without the feel of air blowing on you, you may not be as happy. It's Florida, so I give a lot of space to hotels to deal with the humidity and temperature changes, but I've been in other hotels in FLL and deeper Caribbean where I haven't had that sound and air feel.
Does that mean you should not stay here? No, just some guidance to help find the hotel right for you. My best W remains the Barcelona hotel, but I'll admit, even with the modest shortcomings i noted, this is a great W that I will enjoy visiting again soon.
If you love W, want to do a great weekend stay, looking for a high end dining experience and great views from an ocean front room, a departure from your typical corp travel hotel, even a bit of big city, big lights feel, then this is a very good to excellent choice. Considering next door hotels, I'd easily choose this over the Hilton for a couple's getaway, and I would only choose the Westin for a more reserved stay that I'd book if bringing my mother (meaning, no glass enclosed shower in middle of the room, thank you). Begin a love, rekindle a love, enjoy a tryst, escape on your own, even stay here for business - it all works. But, from the room I had, leave the kids at home and plan grandma to be on another trip.

Room Tip: If private balcony is important, book a Wonderful room or lower floor Fabulous room. Otherwise, book...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank JDinAustin
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
JDinAustin – We appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed review with all the Tripadvisor loyalists. We especially enjoy hearing from a Senior Contributor. It is lovely to read you settled into your Fabulous room and soaked up all W Fort Lauderdale has to offer. I am sorry to hear about some of the opportunities you experienced. I have shared your feedback about the air conditioner and balcony furniture with our Stage (engineering) team. They are using this important information to update and enhance our property. Thank you again, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

J Doucette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,165)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel is an awesome property and I couldnt wait to write this review. Some friends of mine rented the Fabulous Suite on Dec 1st, Room 1005; and invited us up for dinner and the property itself is truly phenomenal. The size, the service, the smell and the decor all work well to compliment this excellent hotel. The suites are spacious and the kitchen is great. I would definitely return to this property and recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Shaun S – Wow! Thank you for the amazing review. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the dynamic design and bold décor of the hotel. We can’t wait for your return!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The W has a spectacular location across from the ocean, interestingly designed rooms. sleepable linens & beds, & a staff that's been drilled on maintaining a consistently positive attitude. A lot to like!
On the other hand: only 1 lav in the room, a shower curtain, lousy water pressure, a glass window that exposes the showerer, & spotty internet. Not ideal.
Overall: a property that looks better than it lives. But still pretty dang good.

Room Tip: The corner rooms provide great views & some extra space.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mbick – Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the location and dynamic decor although it is disappointing to see the design of the WC did not meet your expectations. I’m sorry to hear of the issues you experienced with the internet. We have addressed this with our IT team and are working on implementing improvements. Thank you again, you are welcome back anytime.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The hotel is absolutely fantastic. Everything you could want is here. You have to understand that this is a W Hotel so everything is geared toward 25-30 somethings. At night, the music is loud and the lights are low and there will be occasional rowdiness in the hallways. Therefore, if you are a family or want quiet 24/7, then this is not the place for you.

That being said, the hotel is upscale and trendy. The public areas are clean, large and at night are filled with people and loud house music. The bar is trendy but drinks are expensive. The room I had was an oceanview and had a balcony with stunning view of the Atlantic Ocean. The bathroom is well appointed and has a huge shower.

The hotel is located on the beach and near everything. So if you are accustomed to W hotels you won't be disappointed as this is the model for all W hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1234lolola
1234lolola – Thank you for the fantastic review. From sitting back and enjoying the ocean views to lounging at Living Room to exploring the local area; you really did it all! Thanks again, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Great experience. Wonderful staff. Very über chic atmosphere. Right across from the beach. Everyone (check in, valet, pool staff) were friendly and not a bit of snobby attitude.

As SPG members, we got an amazing ocean view.

Gym area, lobby with pool tables, and free morning coffee were nice perks

Wouldn't say this is kid-friendly, but for couples it's perfect.

We got a conference rate of $189 peak season. Great value.

• Stayed December 2012
TigerTides – Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent visit to W Fort Lauderdale. You have mentioned many of our best features, if we do say so our selves. I am excited to read you enjoyed all the amenities the hotel has to offer. You are welcome back, anytime!

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful experience during our one-night stay at the W Ft Lauderdale. This is the 3rd W Hotel that we've visited and the Brand continues to exceed my expectations with every stay. The staff was incredible, engaging us even before our arrival by recommending a stellar restaurant recommendation and even making the reservation for us! The Front Desk staff immediately recognized our SPG Gold status and upgraded us to a Fantasy Suite - it was amazing!!! We immediately regretted that we were only staying one night! The pool area was expansive and the gym provided a diverse array of equipment. Again, only regret is that we stayed just one night...

Room Tip: The Fantasty Suite is amazing...do whatever you can to reserve these rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethany Z – We appreciate your review and especially love hearing from our loyal Starwood Preferred Guests. Although your stay was short it sounds like it was sweet. We hope to welcome you back again soon, hopefully next time you can stay awhile. Thanks again!

Safe travels,
Ventura, California
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I had a wonderful expierence at the W Fort Launderdale. I stayed for 2 days before our cruise, then 5 days after the cruise. I planned our parents 50th Anniversary so I decided to get a suite with a kitchen at the beginning of the cruise so I could entertain our family in style. They loved it. It was such a great choice. It had an amazing view of the ocean and the intercoastal water way, we were on the 19th floor. I booked 3 standard rooms for our family and they loved it too. Everyone thought the beds were extreamly comfortable. I thought the staff was amazing! Since I had such great treatment I canceled my upcoming stay at the Westin next door, and re-booked with the W. I would not have made that decision if Sean at the front desk wasn't so helpful... I thought Id give the front desk a call to see if I canceled the Westin if I could get an upgrade (I'm SPG Gold) and it was Monday through Friday so he was happy to accomidate. I am so happy I decided to return to the W. I had a full kitchen and even a washer and dryer as well, so I could wash all my clothes after the cruise. I loved the pool and the view. I went to the pool every day beach every day. I also enjoyed walking right accross the street to the beach. I loved the W fort Lauderdale so much I did not want to leave!

Room Tip: Stay in the second tower if possible
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Janinvta – We were delighted to host you both pre and post cruise. Thank you for the kudos to Sean, I can’t wait to share your review with him and the rest of the hotel talent. Now that is a true example of Whatever / Whenever service. Thank you for the rave review, we hope to see you again soon!