“Highly recommend”

Ranked #4 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Gig Harbor
“Highly recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and would definitely stay here again. The owners have been remodeling the rooms and property and the inconvenience of walking around the construction workers and their gear, plus the noise of the workers, is the only reason I didn't give it a 5 rating. We were in a remodeled room and it was probably one of the cleanest, nicest rooms I've ever stayed in. The only negative comments I can come up with are that the pillows were lumpy (the owner advised that new pillows are arriving next week) and there is no shelf or table in the bathroom to put your toiletries on, nor is there a shelf in the shower to put your soap/shampoo on. The location across the street from the ocean is perfect, plus the motel provides beach towels and chairs. All the restaurants, bars and shops are within easy walking distance and the parking under the motel is very convenient, so if you do want to drive somewhere it is not a hassle.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cynthia M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Young owner Robert is a model for the American dream! A year and a half ago he bought the last remaining small hotel property on Ft Lauderdale beach that developers didn't get their hands on. He and his family are putting sweat equity and all resources into restoring this small property as a labor of love and his efforts show! They are still restoring daily. They were tiling the last guest room to be renovated while we were there and we saw lots of activity happening outside too. A new pergola was being built in the side yard which I can see turning into a tropical paradise. A cool deck overlooking the water is set up with tables and chairs for a great way to enjoy the view.

Our room had a partial ocean view and this place only has the street between it and the long sandy beach! It is close to restaurants and the strip with lots of local activity and a CVS within easy walking distance. The free parking under the building is a plus, though being an older property that was designed when cars were smaller, spaces are tight but completely negotiable as long as everyone pulls completely into their spot.

The rate is VERY reasonable considering the brand new refurbished rooms, cleanliness, location, and super pleasant service. I didn't ask why rates were below the market for the quality of accommodation but I'm guessing to make folks more tolerant of the daily activity with renovations and maybe help spread a favorable word. Had the rate been 20% higher I would not have complained about it and still would have felt it was a good value comparing it to the other options nearby. And for me, being able to support a small local business owner with such good integrity is a big plus. Construction was never intrusive or a problem for us and work wasn't going on early in the morning or after usual business hours. In fact it was a VERY quiet place that made for great sleeping. I never heard a peep between walls or outside activity at night though the place was full. Only 18 rooms might help some of that.

About the room. First and foremost for me is cleanliness in a room. Our room 404 was immaculate!

The tile floors in bare feet felt completely smooth and clean. The mattress, box springs and pillows are encased in zippered sleeves, an extra detail that even the big guys don't always do to keep dust mites and allergens down. I know because I look for bed bugs when I travel. I saw none.
The decor is modern and fresh with white walls and furniture and turquoise accessories.

Our room had a kitchenette which we didn't need but the dishes, flatware, microwave etc was squeaky clean. I would not have thought twice about using them had we wanted to. Coffee was provided but no creamer.

The bathroom was clean and bright with great lighting, walk in shower with a rain shower head in the ceiling and a nice decorative tile accent in turquoise keeping with their color theme. Towels were a good medium weight, and new looking. Even the chain's towels sometimes feel like cheese cloth. Not these.

Robert the owner and a non assuming ordinary guy checked us in. It is obvious that his efforts to do a good job and offer an alternative accommodation to the typical experience common near this tourist beach is being accomplished. It is a real delight to see that someone willing to work hard can take an old property like this one and turn it into something special. This place is well on it's way and I have every expectation that it will continue to improve with each renovation as an accomplishment for his greater vision.

This is not a paid ad. I am receiving nothing for my support other than the satisfaction in the spreading of good will. I am simply an ordinary traveler who appreciates when a business owner cares deeply for their work, wants to do a good job and is committed to doing so; the kind of small business owner I like to seek out (though I found them by accident) and support, and why I feel it's important to tell you so.

IF you're an ordinary person looking for a good value, from an ordinary (or maybe not so ordinary) guy with a great vision who is living his dream, support them, Go, enjoy and remember, if my review doesn't live up to your reasonable expectations in any way, tell Robert, not your friends because he's the only one that can do anything about it and the only one who cares to!

Room Tip: I only saw rm 404 . Two kings with kitchenette. Spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gale B
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

It's not a resort, its just a small motel right on th beach right out of the movie "Where the boys are" Its nestled between big giant newer hotel complexes, but has great views of the ocean..and a 5 mile beach with joggers, skate boarders and windsurfers of all walks of life. It's simple, its modern, its convenient (park under the building).. but not a resort. No amenities, no ice machine but you don't need all that. Its a small studio apartment on the busiest part of the beach.

The rooms are impeccablly clean and well maintained, I booked a single and got 2 king sized beds and 2 desks and the room had a kitchinette, an ikea style counter table and a generous sized bathroom. All this and you just step out the door onto the Ft Lauderdale strip and beach. I wanted to leave my door wide open. The Casablanca terrace rest next door is pretty nice and a starbucks on the other side.

Don't know what else to say I am hoping they will let me stay on an extra day. Its a perfect flat for a week and so convenient to check in and out its good for even one night!

Room Tip: Its like five stories and most rooms have some ocean views. But when you walk out your door, whereve...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed for only one night at the Ocean Holiday Motel and I would recommend it for short stays. I had a Kingsize room which was clean and quiet - that was what I've expected for the rate offered. There is an elevator and a free parking garage (could be a little bit tight for bigger cars). Beach is just on the other side and there are a lot of restaurants and also a Starbucks near by. Staff was friendly. They were stiil under renovation but that wasn't disturbing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank cep1234
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous week. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Our room was massive, with two king beds, a kitchenette and newly refurbished. Spotlessly clean and just a few steps across the road to the beach and ocean. Even free beach chairs and beach towels provided! Great eating place next door, easy walking to all amenities and a reserved parking space. No big frills but no big bills - perfect. Will be back.

Room Tip: It would be worth booking a sea view in the front, as view is stunning, however the rooms at back do...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul H
West Seneca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Ocean Holiday Motel Resort is located right on the beach, parking is included. The room itself was excellent, very large and clean. Service was excellent and the price was very affordable. Free WiFi was included.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MarkCromwell
West Seneca, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at the Ocean Holiday Motel Resort. What I look for is a clean room, good location, helpful service and a reasonable price.

The rooms were always cleaned very nicely, despite us being a bit messy with sand in our shoes from time on the beach. Our room (had two double beds), one for myself and my brother. It was very large and had a nice kitchenette.

The location was key. It was a right across from the beach along the major strip for Ft. Lauderdale. Feet from all the nice restaurants!

The service at the hotel was helpful. They recommended places to eat, let us check out a little late (because we had a late flight) and even helped me park my car one day.

Value - the price was very reasonable compared to other hotels.

Overall I have to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the ocean and others do not. If this matters to you, try calling before y...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family