“The little Giant.”

Ranked #4 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Boston, Massachusetts
“The little Giant.”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This Midget amoung Giants 18 room hotel is nicely located in the perfect area and is surrounded by Big Name, Big chain hotels that are more than double and triple in price. Clean, nicely appointed rooms with the amenities that you need when located on the beach. Currently under new ownership and being remodeled, the rooms, beds, and bathrooms are well worth the money for the location and view. The management is very hands on and parking is free. The place is walking distance in minutes to all the best night life and eating. Steps from the clean and warm beaches and I can not say enough good about this 3 star(not 2 star) hotel,and the true" Ocean Holiday" it is.

Room Tip: Ocean is steps away no matter what your views from the room are.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark R
Rob205, Owner at snooze, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for a great and entertaining review. You hit the nail on the head with regards to our philosophy on a place to stay. Why charge extra for items that should be complimentary! As you mentioned we offer free parking and wifi. We also offer free beach towels and beach chairs too. We aim to give everyone great value for money when they travel!
Robert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I just stayed there. What a pleasant experience!

The owner/manager just purchased this property about 6 months ago and is working very hard on some renovations. What has been completed looks great! For starters, the building is now white instead of the brick color shown in the photo. Even before arriving (we were not getting into town until late evening) the owner was very accomodating by making special arrangements to get our room key after the office was closed.

Since we usually stay at major hotel chains, of course we were a little nervous about our (my) choice. However, once we got there and saw our room, we were immediately at ease. So very cute and clean.

The location was AMAZING! This is a very nice area. Two hotels down one way was the Ritz Carlton and two doors down the other was was the Weston. We were within walking distance to lots of restaurants, bars and shops. The beach was right accross the street.

We will definately stay there again and will not hesitate to recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Auntiemame1946
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My friend and I recently stayed at the Ocean Holiday Motel while in FL for the BCS championship game. I would say that you definitely get good value for your money. I will start with the positives.
1. Excellent location - literally steps to the beach and shops, restaurants and bars all walking distance
2. Room was very clean - in some high end hotels I avoid looking too closely at baseboards and corners and such, especially in the bathroom. But our room was sparkling clean every day.
3. We had a queen double room with kitchenette and it was very large and bright. A/C kept is nice and cool.
4. Friendly and responsive service - Robert the owner was great as was everyone else we met who worked at the hotel. When we had some requests for something to be addressed in the room it was done within the few short hours we were out that day.
5. Undercover parking - in January it wasn't bad. But having a place to park your car in the shade during the warmer months is a big bonus.

As other reviewers observed Robert is working hard to renovate this establishment and is off to a good start. I think this place has great potential. The busy body in me has some suggestions to help things along :-)

1. Room was lacking a few basic amenities (maybe the feminine touch?) like lamps (all that was available was overhead lighting - no bedside lamp), hair dryer, clock and phone.
2. My mattress, while fine and I slept great, could probably use retiring :-)
3. A good space to relax outdoors and enjoy the ocean view (most rooms I think do not have an outdoor balcony). I would love to see the little outdoor balcony area over the front of the motel have something other than the picnic table. A few small tables and chairs would have been the perfect place to relax with a cocktail and people watch at the end of the day.

But all in a good experience

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlabamaKim
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Need a room for 1 night on a motorcycle trip down the coast. Planned to arrive after 6pm, and Robert made arrangements to wait for us. Location is fantastic within a few minutes walk to the corner of Las Olas and A1A where all the action is. Lots of parking on hand. Room was clean. Older motel showing its age. Seemed there was some updating going on to improve it. Bed was very comfortable. No issues.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond VA
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We wanted a reasonably priced room in the Fort Lauderdale area prior to embarking on a cruise. Because many cruises depart on Sunday and we had chosen a time that coincided with the BCS championship game in Miami such rooms were hard to find. This is an old motel in the process of being renovated. It is an excellent location, across the street from the beach, in Fort Lauderdale Beach. It was a little difficult for our taxi driver to find due to its limited street frontage and the fact that it is no longer pink but has been painted white. The tiny front office was manned by the owner, Robert, who seems to be trying very hard to upgrade the facility. We took the elevator to the outside balcony on which our room faced. The room was clean and had a new TV but it lacked some customary amenities such as a telephone and tissues. One lamp cord was not quite long enough and stretched across a corner. There was a great view of the ocean from the balcony outside our room. Robert was helpful in suggesting a restaurant and calling a taxi for us to go to the cruise terminal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John G
New York
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I came to Ft. Lauderdale for a vacation and to celebrate our 3 year anniversary. We wanted to stay right on the beach. Luckily, we found Ocean Holiday, which had the perfect location (very central- near bars, restaurants, and shopping!!), and the best affordable prices.

We took the ocean view king room which had a nice kitchenette with plates and glasswares available to use. There was a clean and comfortable white couch facing the large windows where we could admire the ocean- THE VIEW WAS AMAZING!!!!!

The house keeping lady kept our room clean everyday and we were very pleased.
The hotel is owned by a family who were so nice and accommodating. They gave us directions to places as well as recommendations to restaurants and clubs.

Overall, It was a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. The place was under renovation so I bet the next time we return, it will be even nicer! We fell in love with this boutique hotel and will definitely recommend it to everyone! Thanks Ocean Holiday!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annabel N
Toronto
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I booked at last minute, needed a place for 10 days 14-24 December, 2012. I booked this hotel because it was in the exact location I wanted to stay. I've stayed in this locale many times, stayed at various hotels, some high end, some lower end, so chose this place on a whim.
Got a call the day before from the hotel to confirm the booking,and to let me know that if I was to check in after a certain time, that they'd not be there, but would arrange to have the key to my room available. Kind of weird, but I thought no problem.
Anyway, checked in to my 303 room. The young lady who was there was pleasant and helpful. I noticed there wasn't a microwave in the room, and asked if I could use one if needed, she said sure, OK. I actually didn't know if a microwave was supposed to be included when I had booked, I thought it was, but wasn't a big deal.
The 303 room was what I had expected: large, bright, clean, big bed, big TV, fridge, coffee maker.
Next morning, I met one of the owners, Robert. I mentioned that the coffee maker wasn't working well. Also, I checked my itinerary for the room, and it said it included a microwave. Guess what he did ... he went out and came back shortly later with a new microwave and coffee maker. Wasn't expecting that, but totally was appreciated. Big, big plus in my mind.
Anyway, after a couple of days, I noticed that the 301 room which faces the ocean was vacant (the blinds were drawn open and one could see how large and bright the unit was), so I asked Robert if it was available, he said yes, and if I wanted, I could just pay the difference between what I had paid for the 10 days in 301. It was a reasonable difference, so I said yes. Anyway, he later said that 401 was available, too, and if I wanted, I could move in there. I said Yes. 401 is basically the best suite in the place, 3 walls of windows, bright, faces the ocean, spacious, kitchenette, everything. Loved it.
I would stay there again no problem. Love the place. Love the location. Beach across the street. Close to shopping, restaurants. What's not to like.
A couple of friends who live in Fort Lauderdale had come by to visit and basically were blown away. Apparently, it was beyond their expectations, too, and they're locals.
The place is undergoing renovations, but they're not really intrusive on your stay (replacing tiles on walkways, painting, etc).
The owners are proactive, on top of their investment. Very rare. This place will be even nicer later.

Room Tip: Get the 401 room (best), 301 room (2nd best), 201 room might be a little less private (common terrac...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo